Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGR rod. Ideas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Okay, I know I need all around tune up. I will get on that now.
See how it goes.

My Question, why will it run when I have the rod fastened and not without it?

My injected 2.0 Will not fully start. It fires and then puffs out.

I looked around and found the codder pin gone and the plastic sleeve broken, old age. I had no luck so fashion a new one from an interior door clip, it worked and I drove her a couple of miles and realized my sleeve wasn’t good enough.
But she truly ran.

I spoke to a pro yesterday and he said. I am wondering what the opinion is from anyone out there.
Thank you for your time.

wThat is for your EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) which is part of your Smog system, under certain conditions it will open to bring a small amount of exhaust into the intake rather than outside air. That “Rod” connects between the Throttle Body and the EGR This is unlikely to be the cause of your issue?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Norma on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

An operational valve is not required for your engine to run. Unless you are trying to pass smog, you can leave it disconnected and continue troubleshooting.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Quote:
My injected 2.0 Will not fully start. It fires and then puffs out.

I don't understand your problem. If the rod is disconnected then the EGR doesn't affect your engine unless it is leaking gasses or has a bad diaphragm. If your bus suddenly started dying it is unlikely to be the EGR. You have some troubleshooting ahead.

What part of NorCal are you in?
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Lake county.

I don't understand your problem. If the rod is disconnected then the EGR doesn't affect your engine unless it is leaking gasses or has a bad diaphragm. If your bus suddenly started dying it is unlikely to be the EGR. You have some troubleshooting ahead.

What part of NorCal are you in?[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

A good Ace Hardware will have a selection if they have a hardware room. They are called R Cotter Pins, R-Clip, or R-Clip Springs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-clip . Your egr not opening will not cause the bus to die. A leaking one might whether it is connected or not. Most likely you need to look for a vacuum leak or ignition problem.

example:

Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to working on my tune-up.

I found a wire broken.
I think it goes to the temp regulator/fuel thingy.

Charging now.

Fingers crossed!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
A good Ace Hardware will have a selection if they have a hardware room. They are called R Cotter Pins, R-Clip, or R-Clip Springs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-clip . Your egr not opening will not cause the bus to die. A leaking one might whether it is connected or not. Most likely you need to look for a vacuum leak or ignition problem.

example:

No wonder I couldn’t find them, I was looking in the fish section. I did find a zhalibut though. Where to leave it?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

The EGR valve has a rubber diaphragm inside it. If it’s ripped, it leaks air (vacuum) and can stall the engine. With the rod connected/disconnected, the internal rubber diaphragm moves slightly and the air leak changes size. Remove the valve, make a block off plate for the plenum, and run it. If it runs well, welcome to the crew of folks waiting for solutions on EGR valves.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Gotcha!

Thank you.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

They do sell them for it, right?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Norma wrote:

It’s 2020, you’re going to have to define your pronouns.

Robbie
He/Him
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Norma wrote:

what is "it?" If it is the diaphragm, no.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Bloody Hell, are the EGR valves still available for purchase from a parts monger?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Interstate VW parts in Lake Elsinore sells rebuilt valves. They do not disclose what goes into the valves, rightfully so as they are devilishly hard to replicate and rebuild. Try at your own risk, or make your own out of sheet silicone, and replace it every thousand miles.

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
Bloody Hell, are the EGR valves still available for purchase from a parts monger?

used valves if you can find a good one. Interstate in SoCal sells "rebuilt" ones, whatever that means. They want about $300 for them. The rods come up for sale too sometimes. Have to watch for the parts. It has been NLA since about 1990. I have never seen a new one, come close to low mile ones a couple times.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

If just hooking up the rod causes your engine to die, I suspect that something is bent or not positioned correctly.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

It doesn’t die with the rod hooked up.
Actually the opposite, it starts and runs.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
It doesn’t die with the rod hooked up.
Actually the opposite, it starts and runs.

so the valve has two sides to it. One side is closed at idle and the other at wide open throttle. There is a small spring in the valve that closes the one side at idle. The diaphragm prevents air from seeping into the valve and getting in as a vacuum leak. If the bus will start with the valve hooked up, then most likely the mixture is whacked from the prior owner trying to compensate for leakage at the EGR. I'd block it off with a plate, and try to start the bus after that. Who knows what the PO did to accommodate mixture problems.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

Yes, the spring is loose now.
I don’t know how to stabilize it.
What can I use.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: EGR rod. Ideas Reply with quote

The spring on the rod is loose. I haven’t opened the valve yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: