Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

British Leyland Radio in a VW?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennys72bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

First post for me. Want to ask if anyone has installed a british leyland radio in their bug?? I have one and want to use it? Thanks Kenny. Oh I have a 1970 bug standard..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

If the form factor is standard, there's little reason why not (the windshield wipers may prove me a liar).

I just saw "British Leyland" and wait, what? I used to drive a '76 TR7. Awesome little car. But nothing is pretty enough to require that much expensive maintenance.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

PDX_VW_Erik wrote:

I just saw "British Leyland" and wait, what? I used to drive a '76 TR7. Awesome little car. But nothing is pretty enough to require that much expensive maintenance.

A number of years ago I mentioned to a British mechanic friend that two TR7s had come through our shop in the previous week. One had a 2.6 liter Mitsubishi engine and the other had a GM V6 with auto transmission.
"Ya." was his reply "Every now and then someone does that and puts a perfectly good mechanic out of work!"

About 10 years ago I bought a 944 from an old retired British doctor. His complaint was there was never anything to do on the car. When I went to pick it up he proudly showed me it's replacement - a TR7! He started it up, lifted the bonnet and proceeded to tweak those SU carbs with a happy grin! I must say he bought the right car, all I have done to the 944 since is change the oil! ... oh! and a timing belt.

The TR7 in my view was the ugly duckling, I love the looks of the TR6!

Last edited by oprn on Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

Is it positive "earth"?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Is it positive "earth"?

Good point! Most likely is.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

Great exam question for budding electricians.

How do you wire a positive earth radio into a negative earth car?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

It is more than likely negative earth, as British cars converted to negative earth shortly after BMC was merged into British Leyland in 1969.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
It is more than likely negative earth, as British cars converted to negative earth shortly after BMC was merged into British Leyland in 1969.

All the BL cars we had when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s (my Dad only bought BL Crying or Very sad ) were negative earth.

But why would you want to put anything BL in to a VW? I speak from experience when I say that BL products were pretty much all crap.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

All the BL cars we had when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s (my Dad only bought BL Crying or Very sad ) were negative earth.

But why would you want to put anything BL in to a VW? I speak from experience when I say that BL products were pretty much all crap.

The BL-branded radios installed in the U.S. were sourced from Bendix and Motorola, just like the Sapphires.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: British Leyland Radio in a VW? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

The BL-branded radios installed in the U.S. were sourced from Bendix and Motorola, just like the Sapphires.

Ahh. I forgot that you guys use different frequency ranges/bands.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: