Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
wagohn wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Alrighty! Wheels are off ....

The rear drums require I remove the castle nut

I don't think they do.

You can't replace the outer rear wheels seals and add make up grease to the bearings with the hubs in place, so your brake job is only half done if you don't deal with the nuts.

Understood, but you still don't have to remove the castle nut to remove the drum. This confused me as a newb and I went looking for a suitable socket. Then I realized the drum came off independently.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

I got the drum off finally what a pita. It wasn't stuck to the hub and it spun freely so I don't know what it was. I eventually just opened the bleeder valve to see if it was just some tight shoes. After that I finally got it off. The good news is that everything is as dry as a bone, a rusty bone but dry.

This may be a dumb question but if I get the did brakes working with the type IV motor, what will I have to do if I swapped it for a type 1? The reason for doing this is because I have a type 1 motor I could use while I refurbish and convert the type 4 to FI.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

All the motor does is supply manifold vacuum for the power brakes to work, so there will hardly be a difference between the two.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
All the motor does is supply manifold vacuum for the power brakes to work, so there will hardly be a difference between the two.

On the type 4 that comes from the plenum right? Where does it come from on the type 1?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

It looks like someone put an early bay MC and late bay brakes all over. You could get the proper late booster and MC, since you have the mounting plate and likely want fresh components anyway. (The new boosters I’ve tried have all been pretty uncontrollable. Go for a rebuilt original, or Guinea Pig the genuine VW boo$ter available from BD for us.)

I don’t know if the MC internals are different early to late, but factory discs without the booster suck, in my opinion. Is there a proportioning valve? You’ll want that if you keep the front discs. Pay special attention to the mounting angle; get it wrong and you will have spooky random lockups.

Power brakes do not care what powers them. You could stick a [insert engine here] in there, and your brakes will feel the same as your late bay..

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

On the type 4 that comes from the plenum right? Where does it come from on the type 1?

It comes from the intake manifold(s) same as it would for a carbureted Type 4.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

As far as the T1 vacuum hookup, I harked this pic from busdaddy’s gallery... see the 1/2” hose running over the coil? It connects at the junction of the vertical/horizontal intake manifold pipes, so even if you mash your foot on the brakes it won’t interrupt airflow too much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For parts searching, its essentially the same manifold as the auto-stick Type 1 engines, though some purveyors of those part$ think they shit gold bars or something....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

I did not see a proportioning valve.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm getting my plan together and making a parts list.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake maintenance time for unknown PO swap Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I did not see a proportioning valve.

One can drive without a proportioning valve, but would be more apt to skid the rear tires in a hard stop and thus lose directional stability.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: