Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

For my single cab I need to get the brakes in proper working order. However part of the problem is that my 70’s single cab was upgrade to disc brakes and I’m not familiar enough to know what to look for to determine which setup I need to follow in order to troubleshoot and fix.

So, in order to figure out what I have what components/part numbers/features should I be looking for?

I can post more detailed pics if needed so feel free to tell me what you need in order to help me. In the meantime this is the best pic I have.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as why I need to adjust/fix my brakes, I have the following issues:
None working emergency brake.
Very week braking power (the pedal seems fine there just isn’t any power behind it).

Oh and if it matters, I have a carbed type IV in this.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

I see no booster, just it’s bracket. There’s your trouble.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

tie rod lookie bent too. The brakes don't look connected. I see a booster, master cylinder and servo rod in your life, maybe more depending what else has been removed.

I suggest you learn how to use the VW fiche, and also the Bentley manual. Otherwise it will be a very long road. Or, hire someone like Robbie or Colin to make you a list.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Can you tell what year it is? Or were all disc brake setups the same? If they are all the same then I can use my 77 as guide to what I need.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

the calipers for a standard '77 have two bleeders, both high & low,
so if you have that feature, you likely have Type IV powered bus calipers.
Also, as mentioned, the booster is missing from that empty bracket at right.
Also, you are missing the splash shield, unless you removed it for clarity ??
Your parking brake issue could be frozen adjusting stars, there are four in the
rear brake shoe system, two per side under rubber access grommets in the
rear backing plates. Those freeze up & the linings continue to wear & bingo,
no more parking brake. : (
That gets solved with drum removal & star extraction & re lubing the pockets.
+ star wheel adjust. You may also discover that the parking cables are
seized from lack of use, more re lubing or replacement.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

When sorting out what part fits after 40 years of repairs I compare what I have in my hand to pictures from vendors web sites ie.brake shoes

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

There was a change in the disc brakes between the '72 and '73 model year and there were two different brands of calipers used, with the ATE design being the more common.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
When sorting out what part fits after 40 years of repairs I compare what I have in my hand to pictures from vendors web sites ie.brake shoes

That's a terrible practice. Those online photos are frequently not the actual part being sold. Make the vendor take a pic
of the actual part and send you a copy if there's any question. This ESPECIALLY goes for bus brake shoes.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
pioneer1 wrote:

That's a terrible practice. Those online photos are frequently not the actual part being sold. Make the vendor take a pic
of the actual part and send you a copy if there's any question. This ESPECIALLY goes for bus brake shoes.

Take the parts down and flop them on the counter of a decent FLAPS and let them match them for you. This way you won't be paying shipping to send the incorrect parts back and forth across the country.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
pioneer1 wrote:

Take the parts down and flop them on the counter of a decent FLAPS and let them match them for you. This way you won't be paying shipping to send the incorrect parts back and forth across the country.

^this
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Build it as a ‘78 and you’ll always have spare parts for both Wink

Are the rear rims still “wide five?” Nothing like carrying two spare tires...
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Robbie

What would that entail? Besides the currently missing items does that mean a new front beam? New spindles?

What would change on the 77?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Robbie

4 if they are directional tires. Smile
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

This is where having a relationship with a qualified VW mechanic familiar with your era bus is invaluable.

If it was me (FWIW I like to think I am an OK DIY Guy), I would bring it to my mechanic, tell him my concerns, have him inspect my vehicle and make recommendations on the way forward. Included in the discussion for the repairs, would be things I could do vs paying him to do them. I often find out during these discussions that for a reasonable sum of money, I can have him deal with it and be assured it is done correctly.

I boils down to you a mutual respect and relationship.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Think this way, and this is an extremely general list from memory... Please jump in and make a correction if something isn’t correct.

Rims go:
71+

Beams go:
68 (63?) to super early 70.
71-79

Spindles go:
68 (63?) to 70.
71-79

Master cylinders go:
68-69
71-79 (lots of small changes to reservoirs, boosters, and plumbing.)

Front brake setups go:
68 (63?)-70
71-72
73-79

Rear brake setups go:
68-70
71-79 (though there are small irrelevant changes that I am unaware of.)

///

From your picture, I can only see a 71+ beam, and some kind of 71+ disc brake setup. It’s hard to make a decision without knowing what you have. It may be easier to retrofit an early drum setup, or upgrade the rear to the narrow five setup. Having two different rims/hubcaps is whack; aesthetics aside you would have two different spares and proper tire rotation would be impossible. There may be pressure/hydraulic differences between the setups as well.

Consider the late bay proportioning valve is only available used, even from the best sellers...

Once we know what you have all around, your path will be more clear.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Thanks! On my next day off I’ll take pictures of the front and back setups to see where I’m at.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Alrighty! Wheels are off and pics are up. Both tires are the same size 195r140 (I don’t know if that means the rear are(n’t) five wide). I see an upper and a lower bleeder screw on the disc brakes so it’s at least a 77 setup up front?

The rear drums require I remove the castle nut (which I don’t have the proper tools for yet) so they are likely to be an original 1970’s setup, correct? I may be wrong on this. I’m going to try and pull the drums.

So I know I need a brake booster but what about a master cylinder? Does this one look correct?

I would like to go to a later setup in the rears mainly for ease of maintenance. That would require new backing plates, drums/pads, and a new hub as well, correct? Anything else? Does the hub require a press to install?
Is there any reason not to upgrade to a later years setup?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Assuming your rears are '73 or newer they are the latest that were available unless you go to the Vanagon system with automatic adjusters, but which has its own problems.

You will want the weight sitting on the rear wheels when you go to remove the nuts on the rear axle unless you have an impact gun that is up to the challenge. Way safer that way.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Alrighty! Wheels are off ....

The rear drums require I remove the castle nut

I don't think they do. Those drums will come off with gentle prying and taps with a rubber mallet - alternate sides.

Last edited by wagohn on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Alrighty! Wheels are off ....

The rear drums require I remove the castle nut

I don't think they do.

You can't replace the outer rear wheels seals and add make up grease to the bearings with the hubs in place, so your brake job is only half done if you don't deal with the nuts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: