Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving the '84
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

looking forward to the engine swap, great work!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

The 3spd auto in that vanagon is probably the only piece of mechanics worth saving.

They are very easy to get parts for, and scrap yards are also full of them if you know where to look.

The same auto was used on the rabbit with a different final drive unit, and also a number of Audis had them, again with a different final drive. There are some internal differences but it's basically the same unit.

Also it is very easy to get yourself into lower rpms. You just swap out the ring and pinion for a lower final drive.

I swapped out the 4.09 ring and pinion set for a 3.27 set, which has the effect of raising the top speed and lowering the rpms in all gears.

Totally agree with your decision as to scrapping the engine. I did the same thing with my 2.1 litre wasserboxer. Had a look at it and determined it needed a lot of parts. Searched online and all I find is "NLA" (no longer available). Turns out the parts can be sourced, but they are "rebuilt" and they are expensive.

Most of the rebuilding seems to happen in non OEM shops and sometimes in people's basements, with no real quality standards or benchmarks. Just take it apart, clean it up and sell it for a lot of $$$$$ as a "rebuilt" unit.

Even the used parts were pricey.

That little 3spd auto is a piece of gold though. They are very good little transmissions. There is a reason why Vanagon owners like them. They are better than the 4spd manuals.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Your WIFE's Westy is really coming along. Cool Cool Cool

fixed it for you Very Happy

but, i have to admit...it is getting under my skin a bit. don't tell anyone...i kinda dig it.

fine...I'll add the rack bushings to the to-do list. I was hoping to do the rear control arms, but my donor isn't worthy of giving them up. My plan is to have a rack full of parts all ready to roll and install without too much down time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Been a while...

Haven't gotten too much done as I've been pretty busy but decided to hammer away at it because I kind of had to...

A client has shipped me their bus and as luck would have it my trans was done so I was able to get the bus picked up as well as my trans. member WM971252 runs a legit transport business so I use him whenever possible.

i was able to yank my trans, get it to him, he got my core back to Matt Steedle and picked up my new one and the clients bus.

If anyone knows how to build an automatic it's Matt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

few vids of him and his honda powered vanagon automatic

Link

Link

if anyone can build one to take abuse, it's this guy

so while the transmission was out I decided it was time to pull the engine

see ya later

in all honesty the engine DID run well after the fuel system was gone thru and a fresh set of plugs were put in. i just have zero interest in it. i have been deep enough in a few to make it a no brainer to move on.

anyway, i have to clean and paint the engine bay (well, i don't *have* to but i'm going to) and initially i was going to let the rear apron damage fly... but i thought about it and said screw it...may as well fix that too

it's a bit of a mess

I have a donor van which is an epic pile of shit and the apron on that was messed up on the other side.

after thinking about a plan of attack i trimmed some donor metal to repair the mess

in a perfect world i would replace the whole panel but i'll work with this. it's all sand blasted and i'll epoxy it tomorrow. it's cut funny because the donor (also an 84) had the notch in the center. not sure if that was a mid year or early/late thing but i just wasn't going to scab in another piece to get rid of it.

so close, but so far away....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

well, got the valance all set:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9546796#9546796

then moved on to a couple more things.

when i was just doing a 100mph 'make it run' marathon the titties that held the water pipe were rusty, paper thin and essentially useless so i set oy to fix that

made a new panel and got it 90% there

the factory sound deadener was a crumbly dusty nasty mess so that got tossed out in favor for some boom mat. i went with the silver just because it should be easier to wipe down. it's just shoved in there so i could map out the holes.

of course the retainer bars that hold the sound deadener in were like beef jerky all rusty and crumbly. out comes some stainless rod

add a few strips of stainless and i can toss the old retainers

test fit and it works just fine. too bad you can't see it against the boom mat

still have more cleaning to do before i paint the engine bay. it's getting there....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

well....

i got to the point where i could spray the jewelry box. by far it has to be the absolute worst engine bay to paint

also went ahead and got the boom mat and the stainless steel sound deadener holders in

my OCD wouldn't let me use the original plastic fuel lines. for one, they were kinked here and there, droopy and the ends have been crushed/kinked from clamps. the fact they aren't beaded really doesn't sit well with me.

yea, i get it...they came factory with plastic but it doesn't mean that it was a wonderful idea. even using the factory holes for the fuel line routing there is a funny whip in the line Confused

while the engine and transmission were out it was a good time to home run a feed and return line...so i did.

i was hoping to score a pair of trailing arms to swap out so i could just bolt in cleaned/painted ones but mine were in good shape. i just couldn't justify the added expense so i went and sand blasted one at a time just so this didn't hog the lift forever

initially i wasn't going to do the rear bushings, but decided i'm doing everything up front, why not do the rears too. i opted for the 2 piece powerflex which unfortunately were only available in purple... oh well, it is what it is.

the tail light panel/valance is all primed, just got to block it out and get that painted. once that's done i can start doing some reassembly

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

That is a real steep slippery slope you are on.... Cool

Looks great!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Are you replacing the plastic fuel lines with copper nickel? I'll throw a metric brake bubble flare on the ends of 3/8 copper nickel "brake line" and bam, now I have new fuel lines.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Just saw this now...have to go back and start at the beginning. What did you use for a master cylinder? I have an 83 Diesel that is about a month from the road. Just finishing up the engine rebuild/install and then just brakes left to do. Also realized we're practically neighbors, I grew up in Granby, CT still in the area (and the brown is cool BTW)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
Just saw this now...have to go back and start at the beginning. What did you use for a master cylinder? I have an 83 Diesel that is about a month from the road. Just finishing up the engine rebuild/install and then just brakes left to do. Also realized we're practically neighbors, I grew up in Granby, CT still in the area (and the brown is cool BTW)

A long hour west of you over the Berkshires

Pm me if you get stuck and I can help
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
That is a real steep slippery slope you are on.... Cool

tell me about it. and thank you. i don't half ass anything...ever. it never works for me when i do. the way i see it is if i'm there and it's in my hand i'm going to restore it. i just push the reset button a bit harder than most Laughing

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Are you replacing the plastic fuel lines with copper nickel? I'll throw a metric brake bubble flare on the ends of 3/8 copper nickel "brake line" and bam, now I have new fuel lines.

that is exactly what i did. even with the engine and trans out it was still an epic pain in the ass. i just don't like the idea of crimping rubber to plastic...at least not the stuff vw used at that time. newer euro junk uses cohline that is at least barbed. either way, nicopp for the win

unitedracing wrote:

it was either a FAG or ATE, i'd have to look. i'm closer to RI than i am Hartford. if i ever get this done we may pass each other on the road Laughing

this has been dragging on due to the fact i only have 1 lift at the shop so i can only do this stuff in-between other work so i only get a day or 2 where i can tie up the lift and it's late nights to get it back on the wheels and shoved in the corner of the shop but it's getting there....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

another painfully slow update...

west coast metric had the rest of the seals in stock so i ordered those a week or so ago and they finally came in. i got the drivers rear window all dialed in.

as suspected, zero rust under the seal

i have been contemplating have some dents popped out. i'm pretty good friends with my Dent Wizard guy so i asked if he wanted to get his ass kicked on some german steel.

Before:

After:

he got it laser straight. he is the only PDR guy i have met that doesn't woody woodpecker the everloving shit out of a panel. he is a true craftsman for sure.

passenger side rear window had an obvious hole. i'm trying to do as little paintwork to the van as possible but this is just unavoidable

window out

old rust out

new panel welded in

didn't bother to do a full play by play... my work here doesn't seem to amuse the vanagon crowd as it does the bay forum so i'm just chipping away as i have time

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

didn't bother to do a full play by play... my work here doesn't seem to amuse the vanagon crowd as it does the bay forum so i'm just chipping away as i have time

Consider me amused. That window corner looks like sorcery to me.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a really well done patch job on the window!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Amazing level of quality in your work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

See ? Metal work is easy.

Anyone who has done one of those lips knows there were a few steps left out

Awesome, Don.

Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
See ? Metal work is easy.

Anyone who has done one of those lips knows there were a few steps left out

Awesome, Don.

Very Happy

ha! thanks...it sucked to be honest. thankfully i was able to keep the outer body radius as the hole didn't extend that far.

made a mess with the handheld spot blaster to get into the pits but worth it to clean up the rust.

the other thing that sucked was digging out more of the interior because my gut told me that led into an open body cavity which it did...and that cavity was full of fiberglass

it kills me to work on this for 20 mins here, 45 mins there.... i wish i could just hammer on it and get it done but i'm glad to be busy too.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Nice Skills! I'm also from the Bay forums, we've crossed paths a few times. I just bought a 87 Vanagon this week. I feel like a kid going to a new school, then lo and behold, a familiar face! Laughing

When I bought the Bentley manual for the van I was thinking, $100 bucks? Hmm, prices went up. Well, the book is twice as thick as the Bays. Quite a bit more technology to learn. You and I know the Bay window all-stars, and I'm excited to meet the all-stars from the Vanagon world.

I'll be following your build!
notchboy wrote:

You were drinking last night, weren't you Shame on you
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Bradgt74 wrote:
Nice Skills! I'm also from the Bay forums, we've crossed paths a few times. I just bought a 87 Vanagon this week. I feel like a kid going to a new school, then lo and behold, a familiar face! Laughing

When I bought the Bentley manual for the van I was thinking, $100 bucks? Hmm, prices went up. Well, the book is twice as thick as the Bays. Quite a bit more technology to learn. You and I know the Bay window all-stars, and I'm excited to meet the all-stars from the Vanagon world.

I'll be following your build!

Some tip top people in the Van forum. But not a lot of silly shit like we post in the bay forum Wink Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Quote:

tell me about it. and thank you. i don't half ass anything...ever. it never works for me when i do. the way i see it is if i'm there and it's in my hand i'm going to restore it. i just push the reset button a bit harder than most Laughing

The few fleeting moments I’ve had thinking I’ll do shop,in retirement have been dashed by doing jobs this year on Volvo. I’ve billed for 20 hours but easily had twice that in cleaning fasteners, then replacing half of them on inspection.

Maybe you’ve learned to get that number down but I can’t seem to escape the 1:1 billed to unbilled when I add up all the time spent restoring, ordering, etc.

I don’t regret the work as it was done for friends, so I know their kids are driving solid cars. One guy who knows me well paid me twice my bill, so there’s that.

It’s just great to see the real deal out there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: