Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake system question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: brake system question Reply with quote

I recall that the brake system pumps up pressure in the lines or something. Anyone have knowledge about this?
What are the connected parts, where are they, etc
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Charles,

Not to put too fine a point on this but you're essentially asking someone to tell you how the entire brake system works, what each component's role is, and where each component can be found on the vehicle. Possibly the all time record for an enormous request with zero question to focus on.

I suggest you narrow this down to what information you need or a symptom you are investigating?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Your question is Mechanics 101. There are lots of resources for quickly learning how the basic systems of cars work. For example, books, online sites, videos, etc...

Maybe do a quick youtube search on something like 'how do car brakes work' or somesuch.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

charleslabri: your van is (was) stripped down entirely?

If routing, position of things like brake hard lines is unknown, e.g. the long line from front to "T" at rear, the gallery or google images should help with that. The rest of the brake system basically "bolts up". The pressure regulator can seem to be a mystery but is actually pretty simple. Dave one of our moderators posted info on that as have others.

Neil.

pics of long line from front to back on my '81 "air cooled"

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPIw4wNJnizyV...VvOTRwaVVn

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

this comes up since im ripping out my engine and dropping a boxeer tdi in- i recently was at a mechanic and he was chatting me up about some vacuum line in the rear that added pressure to the master cyl and how it always took so long on these vanagons.

want to make sure that i dont rip that out-- or at least make provisions.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Possibly is he referring to the vacuum line that feeds the brake booster? I can’t think of anything else that would ‘pressurize’ the system other than pushing the pedal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Yeah, they must have been referring to the vacuum line to the brake booster. I've never noticed any difference in the amount of time the vacuum assist takes to work as opposed to other vehicles. Weird.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
this comes up since im ripping out my engine and dropping a boxeer tdi in- i recently was at a mechanic and he was chatting me up about some vacuum line in the rear that added pressure to the master cyl and how it always took so long on these vanagons.

want to make sure that i dont rip that out-- or at least make provisions.

The Vanagon brake system is quite similar to other similar vintage VW vehicles.

As a minimally educated guess, the added distance of vacuum hose/line on a Vanagon (vs a similar Mk2) should not cause vacuum to drop thus adversely affect booster "power".

If the Vanagon booster (at dash) and vacuum hose/parts from it to engine compartment are present and working ok, I'd guess it's simply a matter of interfacing the Vanagon vacuum hose to the 2.0 TDI vacuum pump. Online images, images here, suggest that like other diesel engines, the 2.0 has a dedicated or combo pump to supply vacuum for the brake booster.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

When you go to a diesel engine, you will no longer have a source of manifold vacuum to power the Vanagons vacuum assisted power brakes, so the vacuum will have to be obtained from an alternate source. This is a dilemma faced on any rig with a diesel engine and vacuum assist brakes so it is an easily solved problem with off the shelf parts.

If you are going to own an antique VW I would suggest that you get a copy of John Muir's "Idiot Book" and read it cover to cover. While it pertains mostly to the aircooled Beetle of old and less so to the earlier buses/vans, a lot of stuff still holds for Vanagons.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Every VW diesel engine since power assisted brakes were implemented has come equipped with a vacuum pump fitted to the engine. There is no challenge here and there are no parts to source. Just connect the line that goes to the booster to the fitting on the vac pump instead of where it was previously connected to the gasser intake.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brake booster, yes?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Who's doing this swap?
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Who's doing this swap?

hahahahahaha, me.

fine. ill read all my manuals. ive got em all. But shame point taken.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See the black hose that is parallel to the red? That is the vacuum line to the brake booster.

No, your pictured part is not the brake booster. The brake booster is at the front of the van under the instrument cluster. You should probably get a basic understanding of the Vanagon systems prior to attempting an engine conversion.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

Agree on the suggestion to read, and impressed with your good attitude. This is a fairly demanding swap you are about, so be ready for some frustrations.

Your mechanic has no idea what he's talking about regarding any "delay" in vacuum brake boost power because the engine's in the back and the booster's up front. Vacuum isn't like waiting for water on an empty hose someone just turned on. You use the vacuum from up front at the pedal. As noted just use the factory vacuum line from the diesel's pump.

Take pictures - everyone loves an engine swap thread!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

the mechanic was an old timer at gowesty thats a friend of a friend.

maybe thats why they hate aircooled units so much
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Every VW diesel engine since power assisted brakes were implemented has come equipped with a vacuum pump fitted to the engine. There is no challenge here and there are no parts to source.

Except of course the electric ones that can be mounted anywhere.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: brake system question Reply with quote

I do not believe that any of the VW diesel engines ever used any electric vac pump except as part of the early cruise control systems. The earlier VW diesel engines (Mk1-Mk3) have a mechanical vac pump driven off the intermediate shaft and all of the Mk4 and later VW diesels have a mechanical vac pump driven off the end of the camshaft for supplying vacuum to the brake booster.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: