Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Anyone done a comparison between these two upgrades? Are you happy with the upgrade you got? I know E-codes have been available for a few years. The GW kit, I never noticed them before so maybe they’re fairly new.

BD’s E-Code upgrade costs $300 for the basic, and $400 for their ultimate which includes relays and 90/100 W German H4 Outer bulbs. https://www.busdepot.com/255941105kit

GW’s upgrade costs only $82 and consists of 80/100W H5s, 55W H3s, load reduction relays, and new wires/fuses. https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/3093/high-power-headlight-kit-?v=

Just on price alone, I’d probably go with GW, unless I’m persuaded the E-codes are way superior. But at almost 4X the cost, they better be way waaaaay better. Thanks!
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

I'm sure the E-codes are superior, but I've been perfectly happy with my (cleaned)
stock rectangles since adding relays & big bulbs. Granted, I'm the guy that drives
the posted limit at night...if you're always in a hurry you might prefer the E-codes.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Headlight relay kits are around 40USD at all vendors or here on samba classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2182028
80/100W H5 and 55W H3 hellas are 7.25 each on Amazon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Bus Depot also has an equivalent to the GoWesty one here https://www.busdepot.com/VISIONKIT2
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

I'd go with the H4's from BusDepot. The beam pattern is FAR superior to the US spec lenses, well worth the added cost.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

The GW Bulbs will help, but it will still be bad. The E-codes are going to give you headlights you aren't embarrassed about. The E-codes without relays will still be far superior to the stock headlights with high power bulbs and relays. The easiest best upgrade is Bus Depot E-codes basic kit. Plug and play and you'll have headlights that were considered good in the 80s.

Neither will come close to LED upgrade options though.
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Exactly.

You don’t necessarily need more light, but you do need better focus.

Read about how a fresnel lense works.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

This is one where I'd recommend the more expensive e-codes.

For some reason, the USDOT required VW to install a headlight unit that is inferior to the what VW was using elsewhere. The light pattern from the lens/reflector/lamp just isn't that good. Additionally, after 30 years, there's a good chance that the reflector is aged and worn. Cleaning the lens as mentioned makes a big difference, but replacing the 30 year old DOT assembly with a modern e-code made a huge difference for me.

This is the $150 e-code (H4) route I took...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876

H4 on the right, oem Vanagon DOT with relays and 9004 lamps on the left...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the reflector in my 25 year old DOT headlights. It's cracked, dull, etc. It may be considered a wear item that needs replacement every 25 years or so...

If I were to make this change today, I'd go with the BD kit. It avoids mild cutting of the grill, etc. Installing higher wattage lamps into an assembly with a poor lens and worn reflector is not the best solution.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

I spoke at great length with a renowned automotive lighting expert and he told me things most people will not want to hear.

In his opinion none of the new, stock type, square replacement E codes are worth the money. (I am putting it a lot more nicely than he did)
They may appear brighter because they are new and people put better bulbs in them but their pattern and cutoff are just not good

He said the only way to get real good light is the switch to rounds or fitting in some new squares much like jimf909 and many other have done.

Against my better judgement I did not heed his advice and bought the new square housing from Gowesty and the best H4 bulbs that he had available.(Tungsram 60/55w H4 +120)

So far I have not seen any fit ups of the replacement square bulbs that I really like the look of so I went with the "ecode" stock style replacements.

I also just want to get the van done and did not feel like doing more fab work to fit up headlights.

I guess maybe my whole story is pointless because I have not actually used my headlights yet to see what they look like but all the shiny new parts sure look nice.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

I've been very happy with the Bus Depot E-code lights. They work great and were a huge improvement over my stock set.
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

This is a subject that has no real correct answer it seems. I took my stock square light set, removed the lenses, cleaned up everything as new, and re-assembled with good sealant. Then installed the GoWesty relay kit with new bulbs. It improved the night vision substantially in my opinion. The bulbs didn't last very long though, burned out rather quickly.

John
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

I had very nice stock headlights with 9/10 reflectors and the inside of the lenses cleaned to near perfection. That light was good, but the E-code were magnitudes better.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Just to put a 3rd , even more expensive option out there I am considering- vanagain has been offering the E-code housings with LED bulbs. That looks like a pretty trick set-up, I already have the GW upgrade kit and it is adequate. If I go for an upgrade, or am forced to because the epoxy repair on one of my lenses fails, then I might be in for a pound not a penny and go with the vanagain kit.
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

A long time ago I bought real VW E-code headlights for my 86 syncro and for other busses from VW of Canada. They are far superior to the DOT reflectors. Unfortunately the reflectors corroded. I bought Chinese knock off H4s from Tristar connection to replace them. They function well but were difficult to install. The holes for the adjuster tips are too small. I broke several adjusters during installation. I had to open up the holes. Also the brackets on the light are flimsy and are easily bent.

Since them I have bought what I believe to be the same Chinese H4s from BD. And another set complete with frames and high beams from GW. I put the newest set in another T3 I drive. I like them. And I hot rod all of my headlights. I live in a rural area.

Whatever headlights you run you really need to run relays to optimize them and save your obsolete switches. I used to make my own relay kits. But now I just buy them from VC. I think that they come from Jay Brown. If you get the Chinese H4s I recommend that you buy some of the adjuster tips from GW They are cheaper than the complete adjuster and you might break a few of the tips getting the Chinese headlights installed.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

One thing I wanted to mention is that I am considering eventually converting the headlights to SA grill and kit, once they become available from aftermarket vendors. Just like the look much better than squares. But until then (which according to Ron at BD will be at the end of the year), I would like to brighten up the headlights. Because they are truly terrible at the moment...like Danger Close terrible. Cool
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Unable to find a remote camp just after dark with the stock lights swayed me to upgrade several years back. I love the late 80s square light look of all the VWs from that time period, but couldn’t justify keeping due to safety. Upgraded to the SA grill with relays and added Hella round fog lights. Never going back.

Last edited by dart330 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Ride,

You may get quite an output increase simply by removing and cleaning the lamps, but be sure to research how to do this gently so you don't loosen the silver reflective surface. Then, install a relay kit to get good power to the bulbs (which you'll also want later if/when you upgrade to the rounds) and you'll see quite a difference. I run upgraded bulbs, clean lamps and a harness relay kit and am quite happy in the rural area I live with the addition of full size Hella auxiliary lamps when needed.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

Neither BD or GW ....

DIY if you want great focused proper light!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=hella

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

On my to do list is install the Hella 60mm low beam projectors onto the metal base of the stock rectangular low beam buckets sans glass. I bought these a couple years ago and just haven't had the nerve to try and remove the glass from the metal base. If anyone has a trashed set with or without glass let me know. This would allow for factory grill located lamp H-V adjustments. The look would be odd so I bought some acrylic full head lamp protectors from Camper Van Culture and planned to lightly paint the insides to mimic the rectangular look to the casual on looker (cop) with the added benefit of a proper optic inside.

BK
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Square headlight upgrades: BD vs GW Reply with quote

I bought SA E-Code square headlights through Daryl/AA Transaxle (RIP and thanks!) some years back for my 87 Syncro Westy (Silver Slug). I installed relays and the highest power H4’s I could buy.

NIGHT vs Day difference vs stock H5’s. Alas - the E-Code Headlights were part of the deal when I sold The Silver Slug to a friend 9 years ago.

Flashback to 1998 - after I upgraded The Silver Slug to E-Code..my FIL’s ‘90 Syncro Westy (now mine..RIP and thank you, Olav!)...was in dire need of a headlight upgrade for “elder driver” safety reasons.

I bought the GW 80/100 bulbs and relays for Olle’s van - installed ‘em and am still running ‘em. NOT as good as the E-Codes on The Silver Slug, but a noticeable improvement over stock.

I was just looking at both GW and BD E-Code kits for an upgrade. According to BD website - their E-Code kit hails from Europe...other suppliers’ from China...so buyer be aware and informed.

That said - ANY E-Code H4 kit is going to be a vast improvement over stock H5...even with more powerful bulbs and relays. The stock headlight/reflector just isn’t any good (insert “trying to fit a square peg into a round hole” analogy here), but I can’t see going the SA grill and round headlight route.

I, too, like the square look for our boxes - so will likely buy the BD E-Code kit before more darkness earlier sets in.

Whatever your decision - BUY RELAYS and run separate/higher gauge feed and ground wires. I have a box full of fried headlight switches from 3 vans (before headlight upgrades) to show for my procrastination. You do NOT want to be caught in the dark with no lights.

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: