Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor Advice!
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PolishBelairBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

I recently bought a vw trike that resembles a baja from the back. I have been working on it for a few weeks now. I need advice on a replacement carburetor. This vehicle has been sitting around for sometime. I replaced the fuel pump and all the standard ignition parts. I now have a good spark and fuel to the carb. I did a compression test and have about 130lbs in each cylinder.Oil change. It has a Scat # 30099 intake. The carb is a holley r-6666-1 with no parts available. I,m retired and budget minded.So far I found a holley 350 cfm two barrel #0-744-8sa for $415 (too much for me ) and a weber dfev # 3516601 for $316. I want a carb that is a easy installation with little tuning.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Does anyone maybe have a good used carb for the scat #30099 manifold? Cool Frank ( I'm new with pictures and messed up)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by PolishBelairBug on Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

If it was me I would remove the Scat manifold and put a stock intake with a 34 PICT 3 carb on it. You can usually find them pretty cheap used.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

I am in the stock carb camp for a single carb. VWs really benefit from the factory heat riser tubes to keep the single carb from icing.
Or go with dual carbs. The short intake connected to the hot head keeps them from icing.
The stock heat riser system only works well with a pretty stock exhaust.
PolishBelairBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
If it was me I would remove the Scat manifold and put a stock intake with a 34 PICT 3 carb on it. You can usually find them pretty cheap used.

I have also been considering going with a stock carb and manifold.
PolishBelairBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
I am in the stock carb camp for a single carb. VWs really benefit from the factory heat riser tubes to keep the single carb from icing.
Or go with dual carbs. The short intake connected to the hot head keeps them from icing.
The stock heat riser system only works well with a pretty stock exhaust.

I'm convinced I will go back to stock single carb. Would a 30/31 pict be a good choice? I like to keep things simple.My question is how will it run with the baja type exhaust? I would like to keep it if I can?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

I like the Brosol H30/31 a lot. They are newer and tend to be a lot less worn than the Solex carbs. But they do have a smaller Venturi than the Solex 34 PICT so it will restrict your top end some. And don’t know much about trikes and how they work best.
PolishBelairBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
I like the Brosol H30/31 a lot. They are newer and tend to be a lot less worn than the Solex carbs. But they do have a smaller Venturi than the Solex 34 PICT so it will restrict your top end some. And don’t know much about trikes and how they work best.

I forgot to mention I have the bosch 09 mechanical distributor. How will the Brosol or solex work with that setup?
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

I guess this is a stock 1600? I didnt see any motor info posted, other than compression test results. I would have thought that info would be pertinent to suggesting a carburetor.
PolishBelairBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
I guess this is a stock 1600? I didnt see any motor info posted, other than compression test results. I would have thought that info would be pertinent to suggesting a carburetor.

As far as I know it is a stock motor.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

I think 009s are poor distributors. I typically run a 30/31 and 205M vacuum only combination. Works great and just sips the gas.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

(But I am a distance driver, not a race driver)
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

if i was OP id get a cheapo 32/36 weber off ebay- one can be bought on there for about $100. are they as good as original? no. but they are usable, and i prefer those waaaaay over a picts. ive just never had good luck with them and the ones i have gotten to run right are still dogs and choke the engine. i know some ppl hate the 32/36 or 38/38 style carbs too though, just personal preferences
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Advice! Reply with quote

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: