Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restauration of 71 411 wagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

I like the paint can lid approach! Very Happy We don’t need to deal with the gougers.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abelclasico wrote:
I totally agree with you Ray. I 'politely' declined the offer for $65 (2 covers) + $ 15 shipping and decided to look somewhere else.

I think I will fabricate my own the same way I did for the spare wheel compartment. I am thinking that even paint can lids (after some modifications) will do,
cheers,
Abel

Let me look in my collection and see what I have. I might have one or two.

The difficult one will be the small oval cover that covers the gas tank upper mounting bolt. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, I might have located one of the round ones (on picture, number 1). The other round one, I can try to fabricate it. As for the oval one....we will see,
thanks,
Abel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abelclasico wrote:
Thanks Ray, I might have located one of the round ones (on picture, number 1). The other round one, I can try to fabricate it. As for the oval one....we will see,
thanks,
Abel

The oval one should be the same as the cover that goes over the heater glow plug and coil on sedans.

Post the diameter of the other ones. Ray
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

I got the big one from appalachianairandwatercooled. A lot cheaper than the other vendors.

The smaller round one has the following dimensions

...and the oval one

Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

I received my car with just a bill of sale and decided to see if it was possible to apply for a title in NC. There were no plates and the old title was never found.

I was told at the DMV that, in order to initiate registration I need to obtain a
'indemnity bond'. They gave me a bunch of documents that I am still trying to decipher. Before I spend time and money on it, I wanted to ask all of you aa few questions:

1) has anybody gone through the same process (car sold with bill of sale)? I know that each state has their own regulations.
2) how difficult/expensive is that?
3) is it really worth it?
thanks,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

While I wait to find out how to deal with the DMV...I could not be idle and decided to salvage some of the lids/covers from the trunk. I managed to weld a piece to the oval one to make it decent. It is not perfect, but since it will be eventually covered by carpet, it will not be too noticeable.

My approach to use a paint can lid for the round one (#2 on previous post) did not work as they are either too small or too big. I will try to repair it welding more metal too. These little jobs, while rewarding, do not seem to push the project forwards.
cheers,
Abel

NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abel, every bit helps! While this will not help you with the DMV, I had the same problem with my car in British Columbia, Canada. The car originally came from Oak Harbor, Washington and then was imported but never registered in BC. My process was to send in a letter to the provincial government and $7 to request information about registration. The government sent back a response that it had not been registered (which I already new). Then I wrote out a statement with all the information I had gathered about the car, had it notarized for $17, and then I was able to register the car and buy storage insurance. That was a big relief since you do not want to spend thousands only to have it impounded years later.

Cheers,
Walter
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Thanks Walter. I try to keep myself motivated by doing something on the car every day.

I went to our DMV in Carrboro yesterday to inquire about the title. That was 'easy' enough.... The lady just handed me a bunch of forms that I need to feel out and bring back. I basically need an 'indemnity bond' (value of the car, insurance, notarized forms...) before proceeding with requesting a title. This sounds just like the kind of things that I am not very fond off: paperwork. I will see how much all this process is going to cost and if it is worth it. I would not be happy to pay more for the title than the actual value of the car.
When I got the car, very little was known about it. The previous owner had passed away and his dad did remember the provenance of the vehicle. No plates or title was found. I found, however, several stickers on the car that indicate that it might have been in NC all its life. Let's hope that will make it easier to apply for the title.
cheers,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

It is still too cold to be out working on the 411, so I decided to try to inventory all the extra parts that came with the car. I am thinking about putting them up for sale here in order to fund my restoration. Before I do that, I thought it would be appropriate to offer them to the members of this forum. I am attaching some pictures and a list of what I have. If you see something you need, let me know and we can work out fair prices,
cheers,
Abel

List of parts included:
-brand new rear tires + refurbished rear wheels.
-refurbished front and rear bumpers + brackets
-refurbished front and rear lenses
-driver’s front wing replacement. I purchased it from Jan Blair but never installed it.
-set of extra front doors + hatch
-set of extra side glasses (4 in total)
-set of extra arm rests
-complete set of window trim + door trim + wheel arches trim
-used wiring loom
-used set of gauges
-several manuals
-used door and window seals
-used rear axles
-used safety belts
-used air filter
-used heater unit
-used gear selector + housing
-used pushrods from a Porsche 914
-other miscellaneous parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m_DKgRsxJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8_rZmBDmvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVAPUhfoWvM

Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

quick question: are 411/412 gauges particular to this model or are they found on other VW models?
thanks,
Abel
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Later T1 Karmann Ghia’s use the same clocks, Abel.

BR,

Rob
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I found them on a box of spare parts and was thinking about selling them. If anybody is interested, please, let me know,
cheers,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

After a few weeks of cold and rainy weather, today we finally got some sun and warmer temperatures to continue working outside.
I am glad to say that the driver's side is now finished!! I tidied up the rear driver's side wheel well today. That factory undercoating is really tough and, luckily, after removing it, I only found a couple of spots that needed to be treated.

Also, I finished repairing the last of the inspection lids. I decided to weld patches to make them a bit more presentable.

I still need to fix the metal edge of the trunk as the rubber seal trapped a lot of water over the years and there are areas that are basically gone. I did the driver's side and will deal with the other side soon.
Now I can finally put the car back on its wheels, flip it and begin working on the passenger's side. Then, the interior, engine, electrics.........
cheers,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

quick question for everybody: I plan on removing the side windows on the wagon and wanted to ask you guys how to proceed. It looks 'easy' enough (remove the chrome strip, push the glass,....) but I do not want to mess it up.
I looked on 2 Clymer manuals and 1 Haynes and there is no mention to how to do it. Is there any article somewhere?
cheers,
Abel
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Do not touch the chrome strip, Abel. It is not a locking device, but a decorative strip that is held in position by the rubber clamping the glass. This is the mistake many people make on VW cars.

Release the rubber lip on the inside against the headlining and trim. Then with large boots or training shoes on, and a helper outside, push the glass at the top edge with your foot and it will start to move. Steady continuous pressure only. No stamping.

BR,

Rob
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

ahh, good thing I asked here!!. Thanks a lot for that tip. I'll do as you suggest. I appreciate it,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Hello all,
well, things have changed in the last few weeks and I have decided to put the 411 and many parts for sale. As much as it bothers me, I think that, in the long run, it is the best decision given the circumstances. I have learned a lot while working on it and, in fact, I will continue to fix it until I find a buyer.
If anybody is interested in the car, please, let me know. Thank you very much to all for the help and support during the restoration process,
cheers,
Abel
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2457929
Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Sorry you had to decide to sell. I just bought one of these yesterday and it needs some repairs. You've done so much work on the car, it deserves to be finished and you should get 'credit' for all that work you did. Good luck with the sale!
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Thanks and congratulations on your new 411. I am a bit disappointed with myself and probably some people are too but, in the long run. I think is the best decision. I just hope that it goes to somebody who will bring her to life.
In the meantime, I just continue working on it. I just finished fixing some rust on the rear window frames,
cheers,
Abel

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: