Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any thoughts on this....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

My bus makes a horrendous rattle/vibration when accelerating (after about 25mph) in 3rd gear. At first I thought it was the gearbox failing for obvious reasons, but I've got a feeling something on the sliding door is vibrating.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this/is there something on the door that commonly starts to rattle? I've done thousands of miles and it hasn't got worse. With a noise like this, if it was the gearbox, I'm sure it'd have eaten itself by now! Oil level fine.

[Edit] I can instantaneously manipulate it with the throttle, the slightest movement will stop it. If I accelerate very slowly in 3rd, no rattle.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Well have you checked that it didn't get something like a plastic bag sucked into the cooling fan?
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Have you taken the panel off the inside of the sliding door to see if something is loose?
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Maybe you have a week ignition that will keep one or more of the cylinders from carrying its load at or near full throttle.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Well that's certainly unusual. Are you able to document it on video at all?
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

I would just remove the sliding door, takes a couple minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUrQfarOcb8

Drive down the street with it off..
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Yep, I've had the panel off the sliding door, nothing seemed loose. If I push the bottom of the door in where the runner fits into the track, it makes a noise that could be related, but I'm not sure why it would resonate to this extent. The door shuts solidly.

I'll try to catch it on video as suggested. Thanks for all the replies.
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Maybe you have a week ignition that will keep one or more of the cylinders from carrying its load at or near full throttle.

I'll investigate this too. Plugs, leads and distributor aren't old though, about 10,000 miles.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

What wild things said; opposing 4 cylinder engine plus mis-firing has caused horrendous vibration throughout my entire Bus at times in the past
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

you could rule out the sliding door by putting some thin foam or cloth in the top and bottom of the door jamb and close it.
Reverand Hope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any thoughts on this.... Reply with quote

ask a passenger to sit in the back and crawl around to see where it's actually coming from.
check obvious things like loose sliding door track cover panel, top and bottom roller bracket, loose tinware screws underneath etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: