Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving the '84
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Sad.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Sad.

that every VAG product looks like this under the hood?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it is what it is. I have enough disappointment in my life, I don't need vw to add to that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

seeing the forum is falling all over itself begging for updates, I have a few.

sourcing parts has been a REAL ass ache. some call it fun, but between non responsive classified sellers and just a general lack of parts this has dragged on for longer than it should.

anyway...

after an eternity trying to find a canvas, I finally found one I can live with. I've given up on bus depot. I remember why I didn't use them much even though they are in PA and i'm in CT. their website plain sucks to navigate and they never have anything in stock.

in the end, I sent my money to Canada to dr bjorns auto. friendly fellow who actually (gasp) had everything I needed in stock. shipping was a bit slow but given the circumstances, I can live with it.

Short block is on order from Subaru, and I got what I could done on the engine in the meantime, like rebuild the intake. I do a ton of swaps and the intakes are just a huge time suck no matter which way you slice it.

before:

after blasting

doing the aluminum finishing

and all built

all the injector seals were replaced and all the metal bits got blasted, epoxied, painted and cleared.

I want to get the pop top done before the snow flies, so I pulled that off. the skylight leaked for a l-o-n-g time and the flocking was just nasty and peeling

add to the flaky flocking, it was moldy too

fukkit….

other than some crumbs, it's all cleaned. I think I may paint the inside a beige color just because. honestly I think it may be a bit too bright in there, which may not be a bad thing.

the hinges were stiff as hell on the pop top, so those got cleaned and oiled up. now they open/close under their own weight.

I will say, that skylight is a real shitbag design. why they didn't make a flange to stand proud of the pop top and give it a 1/4-3/8 to keep water out is beyond me.

the old seal was SHOT. I hope the new one works out. we'll see I guess. more to come...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

for skylights we've ended up removing and glassing over 2 of them on family campers over the years. don't miss them here in the northeast.
if I want light and ventilation I'll install a glass sunroof.

Last edited by danfromsyr on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

That grille on the left with the headlight covers - if you want to sell the covers, I’m interested.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

for skylights we've ended up removing and glassing over 2 of them on family campers over the years. don't miss them here in the northeast.

yea, not a fan of it but I will give it a shot. i'm hoping neglect and the beef jerky seal I pulled out are the main issues.

if worse comes to worse I may try and find a better idea. I thought about glassing it closed but figured it was worth a shot

erste wrote:

That grille on the left with the headlight covers - if you want to sell the covers, I’m interested.

not sure. shoot me a p/m. seems they are around if you want new ones

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

Quote:

Dan, how are you "dressing" the inside when you glass over the hole? Thanks.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

well it's my brother's pet projects, so just sanded and painted at the moment.
intent is to put headliner fabric inlieu of the flocking.

the oem skylights are ok, till they're not.. but they're ok for many thousands of vans out there. till they're not. and then you redo the gasket and whatever you broke or bent when you caught the garage door opening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: saving the '84 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
well it's my brother's pet projects, so just sanded and painted at the moment.
intent is to put headliner fabric inlieu of the flocking.

Thank you. Our 82 has the depression for the sunroof, but have never missed it. The 90 has one. Cheapest thing I’ve ever seen VW use.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Trolling was removed, let's stay on topic without insulting others
Thanks to the people who reported post(s)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

evidently the vanagon forum is not as thick skinned as other forums here Confused

Everett, if you're going to clean up then please dump all of zietgiest "additions" to this thread and I will go back and edit out any replies. and ask him, or whatever pronoun is preferred not to post in any of my threads. pretty simple...he stays in his lane, i'll stay in mine.

if I can't defend my decisions to do what I do, then why let his comments stay....

I can shit with a shitter...but if this is how this (vanagon) forum is run i'm ok with that...and will keep it strictly build related.

I thought a build thread would be a nice change to the normal 7 questions in the forum.

ultimately you're the boss...whatever you want to do.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

got the top prepped for paint. I was on the fence about what to do with the pop top in terms of a headliner. after reading up what it takes to flock something I can only imagine the mess being a EPA disaster doing something that big.

kind of like the time I painted my wife's golf cart to look like a bass boat with a super heavy flake...I STILL have House of Kolor blue flakes showing up 10 years and 2 houses later, so dealing with the aftermath of a flock job didn't really appeal to me much.

my 71 westy has a painted pop top so I figured that was a good easy way to go about things.

I chose a color close to the original flocking. you can see it better here

once the paint kicked it was on to the outside. I did the interlux roller job as I wanted to keep the pebble grain that the top had.

initially I started with white. that was a BIG fuck no...way too white. it was like staring into the snow on a day when the sun was out. so, I ended up picking a different shade, I think it was matterhorn white.

anyway, you can see the difference between the original color, matterhorn and white

best I can describe it is it's a "dirty" white. mixing it there was a lot of blue/grey that separated from the paint. it's actually pretty good looking (I think) and not so in your face.

prepping the top kind of sucked. some jackwagon used a river of silicone trying to revive the beef jerky skylight seal

sweet baby Jesus did that suck to remove. gave the top a 100mph sand

and off to the races

after testing the paint I was a bit concerned about the gloss level....it's a bit too shiny for this application (unless you have a top color matched to the van) but the roller I used mellowed it out enough I think I can live with it.

so while all that was drying I went about cleaning the mess under the luggage rack up

me and the kid buffed the whole roof together. she was actually pretty helpful and didn't bitch near as much as I was expecting.

I got the tie downs cleaned up

those got epoxied, painted and cleared sliver. I used all stainless to install them and as soon as I find a stainless footmans loop I like, i'll swap them out.

I also found the right screws in stainless for the rack too. I wasn't about to pay 1.25 each from Go Brokey and tossed them in on a Wurth order...for .13 each.

I thought I had some pix of the rack all done, i'll grab a few. i'm hoping I found someone with the correct rear bed cushion material. the p/o took it off to wash it (wonder what spilled on it....barf) and somehow lost it. I really hope we can make a deal. if not, i'll just order the material and get one made

more to come

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Great refresh thread. The Vanagon camper layout sure rocks.

Quote:
yep. I just drove the prices down 10%. nothing like white trash with money to ruin the gated community

Eventually they accept you. I just got a very nice citation to paint the cinderblocks holding up the lawn Volvo’s
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Eventually they accept you

meh...

it would be nice to make a few more vanagon contacts in terms of parts but i'm really not worried about being accepted here. this is more of a documentation for insurance purposes than it is about making friends.

you know how I roll...like me or don't....I don't care. the world will keep turning either way

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

special thanks to a member here for hooking me up with a rear mattress cover. story goes the p/o took it off to wash it, and it got lost....

sucks because other than that the interior is 99% there.

well, time to get going...

BOOM

it's a little baggy on both bottoms on the sides in the middle, but all in all better than a ripped to hell original.

I was kind of desperate to find a tent so I got the one that was available. not sure how I feel about the Velcro screen in the front, but let me tell you...

if you ever want to have a mild stroke lifting the roof...get the Velcro... as I was lifting the roof to full tilt I heard a riiiiiiiiipppppp. I about shit my pants. turns out it was the Velcro moving around as the top was stretched.

other than being a hair different than the bay window tents I have done, it wasn't *too* bad, but the corner screws 1000% sucked.

and this showed up the other day

I have to get cracking on some other work, as all of my engine stands are full of customer work so it will be a bit before I start the build of the engine. inching closer....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Nice, you got two quarts of Valvoline.

Very Happy

That’s a nice looking Bus , skills, not my favorite color either, but it fell into good hands. Kids will remember it forever.

Being a kid

Getting my license

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Nice, you got two quarts of Valvoline. Very Happy

that's not what the photo was about...it was about the 5qt jug of napa's fine high quality Briggs & Scrap iron oil

i'm with you on the color. not my favorite either but buffed out it looks way better.

my daughter is really into this, actually she's into all of them but here top picks are this and the single cab. to be 9 again....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

if you ever want to have a mild stroke lifting the roof...get the Velcro... as I was lifting the roof to full tilt I heard a riiiiiiiiipppppp. I about shit my pants. turns out it was the Velcro moving around as the top was stretched.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh man, I know that feeling. Right on the edge of throwing up.

5qts of oil? Pales in comparison to that nice pallet you've got. Is that knotty pine?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

I think the tent looks great. In my opinion it’s better to have some sag to reduce pressure points when the top is popped. Think of it like a pair of jeans. They tend to blow out in the knee because of the constant rubbing and stress. Those stupid baggy cargo jeans we rocked in the 90s never blew out in the knees. They just frayed at the bottom because they rubbed on the heel of our Timberland boots Cool Laughing
Hope that makes you sleep better at night Very Happy

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh man, I know that feeling. Right on the edge of throwing up.

yea, it was bad. like a heart attack, throwing up and shitting your pants all at once.

i was like:

Link

4Gears4Tires wrote:

5qts of oil? Pales in comparison to that nice pallet you've got. Is that knotty pine?

knotty pine? pfft. that's Japanese Maple Very Happy

Xevin wrote:
Think of it like a pair of jeans. They tend to blow out in the knee because of the constant rubbing and stress.

i figure it will shrink/stretch over time and settle out some. the corners are tight, but they were on the OE tent too. i hope it holds up ok...it should...i hope

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: