Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat reclining front seats?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

Flat folding reclining front seats. A few days ago someone mentioned they had this feature, which has been something I've wanted to do for years. Lost the topic, but would love to hear how it was done. I know the Honda Element seats do that and wondered if I could use their frame and modify it to take the T3 seats which I find very comfortable and like. Are you out there?

Duncan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted--flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

it's the dodge caravan stow and go's
my brother folds his DS flat and swings the table over that space to expand the interior space.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649464&highlight=stow++go
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted--flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

Didn’t someone post a how-to here about modifying the OE seats to do this by cutting off the last “notch” on the seat reclining mechanism?
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted--flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Didn’t someone post a how-to here about modifying the OE seats to do this by cutting off the last “notch” on the seat reclining mechanism?

If I remember right, that only lets them recline just a tiny bit more.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted--flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

I cut off two notches, but you are right. The amount of recline is nowhere near enough tilt--even for a dozing passenger. The hingeing geometry is weird and double jointed so it can't really be easily modified. I want to preserve the OG back and seat cushions so expect to do some serious welding. If anybody has done this I'd love to hear about it.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted--flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

The stow and goes look OK, but I'm interested in them folding in the other direction. I want unlimited tilt so the back rest folds back making a level platform. For the Stow and Go usage, I have:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is almost exactly the same height as the engine deck so a 14' long 2x can go in and the hatch shut. The bow of the dinghy likes this too. If I take a solo roadie, the seat comes out as it is a handy place to keep a daypack cooler or lunch bag.
Unfortunately, Percey--for some reason he spells his name with two e's--can't see out, but I've never heard him complain.

Duncan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: --flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

so you need to be more specific in your initial request/inquiry.

the Eurovan seats will fold back nearly flat... as flat as wedges can.

here's a quick search one in a late bay but again probably not what you are seeking
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338291

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: --flat folding front seats. Reply with quote

The early Eurovan seats have the little wheel recliner control knob (like my old Rabbit) and I love them. Great for small adjustments. The passenger seat has enough room to recline all the way back, makes for an extra kid bed if necessary and a good nap spot, as illustrated above.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

Here's a shot of the Honda Element seat. You are right, it doesn't make a continuous level. My son bought his new and camps in it frequently. I see that the problem is the seat itself is at about a 7 angle and the seat back doesn't go to level. And of course there is the pesky head restraint gizmo. Basically what you wind up with is a very shallow W with the Element. His teen age son says you actually are better off sleeping in a sitting position with the seat super reclined.

But I do want the reclining option more like the Eurovan seats. So will try to pick up a couple of junk Honda Element seats and use the steel parts with the VW Vanagon cushions grafted on. The worse the Honda cushions and upholstery are the better as that will mean the price is right.

What's the black rectangle plastic part on the side of the drivers backrest? Armrest attachment? Krugerrands hiding place? James Bond ejection lever inside?

Duncan
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

Probably side airbag.

We've had Eurovan seats for years now but seldom use them reclined fully. Can't in a Westy on the driver's side and no need yet on the passenger's side and, like the Element, the seat is not full flat when reclined. Too much contour in the cushions and bolsters.

Here's a shot of my driver's seat while out for recovering and reclined.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

That's a lot of driving on that seat. I hope even though I was born during the Cretaceous, I don't look that bad.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

If shopping for EV seats just keep in mind that its only the early models that have the rails which are similar to the T3 version. They can be modified to fit in a T3 very easily. The later EVs went to a different rail design, and I would imagine them to be very challenging to fit in a T3.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

I'm confused. Happens easily. Are you asking about seats that fold "forward" flat or fold "rearward" flat?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

Recline is the typical description of this feature.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Recline is the typical description of this feature.

This line is what through me.

Quote:
The stow and goes look OK, but I'm interested in them folding in the other direction.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

My seats fully recline. I got them at a junkyard and I believe they are 90s Eurovan seats. Love them.

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

OK, so 90's Eurovan seats as then I don't have to frig around trying to get the base of something else to mate up with my rails. Reworked my current seats--moved the backrest 1" farther back to get better thigh support--and took out two notches to sortta improve the recline. Not enough extra recline to whistle at though. But what I discovered is the spacing of the rails, +- .75 mm. Any more out than that and they bind. Tricky. So not having to mess too much with the rails would be a plus.

Love the pic with the swivel seat and lying halfway out the side. I threw my turntables away 30 years ago as I hated the extra height and loss of under seat storage. Now I just engage the slides with the seats facing backwards. Only 0 and 180º, none of the other 358. NBD

And what's the story with the BBQ? I hope it gets moved a tad farther away from the paint job while in use.

Duncan
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

When you have both front seats swiveled sideways out the doors you can create a gigantic long couch on the front seats that is kinda fun.

Here's the scoop on the Magma BBQ grill. Scroll up in that thread to read about how I make grilled pizza with the grill. Photo story tells it all. The paint job on the van has not suffered due to heat. My How do you make pizza in your van? thread is one of my favorite threads of all time because of all the great ideas and experiences others have posted.

OK back on topic! Twisted Evil

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

I’m only suggesting this because Duncan S is the poster and his van is already such a fine potpourri of mods.

Relocate the battery and modify the pedestal so you can install the stow and go seats to actually stow and go?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat reclining front seats? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
That's a lot of driving on that seat. I hope even though I was born during the Cretaceous, I don't look that bad.

The seat was already pretty worn when I got it from a junked EV with twice the miles of my Vanagon but those seats, due to the shape and bolstering, are much more comfortable than my Westy's stock seats. I think '97 is the cutoff year for easy fitment to a Vanagon; the later rails require much more modification, from what I've learned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: