Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restauration of 71 411 wagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Hawker wrote:
Abel,

Keep it standard and use the white undercoat. It’s possible that there could be a very slight colour difference if you use the black undercoat.

These cars, had a white undercoat applied at the factory.

My advice to you, after everything is painted, and before you fit the trim, is to flood those sills/rocker box sections with old engine oil on a warm day. It will protect from the inside, it soaks into any urethane foam and it prevents condensation. Of course, after a few months of warm dry weather you can then inject a wax, but the oil is best to inject first.

BR,

Rob

Hi Rob,
thanks for your comments and advise regarding the oil on the sills. Hopefully, by the time I am done with the bodywork it will be warm enough to try that method..
I am tempted to use black undercoating, but for now I might just leave it as it is. There is plenty more I need to do on this car. And I have not even touched the mechanical side of it,
cheers,
Abel

Last edited by Abelclasico on Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Abel,

Your car is looking really great, the metalwork is coming along nicely. Ray's post about rust proofing is also a good source for stopping rust once and for all.

What color do you plan on painting it?

Keep us posted, it's awesome to watch your progress.

Ron

Hi Ron,
yes, I am following Ray's tutorial on stopping rust on the car. It has helped me tremendously.
As for color, I am very far from that stage yet. I kind grey metallic, (I think) its original color.
thanks,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Hawker wrote:
Abel,

Keep it standard and use the white undercoat. It’s possible that there could be a very slight colour difference if you use the black undercoat.

These cars, had a white undercoat applied at the factory.

My advice to you, after everything is painted, and before you fit the trim, is to flood those sills/rocker box sections with old engine oil on a warm day. It will protect from the inside, it soaks into any urethane foam and it prevents condensation. Of course, after a few months of warm dry weather you can then inject a wax, but the oil is best to inject first.

BR,

Rob

Yes....that hard undercoating from the factory was white. In a few places it could be very slightly off white....not quite beige....between white and almond....but mostly white.
Then it was painted body color...but not a very thick layer of body color. I WILL get a picture of my "black dusted" white undercoat with a fender back on it when I get home tomorrow. I'm on the road right now.

I may simply do that...paint it body color when the time comes....but the thought process with doing that...is that it would need primer before putting it on to make sure it stays on. That means scuffing everything up etc.

One thing I know is that once the fenders are on its almost impossible to see the body color under the fenders ....so it was hopefully a good method to leave it black undercoat under there. Ray

Hi Ray,
I really liked what you did with the undercoating: white + dust of black. It is a very neat effect. I might try that....or paint it all black,
cheers,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Hello,
thinking ahead about the next job, I am debating whether to repair the front right wing or try to find a path for it. I have had this ad https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/add.php?id=2408810 for some time now without any luck. Maybe somebody has what I need,
cheers,
Abel
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Nice work Abel. Keep the pictures coming!

Walter
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

While I continue to make progress on the repairs, I wanted to ask here about some parts that came with the car. There seem to be some sort of bumper bars but I know that they do not belong to the car or to any Beetle for that matter. They look somewhat similar to the ones on early Karmann Ghias, but I am not 100% sure. Can anyboy shed some light on this mystery item?
cheers,
Abel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Maybe parts of a roof rack?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Maybe parts of a roof rack?

Or...possibly some kind of under dash rack?

Don't know.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Maybe some brazillian vw overriders? Take a look at fiat 850 spyders. They had stuff similar to this.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Umm, kind of similar to the 850 Spider indeed.

Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Merry Christmas everybody!!
Since we are all at home enjoying our presents, I thought I would share the latest development. Driver's side done!!!

Door jam needed some patching

...as well as the rocker panel

...and the driver's door

...and one side done

**I purchased a replacement front wing...but arrived with a big dent that I had to fix Mad

ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

The driver's side is looking really great, Abel. You can tell that a lot of work has been done The front fender is looking especially nice. I'm enjoying watching this car come together.

Is this the car that you have listed in the classifieds?
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
The driver's side is looking really great, Abel. You can tell that a lot of work has been done The front fender is looking especially nice. I'm enjoying watching this car come together.

Is this the car that you have listed in the classifieds?

Thanks Ron. I always wanted to restore a car.... and this 411 showed up. I enjoy working with metal, sanding and painting and that's where I am concentrating in right now. Being an avid model kit builder has been an invaluable training for this.

I do not know my final plans with the car (as it currently does not have a title), but wanted to test the waters and see if anybody is interested in it. I have my eyes on another 411 in better shape, but in the meantime I keep working on mine. It has been so far a very enjoyable experience and I am learning a lot from all of you guys here.
More progress hopefully soon,
cheers,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Moving forward, literally...I have been working on the front of the car. Despite the first picture, it was not too bad. Just some minor rust were somebody had applied some paint over and dents.
After removing all the paint, I fixed some dents but was unable to remove one that is actually too low for me to push it out. I cannot reach it from inside the trunk as that panel is actually under the wheel well.
As you can see, it is noticeable with the primer on. I know that I could try to weld some rods/bolts, pull the dent out, and fill the holes with some weld. However, I am concerned with how thin the metal is on that area and if I try to weld there, it will make things worse.
Anybody has any suggestions on how to pull that dent out?,
cheers,
Abel

PS: I decided to fill the holes for the license plate as NC does not require a front one.

Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Headlight buckets and trim are now done. I decided to remove the rust from the buckets using a 'gentler' (but slow) method: electrolysis. After leaving the buckets for a couple of days, I gave it a good brush, applied some Oxygone + Marterseries + primer.

It is actually quite a good method that requires patience but the results are worth it. I also sanded the surrounds and gave it a nice coat of paint to make them more presentable.

As for the hood, after removing some dents and surface rust, I was able to lay a couple of coats of primer. Upon inspection, there are still some imperfections that I will need to address later on.

All in all, a very profitable couple of weeks. I will be soon ready to concentrate on the passenger's side,
cheers,

Last edited by Abelclasico on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Quick question: are these drain tubes particular to 411/412 or are they found on other VW models?
thanks,
Abel
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abel, those headlights look wonderful! Things are really looking up. Keep up the good work.

Walter
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
Abel, those headlights look wonderful! Things are really looking up. Keep up the good work.

Walter

Thanks Walter. It is very rewarding to see how the car is gradually coming back to life. I was actually tempted to put the front bumper and turn signals back on....just to lift up the spirits a bit more! Very Happy
cheers,
Abel
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abelclasico wrote:
Quick question: are these drain tubes particular to 411/412 or are they found on other VW models?
thanks,
Abel

I will check the book to be sure.....but I believe they are wagon only. Ray
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

interesting. I was helping a friend clean up his shop and found one of these in a box on miscellaneous VW parts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: