Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squareback engine deck
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

A couple questions for the knowledge base. I am wire wheeling down the rust around the engine deck and came across a couple issues. First, I have the engine cover on, but is there any danger from the sparks being thrown off the wheel? I have the windows protected but I've never used an angle grinder with a wire wheel so I didn't know if I was playing with fire...literally! Second, in the picture, the red marks indicate a popped up area. Probable from a small accident. What is the best way to get that banged back down and flat? Im getting it ready for some POR15 or other suitable protectant. Thanks, Leo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

Hammer and dolly that bump back down. Engine cover will have to come off. There should not be that many sparks coming off the wire wheel. If you were running a flap disc there would be more sparks, and more metal removed.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Hammer and dolly that bump back down. Engine cover will have to come off. There should not be that many sparks coming off the wire wheel. If you were running a flap disc there would be more sparks, and more metal removed.

It’s not a ton of sparks, but I think it’s the rust particles coming off... I think I’ll get a welding blanket to cover the engine because I will need to clean out the seal channel as well. HF here I come. I’ll have to get my first hammer dolly set as well!
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

leoasman wrote:
A couple questions for the knowledge base. I am wire wheeling down the rust around the engine deck and came across a couple issues. First, I have the engine cover on, but is there any danger from the sparks being thrown off the wheel? I have the windows protected but I've never used an angle grinder with a wire wheel so I didn't know if I was playing with fire...literally! Second, in the picture, the red marks indicate a popped up area. Probable from a small accident. What is the best way to get that banged back down and flat? Im getting it ready for some POR15 or other suitable protectant. Thanks, Leo

You can get that bump to go away, but your whole rear end is bent down and forward a few mm. I'm sure you rear hatch is not fitting perfect. That inside piece doesnt get bent only by itself unfortunately. Check the lines of the drip rail, and for outer bowing of the rear fenders. It will only be very slight, but you'll see it I'd bet.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

ibldrc wrote:
leoasman wrote:

You can get that bump to go away, but your whole rear end is bent down and forward a few mm. I'm sure you rear hatch is not fitting perfect. That inside piece doesnt get bent only by itself unfortunately. Check the lines of the drip rail, and for outer bowing of the rear fenders. It will only be very slight, but you'll see it I'd bet.

I’ll check it out!

Thanks,
Leo
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

Based on what is described it looks like it could use a well placed pull on an automotive frame machine. No way to really get it right without reversing whatever inertia caused the damage to happen. You probabaly got hit on you rear left fender by a truck or other "tall" car and it pushed down the whole area which caused it to buckle in that spot.

The other less likely cause would be some previous owner letting the car drop on a jack stand or maybe if the car ran over some stuff like a bunch of furniture or large rocks.... idk !

Does the decklid fit a little funky? Any other evidence of previous collision repairs in the that corner of the car?
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure it got hit at some point, but either a PO took care of any major issues or it was otherwise lightly damaged. Drip rails are straight. No bowing on the panels that I see. The bumper mounts were redone at some point... I was able to get the panel mostly flat with a hammer and dolly set.

I have a donor piece to replace the rusted section. Would you guys just patch in a piece like this

Or would you do a larger section? I figure that I could drill out the spot welds on the little overlap piece from the backseat area and weld it in underneath. That way it becomes unseen. But this area will always be covered with padding/carpet so maybe not worry about it and weld in the smaller patch.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

I would go from the backseat area to the lid seal. That way you only have longer welds on the left and right side. Front and back will be only spot welds than. Make the panel as large as needed. You will need good metal to weld . Just cut the rust out until you have solid material.
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
I would go from the backseat area to the lid seal. That way you only have longer welds on the left and right side. Front and back will be only spot welds than. Make the panel as large as needed. You will need good metal to weld . Just cut the rust out until you have solid material.

Good tips! Thanks!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

Yes I agree. Do as large of a panel as you feel comfortable with. It's really no big deal to weld in new metal, you'll be glad you did it. I'd even go all the way to/past that "buckled" or wrinkled area you pictured.

Make sure you dont leave any rust, especially trapped behind anywhere. Clean everything very well before welding with flap discs, wire wheels, rolocs, sander, etc. Final clean with acetone.

I would use some 18 gauge mild sheet steel or equivelant scrap metal. Make sure you grind/sand the new panel clean. ( 20 gauge is a bit too thin)

You can use cardboard to make a trial test panel to dial in fitment.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

leoasman wrote:
I’m pretty sure it got hit at some point, but either a PO took care of any major issues or it was otherwise lightly damaged. Drip rails are straight. No bowing on the panels that I see. The bumper mounts were redone at some point... I was able to get the panel mostly flat with a hammer and dolly set.

I have a donor piece to replace the rusted section. Would you guys just patch in a piece like this

Or would you do a larger section? I figure that I could drill out the spot welds on the little overlap piece from the backseat area and weld it in underneath. That way it becomes unseen. But this area will always be covered with padding/carpet so maybe not worry about it and weld in the smaller patch.

Cut/Weld in the smaller section. You will be sorry if you cut out/weld in the heavy duty multi layer front corner!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

Sand down/wire brush all the rust off the whole area and see what you are left will. DO NOT decide how big the patch will be BEFORE you remove the rust. You need to see what and how much good metal is under the rust. It's hard to tell how bad it is just looking at it now with all the scale on it.

It's a tough one. How big is your donor panel? Most proper way to to fix this is to replace the whole panel. Or atleast all the damaged parts. Don't settle for a smaller shape just to make the work more convienient... that is a bad tradeoff.

You could patch it, it would work, If I was going to do a patch I'd butt weld it in with NO overlap. Harder to do but the only proper way to do a patch IMO.

To replace the whole panel is pretty involved so idk if you are up for that. Having the pan off makes it easier also. Maybe just patch it for now and then you or someone else can do a full pan off restoration in the future.
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Sand down/wire brush all the rust off the whole area and see what you are left will. DO NOT decide how big the patch will be BEFORE you remove the rust. You need to see what and how much good metal is under the rust. It's hard to tell how bad it is just looking at it now with all the scale on it.

It's a tough one. How big is your donor panel? Most proper way to to fix this is to replace the whole panel. Or atleast all the damaged parts. Don't settle for a smaller shape just to make the work more convienient... that is a bad tradeoff.

You could patch it, it would work, If I was going to do a patch I'd butt weld it in with NO overlap. Harder to do but the only proper way to do a patch IMO.

Thanks Evan. It’s definitely on the back burner for now. It’s very hard to get to with the engine in place. I’ll have to wait to get it done during a full tear down planned for later!

To replace the whole panel is pretty involved so idk if you are up for that. Having the pan off makes it easier also. Maybe just patch it for now and then you or someone else can do a full pan off restoration in the future.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback engine deck Reply with quote

I said that replacing the whole panel is the most "proper" way... well that is true, but only to an extent with a vintage car.

Sometimes if the damage is localized to only one area then a patch can be a good permanent solution, the problem is that many times it is not. It might look ok but then after closer inspection you notice the spot welded seam over to the side is starting to rust out too (just a 'for example' scenario, not saying you have that problem.)

Lets say you have a floor pan from a car that has been stored in a perfectly dry building, but an old battery sat inside and rotted out the section just below it... that might be the perfect time to patch since the floor pan is solid everywhere else. Replacing it fully would actually be more invasive IMO since 95% of the floor pan is perfect and original.

But in many other cases the rust spreads more evenly everywhere and at the seams, even if there is only one spot that seems really bad at first...

So it really depends... sometimes its helpful to try and figure out how the rust occured. Where did moisture come it from? Where are the low spots, etc?

My main advice it to simply sand off all the paint and bring it down to bare metal at least 6 inches past where you think damage ends and then wire wheel it until you see shiny metal everywhere. The deep rust
and damage will become very clear at that point...

You will be fine either way it's a pretty straight forward repair in either instance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: