Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving the '84
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

it's with a moderately heavy heart I admit to now owning a vanagon Confused

so, it's a 84 Aswan Brown (barf) automatic (barf again) and the only reason I considered it was twofold, 1) I knew where this has been hiding and 2) I bought it for less than what parts vanagons are going for, which is good because this pig hit the parts shelf lotto, it literally needs one of everything.

ta-da

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

loading it up

the good:

it's NEVER been messed with. no b/s previous owner garbage, no real b/s repairs (some were done, see below) and the body is 99.9 perfect, save for some bumps and a really odd (poorly done) blend on the sliding door (still can't figure out why paint work was done)

the bad:

it's never been messed with, as in really maintained (which I suppose is kind of a blessing in it's own way) it's pumpkin shit brown and it's automatic. I know, the automatic guys love them....i'm *trying* to fall in love with the idea....

I went into this knowing it's going to need one-ah....one ah everything that you can imagine. so far, pumpkin shit has yet to let me down in that department. I also went into it know that the engine and trans are probably junk.

story goes it got parked due to a fuel leak. the (80 year old) owner pulled the tank, and it's been sitting ever since. he claims to have given it a sniff of carb clean from time to time just to hear it fire. I tend to believe him, hell of a nice guy and I really enjoy his stories...this guy is simply amazing...the life he led is truly incredible.

anyway, I dove in head first. problem is, there was no water in the pool and some do-gooder decided to resuscitate me instead of just let me slide away...

some interior shots

my initial plan was to shove the tank back in and make it run. that plan got shot to hell. everything, and I mean everything in the fuel system needs every hose, clamp and rubber bit.

she is crunchy

well, shit. that blows the make it run plan out the window....

the owner told me he fabricobbled the cooling system together, and this was the only b/s repair I have found so far

ok...time to hit the brakes that don't work. made a phone call to a good friend who filled me up with the vanagon owners starter kit

in that starter kit was a NOS set of coolant pipes. you can barely see the parts tags

yea, I know...they make stainless pipes. we'll save that for later if this proves to be something that will stay in the fleet. my wife wants this, so we'll see if she falls in love with it before I pop 500 bux on SS pipes.

anyway, the pipes although brand new had a ton of shelf wear on them, so I stripped them to bare steel and walked over to my paint supply and pulled some of Azko-Nobel's finest, most expensive epoxy off the shelf and went to town

all stripped

epoxied

painted and cleared

now if I sound like i'm 1/2 on board with this...I am. but i'm not going to lower my standards and hack it all together either. in for a penny, in for a ton and a half, right?

enter the case of the "may as wells, while you're there's and since you're here's"

with the fuel tank still out, I decided to look at the brake lines. well, ain't that some shit...they are questionable. the rubber lines are a given, but I was hoping the hard lines were ok....most were, but i'm not going to find out the hard way. the only 2 that I felt 100% ok with are the ones from the master to the tee and brake valve

out comes the roll of NiCop the flaring tool and the tube nuts

of course, I ran out of NiCop and to add insult to injury every...and I mean EVERY brake line retainer just shattered, so off to VW to get a few bags of new retainers.

well, lets start on the rear brakes...

hold me back

after sand blasting the backing plates, I found this.....w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l

out comes the welder

the flash rust is due to cooling it off after I had it at smelting temperature to remove the lower brake shoe holders. they will get re blasted and epoxied tomorrow.

ok, so what to do next... I mean, there's just so much to do. lets fix the heater fan that doesn't work

and of course, everything got new foam seals while I was there....

speaking of "while you're there" lets try and prevent some hot foot syndrome

I actually extended it more, but forgot to take a pic.

EDIT: found it...

while I was there.... all the fuses got replaced and the fuse box cleaned. I am simply amazed that VW would put the wiper and blower on the same circuit.

yea, wiper assy got pulled, cleaned, lubed, re-greased and put back in

pulled the radiator out....

shroud was nasty so....while i'm throwing sand and epoxy

it's all painted now, just got to take more photos.

the shifter console was crumbling, so I took care of that

the bottom brace I made is DIESEL. you can't get it to flex at all now. should work well seeing finding parts for these is about impossible....which leads me to my vanagon observation:

theses were expensive new. the people who owned them were typically people of means and when they took a shit, they were traded in. when they hit 2nd/3rd owner status they just became another shitty van and were junked.

finding parts for these SUCK. people didn't seem to gravitate to these as they did bugs/ busses and pick them clean when they were scrapped.

finding just run of the mill stuff....like calipers for example is a chore. you really need to plan your breakdowns with these and have a full parts department at hand....

seeing how much crap is NLA....like radiator hoses etc for the 1.9 I see a swap in it's future. chances are this will make the cut, and stay in the fleet but holy tap dancing Jesus Christ I have spent more time trying to find parts than actually spinning a wrench it seems....

more to come....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

They do sell new backing plates.... Wink

As far as parts, there are lots of upgrades, stock parts too. Stocks go in and out of supply, so that’s nothing new.

First Xevin, now you.... enjoy your new ride
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Popcorn

nice work Cool
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

There goes the neighborhood...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
They do sell new backing plates.... Wink

As far as parts, there are lots of upgrades, stock parts too. Stocks go in and out of supply, so that’s nothing new.

First Xevin, now you.... enjoy your new ride

Laughing yea, he shot me an email about his. he has the right idea...his was turn key.

I saw they sold backing plates... but the reality is other than the spot I found they weren't too bad. plus, they could be made out of a Subaru I gutted and come back to haunt me.

I've done that repair to bay plates, so no real surprise.

erste wrote:
Popcorn

nice work Cool

thank you. I have done work on a few vanagon customers I haven't given the boot to yet. I have to say I don't like being on this side of the parts bill Laughing

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
There goes the neighborhood...

yep. I just drove the prices down 10%. nothing like white trash with money to ruin the gated community

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Welcome to the dark side....

we've been waiting for you....

Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Make that stupid blocking plate for the heater core go away if you want good heat, all it does is make the one set of flapper doors in the heater box slam shut when you turn on the fan, not sure what having them slam is suppose to accomplish except for making noise. The heated air temperature and volume will both go up with the plate removed. Read up on the Mullendore Port while you are dealing with the heater box.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Cool

Laughing thanks. I've seen some pretty dam nice vanagons over the years and always thought about a high powered dropped to the ground van to do evil things with.

what drove this purchase is being homebound due to the shanghai shakes. the 71 westy although nice to camp in really isn't all that conducive to sleep 3 people. I was going to ditch the cot and make a continental upper bunk like Europe got, but the reality is the evolution of the campers just got better, with the late bay being the best, then the vanagon being the gold standard in terms of space an layout.

I have a few vanagon friends who were like "ah, cool...it's what a 1.9? not bad engines, you'll get there....eventually. oh, wait, it's a 1.9 automatic...ahh...you'll get there a day or 2 after eventually" Laughing

the realization of the lack of lots of the cooling system stuff has set in. so not sure what direction i'm going to go in. was never a fan of the inline 4's laid sideways and bumping the bed up is a no-go here.

a LS swap with a poweglide may be fun Twisted Evil

Wildthings wrote:
Make that stupid blocking plate for the heater core go away if you want good heat, all it does is make the one set of flapper doors in the heater box slam shut when you turn on the fan, not sure what having them slam is suppose to accomplish except for making noise. The heated air temperature and volume will both go up with the plate removed. Read up on the Mullendore Port while you are dealing with the heater box.

you mean the tin plate with all the holes?

too late, it's in there. seems that there was a 50/50 split on to remove it or not.

honestly, I can have the box out in under an hour. everyone always complained about pulling it. I have done so much dash work on euro trash over the years this was like *yawn* in terms of removal. granted, this didn't have a/c...so that may complicate things a bit.

I did make a tube that goes into the left vent to oil the motor.

the only SNAFU I really had in the whole removal was the way the radio wires were routed....I took care of that...and 3 of the 4 heater box mounting bolts broke off despite my best efforts. the 2 that poke into the radiator/cowl area got the threads cleaned/oiled but...they still broke.

those were easy to get out as I was able to vice grip them out on the outside. the real asshole one was the upper left (sitting in the van) because that was hidden in the fresh air intake.

of course, it broke below the surface and had a gnarly jagged tooth on it, so almost impossible to center punch. by some stroke of luck not only did it drill reasonably straight, once I got it paper thin it just wound right out.

all of those got replaced with M6 stainless. homie ain't plating that game again.

there was an amazing amount of grit (as well as mouse shit) in the box. some of that grit was clearly the disintegrated foam, but the rest was for sure road debris. I have an idea for a cabin filter....as much as I despise them this system looks like it could benefit from something to keep the grit out

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

I couldn't tell a difference between the 1.9 and the 2.1 for the sum total of an hour I had my 2.1 running before I overheated it and put the 1.9 back in. If measured, what's the difference in 0-60 time? 17 seconds for the 2.1 and 18 seconds for the 1.9? Meh. They're all ghastly slow.

An automatic Vanagon is the way to go. Nice pick up and progress, can't wait to see where it is in a few months.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

With what you did with Fokker's mess, this will be a piece of (pumpkin) cake. Wink

Poor, neglected van... it's now in good hands! Very Happy Looking forward to seeing the progress.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

the problem with an automatic and Skills.. is the final drive, while peppy for off the line and hill climbing.. well not really that peppy @ ~90hp.
but he'll scrim and scram over the highway RPMs.. @ speed..
although #1 there are thousands out there doing just fine @ ~4ooo rpm cruising @ ~70mph.
#2 there are upgrade R&Ps available for those who desire a slower motor rpm @ speed. though there are pluses and minuses when playing with (limited) gearing of the 3speed AT

but the vanagon world is your oyster. you can do as you like w/o the purists jumping on their soapboxes and telling you how you should enjoy and preserve your own money time and their precious image of your tin box on wheels.
want to slap a subaru in there sure we're with ya
want to put a bass akwards 1.8T no problem join the small exclusive club or reverse spinners..

like big brakes.. sure who doesn't..

the most important thing is how to fahrvergnugen your own way in your own ride..
well there's one Zealous fanboi who'll poop on your subaru ideals.. I just ignore him.. unless someone quotes his posts..

Ohh and something constructive..
Put some 1/4in hardware wire cloth mesh between that heater core and the front chassis inlets there.. keep the mice out of the vanagon mouse condo.
nothing worse than heated mouse pee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Or get the cabin air control mod that comes with the pest screen and then also be able to control the air coming in. https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/cabin-air-control/

I really can't believe VW didn't have this standard. It's such an improvement.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Cool

Laughing thanks. I've seen some pretty dam nice vanagons over the years and always thought about a high powered dropped to the ground van to do evil things with.

what drove this purchase is being homebound due to the shanghai shakes. the 71 westy although nice to camp in really isn't all that conducive to sleep 3 people. I was going to ditch the cot and make a continental upper bunk like Europe got, but the reality is the evolution of the campers just got better, with the late bay being the best, then the vanagon being the gold standard in terms of space an layout.

I have a few vanagon friends who were like "ah, cool...it's what a 1.9? not bad engines, you'll get there....eventually. oh, wait, it's a 1.9 automatic...ahh...you'll get there a day or 2 after eventually" Laughing

the realization of the lack of lots of the cooling system stuff has set in. so not sure what direction i'm going to go in. was never a fan of the inline 4's laid sideways and bumping the bed up is a no-go here.

a LS swap with a poweglide may be fun Twisted Evil

Wildthings wrote:

you mean the tin plate with all the holes?

too late, it's in there. seems that there was a 50/50 split on to remove it or not.

honestly, I can have the box out in under an hour. everyone always complained about pulling it. I have done so much dash work on euro trash over the years this was like *yawn* in terms of removal. granted, this didn't have a/c...so that may complicate things a bit.

I did make a tube that goes into the left vent to oil the motor.

the only SNAFU I really had in the whole removal was the way the radio wires were routed....I took care of that...and 3 of the 4 heater box mounting bolts broke off despite my best efforts. the 2 that poke into the radiator/cowl area got the threads cleaned/oiled but...they still broke.

those were easy to get out as I was able to vice grip them out on the outside. the real asshole one was the upper left (sitting in the van) because that was hidden in the fresh air intake.

of course, it broke below the surface and had a gnarly jagged tooth on it, so almost impossible to center punch. by some stroke of luck not only did it drill reasonably straight, once I got it paper thin it just wound right out.

all of those got replaced with M6 stainless. homie ain't plating that game again.

there was an amazing amount of grit (as well as mouse shit) in the box. some of that grit was clearly the disintegrated foam, but the rest was for sure road debris. I have an idea for a cabin filter....as much as I despise them this system looks like it could benefit from something to keep the grit out

I thought Van Cafe had the 1.9 hose issue pretty much worked out with their big kits that include Silicone Hoses to make up for the lack of the regular rubber ones? Am I wrong on that?... Confused Confused
Van Again? , if I remember right, is now selling the 1.9 thermostat housing in a reproduction part. Not cheap, but at least it's available

Expansion Tank?, Van Cafe 'Tank', one and done unless you are married to the stock plastic versions.

Water Pump, Radiator, Hose Junctions, all available, and in either stock plastic or Aluminum on the Junctions.
Stainless Steel pipe set or Steel like you managed to fix up.

So far, I have not struggled to find and install any coolant system parts for my 1.9 Automatic... knock on wood.
Considering that some of this stuff has only been offered in the past couple of years or so, I think you picked the perfect time to dive into the Deep End with owning a 1.9 Vanagon.
Automatic parts, NOW there's some hard to find stuff if it isn't the dead common parts.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
With what you did with Fokker's mess, this will be a piece of (pumpkin) cake. Wink

Poor, neglected van... it's now in good hands! Very Happy Looking forward to seeing the progress.

thanks. he finally got it back to Canada. and of course, the shippers fucked up his shifter and or transmission. still trying to figure which, or both. FML...

danfromsyr wrote:
you can do as you like w/o the purists jumping on their soapboxes and telling you how you should enjoy and preserve your own money time and their precious image of your tin box on wheels.

ha. haven't met a purist i'm afraid of yet. that's what killed me with the bay owners...everyone a rockstar until they drill a hole or fold back a dash to shove a radio in.

jlrftype7 wrote:

I thought Van Cafe had the 1.9 hose issue pretty much worked out with their big kits that include Silicone Hoses to make up for the lack of the regular rubber ones? Am I wrong on that?... Confused Confused
Van Again? , if I remember right, is now selling the 1.9 thermostat housing in a reproduction part. Not cheap, but at least it's available

Automatic parts, NOW there's some hard to find stuff if it isn't the dead common parts.

unless 100% needed, i'm going to try NOT to pump too much coin into the 1.9. we all know it's mediocre at best. my golf cart makes more power than this does.

in terms of the automatic...still on the fence. it's a novelty at best in my mind and to your point, getting hard to find parts for. if it comes to it, I will swap a stick in there if need be. my wife can drive manual, it's what she drove till we had a kid and she went soft on me and got a XC70

anyway, the progress has been painfully s-l-o-w and that has been just due to parts availability.

there is so much to do, I haven't focused on 1 area, I have bounced around a lot and that has been dictated by parts availability

the drivers slider was blown out

I COULD NOT find another slider, at least not the camper style and if I did, everyone wanted to sell in pairs (fair enough) and wanted both testicles along with 1/3 of a taint for the windows.

I found a fellow selling a passenger side window frame with JUST the broken piece I needed. VW just superimposed the glass side to side, so I bought it

pulled the broken window and was actually treated to a perfect window frame

i'm not going to get into the window rebuild, other than it sucked picking all the glass out of the channel

what seemed like an eternity later....

fuzzies replaced and new glass sealed into place

and finally installed

I used WCM seals. i'm a WW kind of guy, so I really hope these seals are ok.

brakes... getting there. rears are done, all hard lines have been replaced front to rear, new soft lines etc

got new calipers. those got epoxied, painted and cleared and the drums got a shot of paint as well

hard to tell, but they have a good shine to them

I figured by the mung in the reservoir the master cylinder should get changed. the poop inside was from years of use

all the sediment in the bottom of the res

like new now. funny how the reservoir grommets stain the plastic. there was a bunch of crud in there

new master waiting for the reservoir

I have new rotors waiting to go on, but the backing plates were not worth the effort to try and save so I have new ones coming, then I can finish off the brakes.

i'm hoping to get the coolant pipes back in asap now that the brake lines have been replaced. it gets pretty tight back there so I am trying to use every bit of open space possible while the pipes are out.

of course, the throttle cable used by the automatics have that ball and socket that rust up. this was no different so I ordered some balls as well as a new cable.

the cable holder on the trans has seen better days...

so, I made a new one

the throttle arm needed to come off to futz with the ball, so that got blasted as well

I blasted the mill finish off the throttle bracket so the epoxy would stick

I have a few things I want to do in the cooling system which I fear is going to just spring leaks. I have almost everything I need to get the fuel lines done now, so I will start in on that soon. once that is done I can get the tank in and see if it will actually run...

the reality is I am working backwards from what I would normally do with a fresh haul...that is make it run first and do the rest later. i'm going into this with the expectation that it's going to be a mess in terms of engine issues so I am trying to do the bare minimum to the engine.

I found a receipt for head gaskets, done in 1999 so there is a good chance they will need to be done again. if that's the case....Subaru, here I come...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

I know you guys have been waiting with bated breath for an update...

well....

as I am waiting on parts to s-l-o-w-l-y dribble in I figured I would pull what I could apart and clean the funk out.

I really need to pull the whole interior, but these are jobs that I can knock out (ahem) "quick" and get back together in a few hours.

I yanked the rear seat and took the heater box with it

i'll some someone a dollar if they sniff this

rear heater box was full of funk

so, I ripped it apart to clean it

much better now

the motor got cleaned up and gone thru as well

the rear light above the stove didn't work. after pulling the dome light in the cab and getting rained on by chocolate sprinkles I said fukkit and tore out all of the mouse pissy insulation

found my problem

well, you know how it goes....while you're there...

I put in 1 layer of reflectix and replaced the fiberglass with new fresh stuff. really don't want to get into the great insulation debate. I've done this on my campers in the past with great results.

once that was all back together I finally got enough stuff to make it run. I reached out to a friend that had some crap kicking around and replaced a couple injectors. like I said, anything "tin" just got destroyed by rust

so once the fuel system was as safe as possible, I lit it off. one thing that got me was this...

the gas tank had been out of who knows how long. it was clean, so I resealed it and put it in. I put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in it. after some futzing around, I had NO flow to the tank outlet (feed to the pump) but it did puke out of the return side with a solid flow

after 2 more gallons of fuel, I had plenty of flow to the pump. the tank has tubes that attach to the swirl pot in the tank. they looked fine. so my question is.... why the hell did it take 7 gallons to get flow to the pump? this has to be a sign that the tank is shot on those pick up tubes I am guessing. any insight would be great.

so, now that it runs, lets service the trans

wonderful Rolling Eyes

despite my best efforts, that pan was SHOT. in the end after 15+ emails, several texts and 1/2 dozen phone calls I grabbed my ankles while a junk yard in CA sent it in hard an deep and way overpaid for a good used trans pan.

I am still waiting for some brake parts, but we took it for a ride up to the hangar using the parking brake. the turd actually made it Shocked

so here it sat idling for what seemed like forever. temp gauge got a hair above the LED and the fan kicked on low. well, i'll be damned...

so at this point, i am waiting for a few more bits to get the brakes partially dialed in. what i am going to do it toss the old rotors/drums back on until it's ready for the road. no sense it putting the new stuff on while it just sits.

the decision has been made to just rip off the band-aid and swap it. i have gone as far as i want to with the 1.9....which honestly runs pretty dam good...I was expecting a whole bunch of collapsed lifters but no joke....this thing lit off and went right into an idle as if I just pulled the window sticker off of it.

the reality is I am just not willing to fight with a engine that is grossly underpowered and festooned with NLA/expensive/obscure parts. I got it running so I didn't have to push the thing all over the place and basically prove it runs.

I figure the effort will be rewarded when I attempt to sell off the engine/harness and can take a video of it actually running...kind of value added. I totally let my inner swamp yankee out and did a reasonably "make it work" deal on what was left of the exhaust. there wasn't much to work with but it's quiet enough to do what it needs to do.

will keep on picking at it. in the meantime i'm going to fire up my pen and make a list for my favorite Subaru dealer. the automagic will go to my buddy Matt Steedle for his magic touch and I think instead of running a different R+P I am just going to get some 17's and play with the ratio that way....at least that's what Matt suggested. he has a 270 horse honda strapped to his auto box, so i'm sure we can come up with a plan.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Love it all so much. You should come fix my van. I can only pay in barn cats, but I have MANY barn cats to choose from. We'll find one that makes you happy. Adorable van, despite (as you say) the colour and the auto. Watching with interest!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

FWIW I am very happy with a 2.2 Subaru coupled to a stock automatic and stock diameter tires in my '91. There were several different torque converters that VW used, you want one of the later ones, I think they would have either an "H" or a "Z" stamped into one of the mounting bosses. The "D" and some of the others will give noticeably poorer performance.

The 2.2 is no super power house, but it does accelerate from a stop much more quickly than a 2.1L WBXer does. Easy to chirp the tires while pulling out into the roadway.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Just send all that NLA goodness to me. You have my address Wink then it will all come back to you when you subie swap Xatie’s 85 Laughing I can’t wait to see this build Popcorn

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
Love it all so much. You should come fix my van. I can only pay in barn cats, but I have MANY barn cats to choose from. We'll find one that makes you happy. Adorable van, despite (as you say) the colour and the auto. Watching with interest!

haha! thanks. I actually enjoy the misery. it should be a fun ride when it's all dialed in. it's saving grace is the body...it really is in fantastic shape for a New England van.

Wildthings wrote:
FWIW I am very happy with a 2.2 Subaru coupled to a stock automatic and stock diameter tires in my '91. There were several different torque converters that VW used, you want one of the later ones, I think they would have either an "H" or a "Z" stamped into one of the mounting bosses. The "D" and some of the others will give noticeably poorer performance.

The 2.2 is no super power house, but it does accelerate from a stop much more quickly than a 2.1L WBXer does. Easy to chirp the tires while pulling out into the roadway.

good to know. the 2.5 likes life at around 3200 @ 70 mph. I've done enough swaps and logged enough data to know that's where I want to be with a 4 speed. the 3 speed will make that a challenge. seeing that there is really zero choices in playing with tire size on 14's that can handle the weight I can find tons of options for the 17's. jury is out until I have a brainstorming session with Matt

Xevin wrote:
Just send all that NLA goodness to me. You have my address Wink then it will all come back to you when you subie swap Xatie’s 85 Laughing I can’t wait to see this build Popcorn

it's all yours....every last bit of it Laughing

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Another one bites the dust...

you bet. every....and I mean every swap I have seen done on a vanagon using vw power looks like this

shit, the 1.9/2.1 look like that mess too. actually, every VAG product looks like it was on an episode of junk yard wars when you pop the hood

this is much cleaner...and seeing this is my personal bus and 1st go around with a swap, I have cleaned up the coolant reservoir and relocated it so no hose in your face

form, function and bang for the buck. this isn't going to be some I4 laid on it's side that looks like a total afterthought, and it for sure isn't going to be some mess that forces you to raise the engine hatch.

this will be detailed to the 9's and look like it belongs there. I know, you're the resident hater of anything but vw power. I get it. just not my cup of tea to spend tons of $$ on something that looks like it fell out of the ass of a scrap bin when a sooobarooooh just fills the space perfectly, a BRAND NEW short block is 1,700 bux and with some minor mods will make the stock 165hp into 180hp yawning....for pennies on the dollar.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: