Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Thank you, another Morimoto projector + HID fan. Last time I mentioned them I was ignored. They have an excellent 7" round LED retro fit, but nothing compares to HIDs with a projector. That crisp blue line at that the top of the cut off just look so cool imo.

Either way, projectors > reflectors.

Didn't really mean to ignore you when you told me to install HID's and then get back to you. The 640 does not have room for HID drivers or bulbs, nor the amps available.. therefore I installed an LED bulb in the projector housing and they work well. I think this is getting too far off topic but for grins I will also take a pic of that set-up against the same wall. I'm also tempted to pick up the MM 7" round LED for my van and offer up those pics as well.

J
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

Yeah, that's been my plan. SA grills and MM LEDs. If you beat me to it, I'd be interested in seeing it.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

I know you guys are all about the van, but d@mn . . . I'm on a budget here! Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

Again.. purely to show an LED bulb placed in a halogen projector housing. H1 LED on my 640

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Low beam only

Low with high beam “spot”

While neither of these are game changing.. in the case of the motorcycle with poor power output.. the LED bulb was insanely rewarding. I used to have to ride behind other folks at night with the stock lamps. Just like our aged vans.. sometimes things need a little help.

J
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

Love these!

The two photos are different only where I told the camera to focus. To the eye they are the full light look

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RXXT2XJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Love these!

I've seen these pop up in a few places recently, all advertised for the Jeep but saying they'll fit the vanagon. the price sure it right which made me curious but skeptical. how long have you had them in for? Any idea re: fit & finish? I don't expect much for that price but am tempted to just burn a little cash and try 'em...
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

NorthOf50 wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
Love these!

I've seen these pop up in a few places recently, all advertised for the Jeep but saying they'll fit the vanagon. the price sure it right which made me curious but skeptical. how long have you had them in for? Any idea re: fit & finish? I don't expect much for that price but am tempted to just burn a little cash and try 'em...

Had them for about 5k? miles now much of that night time. Just did a marathon trip NM IL MI OH FL. still LOVE them!

I say give them a shot, free returns usually so little risk if you don't like them.

When I was deciding, I ordered 3? sets and found these to be the whitest and brightest. I tried, no DRL, full circle DRL, and these. I liked the look of the full round DRL rings the best, looked like the van had eyes. the no DRL light effectively disappeared in the grill but my galvanized headlight retainer rings really stood out (If I kept those, I would have painted the rings black). These cat-eye DRL look ok but most importantly, they had the brightest white light.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

Just to add visual info here.
Daytime photos obviously, if you want nighttime pictures along with beam patterns, let me know.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

they look great!

to be clear, you ordered 3 different sets? the ones I have seen seem to offer DRL in your style only. Maybe we get less choice here in Canada.

If the photos match what the add I've seen says, it looks like the outer ring in white is the DRL, in amber is wired as a turn signal, then the inners are the low and high beam?

I've not yet fussed with my headlights, what amount of work was required to get DRL and such setup? I like the idea of having it all in one.

When you get a chance, would love to see some night shots but I think regardless there will be a set of these lights under the Christmas tree for Penny!

This is what I'm looking @ Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L5BNYKK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2XVD66QLVAEFN&psc=1

Also found these on eBay, they almost make a VW sign with the lens!
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-7-Inch-Round-LED-Headli...2934022311
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

Hey Northof50, if you ever make it down to Victoria let me know and come have a look, I've had these on my van for a couple years now.
For the DRL i've ran a wire from the fuse panel to the driver headlight thent to the pax headlight
For the turn signal each headlight is connected to the turn signal below.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos Reply with quote

NorthOf50 wrote:
they look great!

to be clear, you ordered 3 different sets? the ones I have seen seem to offer DRL in your style only. Maybe we get less choice here in Canada.

If the photos match what the add I've seen says, it looks like the outer ring in white is the DRL, in amber is wired as a turn signal, then the inners are the low and high beam?

I've not yet fussed with my headlights, what amount of work was required to get DRL and such setup? I like the idea of having it all in one.

When you get a chance, would love to see some night shots but I think regardless there will be a set of these lights under the Christmas tree for Penny!

This is what I'm looking @ Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L5BNYKK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2XVD66QLVAEFN&psc=1

Also found these on eBay, they almost make a VW sign with the lens!
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-7-Inch-Round-LED-Headli...2934022311

All in one headlights- The outer Ring, I wired to my park light circuit, sort of as a DRL circuit at lower daylight situations.
Once you activate your turn signals or Hazard lights, that same White Ring becomes Amber.
And as noted, the low beam and High beam are inside of the outer ring.
Like $95 from Amazon for the pair.
I’ll post a link shortly.
It’s very easy to run the 2 wires from your park/turn signal wiring up to the 2 small wires coming out of these headlights since there is so much room.
I decided not to run the Outer White Ring circuit off ignition running feed like true DRLs, to preserve the life of those LED segments versus wiring off the Park light circuit, which won’t be ‘ON’ nearly as much.

ttps://www.amazon.com/Approved-Daymaker-Headlight-Wrangler-Defender/dp/B079282TYG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=vouke+led+headlights+7+inch+round&qid=1605620458&sr=8-5

The offerings in 7" round lights is getting to be overwhelming, and prices are all over the map too..... Shocked Shocked Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: