Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Oh...and really....all the talk of sinks and tubs....These are mainly just tools for at home, limited work for the breaking down where you can use degreasers and water.

Really....the best $100 you can spend...and it means this is not a professional constant use system...but I used mine for 6 years with Kerosene and emulsifier solvent with no issues.....and gave it away when I moved and its still working....is just buy a harbor freight parts washer.

Use the sinks, water and soap to get rid of dirt and thick crud. And use the parts washer to get your stuff really clean for inspection.

Then take it to a machine shop (case mainly) for a jet-wash. Then back to your sink to meticulously clean galleys.

Machined steel surfaces should be solvent, blow dry and then oil only. So unless you are leaving it completely in the hands of a machine shop.....a cheap parts washer and about $50 in kerosene and Gunk concentrate is a bargain. You CAN get you stuff cleaner than a jet washer at home with a good parts washer.

So if you were spending money...get the big $5 plastic tub for mucking out and cleaning Galleys...and skip spending $65-100 on the plastic work sink and just buy a parts washer. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Just put another 300 or so hard miles on my bus this weekend. Mountain roads, fire roads, etc. Ran beautifully the whole time.

Now that temps aren't in the 90s anymore I decided to push it a bit more this weekend. Was cruising on the highway at mostly 4000rpm. Oil temps were steady at 200-205. CHT's were always below 350 and pressure was always over 40 psi.

I've found that if I keep the rpms up at 3800-4000 I don't even need to drop into 3rd going up hills fully loaded w camping gear. If I get caught at the bottom of a hill below 3700 I have to downshift. Pretty sure the torque peak of the 9590 might be up in the high 3000 range. No idea really. Never seen a dyno chart for it.

I will say though that after 3-4000 miles on the engine, you can really tell things are broken in and running smooth. 100% happy with my build right now.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

DO NOT try polishing the crank with emory cloth. it seems like a good idea. to those who dont know whar the emory cloth actually does.

from the pics of the rod journal you sent. wipe it down w/ a paper towel, take a pic, then lube it with an oil. wd-40 will be ok but not for long term. however, i would still use wd-40 or another water displacer because... its a wated displacer.

before you split the case,

find a chunk of foam or cardboard or siplock bagies, and label the for your push rods, and lifters. you should of done the same for you rockers, heads, etc if you havent. dont drop anything when you split the case either. also, dont try wiping off the oil pump cover surface or body yet. you will scratch it w/ that amount of gunk and debre.

dont mix up your rods either. keep the original bearings with the same con rod. you will need this for evaluation later.

there a whole bunch of to not to's as you can see. basically, dont be stupid anddont assume. just ask before you mess something up Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

I looked through every. Ray, a couple post back, you mentioned the heads were really black from oil saying there were few oil changes. I didn’t grab a picture but the oil filter had a good buildup of road grime saying that they rarely changed it. Also, the oil breather was crudded with oil gunk.

I will for sure keep the D-jet stuff in good shape. The loom is pretty good accept someone cut the wires to the pressure sensor. If there are people in the T4 forms that need any of those parts, let me know.

For the heads, I will get in contact with headflow masters. I will skip porting. For the bigger valve seat, will I have to do porting? The heads seem in pretty good shape though. I think the valve is just varnish or rust. It hasn’t been hitting the piston.

I will need to hone the cylinders, it looks like it rusted a little at the rings. The pistons are domed.

I did buy a parts washer today, I will post a pictures up with tools I got. Is it fine if I use a water mix degreaser on cylinders if I dry them off immediately after and coat them with oil or WD-40. Also, what’s the best way to preserve the parts from rusting. After I get the parts cleaned up, it will be a month or two before I will be back to the rebuild and I want to keep them good. Any recommendations?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

keep the oil filter. send it out and have it cut open and examined.

yes, you can use a solvent based water mix degreaser. just dry the parts and ligtly coat them with oil. use a paper towel to coat the parts.

if you have the head cut for larger seats then yes you will need to do some porting. have someone else do it or learn how to yourself. the heads are where the power is.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
DO NOT try polishing the crank with emory cloth. it seems like a good idea. to those who dont know whar the emory cloth actually does.

from the pics of the rod journal you sent. wipe it down w/ a paper towel, take a pic, then lube it with an oil. wd-40 will be ok but not for long term. however, i would still use wd-40 or another water displacer because... its a wated displacer.

before you split the case,

find a chunk of foam or cardboard or siplock bagies, and label the for your push rods, and lifters. you should of done the same for you rockers, heads, etc if you havent. dont drop anything when you split the case either. also, dont try wiping off the oil pump cover surface or body yet. you will scratch it w/ that amount of gunk and debre.

dont mix up your rods either. keep the original bearings with the same con rod. you will need this for evaluation later.

there a whole bunch of to not to's as you can see. basically, dont be stupid anddont assume. just ask before you mess something up Wink

I will not use Emory cloth.

For the push rods, should I marked them exhaust intake for each cylinder on each head. I kept it all separate from head to head. Thanks for the tip, I won’t now, I probably would of.

I kept the con rods and the caps and bearings together, when I took the connecting rods off the engine. I dropped two of the bearing half’s into the case taking them out. I made one bad mistake. I accidentally dropped a piston taking them out. It was a foot and a half and it was barely noticeable. I will post a picture. It’s hard too see. Still angry at myself for that one. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
keep the oil filter. send it out and have it cut open and examined.

yes, you can use a solvent based water mix degreaser. just dry the parts and ligtly coat them with oil. use a paper towel to coat the parts.

if you have the head cut for larger seats then yes you will need to do some porting. have someone else do it or learn how to yourself. the heads are where the power is.

Is it worth keeping the oil filter since I will be tearing everything down to inspect? I know it’d be great to do it on an engine if it was not going to get a full rebuild.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
Just put another 300 or so hard miles on my bus this weekend. Mountain roads, fire roads, etc. Ran beautifully the whole time.

Now that temps aren't in the 90s anymore I decided to push it a bit more this weekend. Was cruising on the highway at mostly 4000rpm. Oil temps were steady at 200-205. CHT's were always below 350 and pressure was always over 40 psi.

I've found that if I keep the rpms up at 3800-4000 I don't even need to drop into 3rd going up hills fully loaded w camping gear. If I get caught at the bottom of a hill below 3700 I have to downshift. Pretty sure the torque peak of the 9590 might be up in the high 3000 range. No idea really. Never seen a dyno chart for it.

I will say though that after 3-4000 miles on the engine, you can really tell things are broken in and running smooth. 100% happy with my build right now.

Thanks for the report! Good information. I still haven’t completely read through your thread yet, but you have a pretty similar set up as I’m planning correct? It sounds like it will work out well for me.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
I looked through every. Ray, a couple post back, you mentioned the heads were really black from oil saying there were few oil changes. I didn’t grab a picture but the oil filter had a good buildup of road grime saying that they rarely changed it. Also, the oil breather was crudded with oil gunk.

I will for sure keep the D-jet stuff in good shape. The loom is pretty good accept someone cut the wires to the pressure sensor. If there are people in the T4 forms that need any of those parts, let me know.

For the heads, I will get in contact with headflow masters. I will skip porting. For the bigger valve seat, will I have to do porting? The heads seem in pretty good shape though. I think the valve is just varnish or rust. It hasn’t been hitting the piston.

I will need to hone the cylinders, it looks like it rusted a little at the rings. The pistons are domed.

I did buy a parts washer today, I will post a pictures up with tools I got. Is it fine if I use a water mix degreaser on cylinders if I dry them off immediately after and coat them with oil or WD-40. Also, what’s the best way to preserve the parts from rusting. After I get the parts cleaned up, it will be a month or two before I will be back to the rebuild and I want to keep them good. Any recommendations?

So this was a D-jet engine. On one hand...the simplest injection system (23 wires and three main sensors)....but also the most "complicated" to tune...precisely because it had few inputs and NO SOFTWARE.

The D-jet type 4 PCV system...was flat out the best I have ever seen. Makes for a very clean motor. But....too many disconnect or circumvent it. And if you have any vacuum leaks whatsoever you run very rich. Between that and not changing oil...you get lost of varnish in the oil that bakes onto the case and heads.

So...ther should be no real porting to be done if you either keep valves stock size of go to 42 x36....but...in my experience ...the seats should be blended where they meet the heads just at their lower edge...to get rid of the ledge.

The cylinder honing. In one respect....I could say take it to a shop with a good Sunnen hone. Do not let them tell you that cylinders are so cheap no one does this. Good cylinders...stock early 70's cylinder quality...does not really exist anymore.

But first...measure the bores...diameter, ovality, taper. If they are shot...they are shot. Measure the pistons. Yu are looking for the ability to hone about .0005" out without being out of spec. If they are worn to the limit and you have no more to work with...its new cylinder time...or possibly new/oversized piston time.

A good hone...just enough to put a tooth on it.....if the guys with the Sunnen hone have good control...should remove no more than 0.0005". We are not trying to correct ovality, heavy scoring or taper.

If you have any of those the cylinders are done unless you have oversized pistons...then its fine.

That being said......if you NEED oversized pistons....I do have a set of 40 year old...pristine...new...Japanese NPR domed pistons with rings and pins that are 90.5mm...that I have been saving for I do not now what. Excellent pistons.

Don't ask me about them until you find that you need them... Wink

But aside from that...if your measurements are close enough that the machine shop will not guarantee the final measurement with new cross hatch....you CAN do this with a bottle brush hone. They will work fine. Ray
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

You need to buy a micrometer set and a dial bore gauge now and not later. you have so many things to measure before you can take a step forward after cleaning everything up. try your best not to cbeap out on these tools. you will use them forever and they will last forever if you dont abuse them. always put them back in the case they belong in, dont drop them, have them zeroed, be careful with the tips. my .0001 HF micrometer is surprisingly very accurate and more than worth the 50 odd bucks i paid for the set.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ray,
Yes, the D-jet system seems good for sure. My squareback has the original system and it was a bit of a challenge waking from a 40 year slumber, but it works good now. This morning it started right up a 28 degrees F when I left for school, it is a very good system for the time it was made, and even now. I think I will be udgrading to modern on this though.

Should I take the cylinders to a local shop to be honned? Or should I send them somewhere? The bottle brush hone is the same as a flex hone correct?

Chickensoup, I have a micro meter but I do need a dial bore gauge. Just a HF one or is there any other reputable brands

Thanks, Aiden
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

something like this will be good enough. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900041

HF doesnt sell dial bore gauges to my knowledge.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
something like this will be good enough. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900041

HF doesnt sell dial bore gauges to my knowledge.

I have that exact gauge.

You can get it here and many other places for far lower than that.

https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Indicator-0005-Gauge-ra...=401577011

It actually works very well....but a couple of items.

If you are measuring case bores for crank....it helps get a better gauge for it. A huge range of standard dial indicators will fit right onto it in seconds. The one that comes with it....and this is usually the difference in price....is either 0.001" or 0.0005". Mine is 0.0005"...and its decent ....but my Starrett 0.0001" gauge drops right in and reads more consistently.

Second....unscrew the barrel and remove the rod spring inside. A whole lot of these gauges have far too stiff of a spring. Its what scratches up bearings and cylinders.

Gauges like the Sunnen gauge....with a Sunnen dial gauge...use the spring in the dial indicator itself as the main spring. Its what gives it that butter soft contact feel. Or...you cn go to the hardware store and buy something in between a dial gauge spring and the rod spring for a $1.

Before deciding to send you cylnders out for a hone....clean them and inspect them and post pictures....and measure them.

Rememebr...if you are reusing the pistons and cylinders with new rings....if teh cylinders are non scored and are round enough and now worn past spec....all you need is a new cross hatch pattern to break in the new rings. Ray
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

a few things to simplify your rebuild . With the heads , you wouldn't put a set of 42mm in 37.5mm ex heads on a 1680cc type 1 unless you were building an engine to run well over 7000rpm .

your standard 1700 valves will work well up to 6500rpm according to valve sizing calculators . pull the heads apart , clean everything . Then check the guide stem wear and face/seat wear . you may get lucky and just need to change the valve springs and lap the valves in .No porting
.In stock form they flow ( Len Hoffman's data on STF) almost as much as a panchito. (My preference is still new heads)

with the bottom end ,don't forget the case bolt thats goes in from the #3 #4 side just above the oil pick up .

Again , strip and carefully clean the main bearing and rod bearings (don't mix them up ). Inspect for wear . If they have no obvious wear (look for different shades of metal), and that the crank journals are not scored .

Next check the fit of the centre main bearing half in the case . It should push in place and not be easy to just pluck out with your fingers . The rod bearing shells should also stay in place and not fall out .

With a 1700 low mile engine the OEM old VW bearings may be better than anything you are going to buy today ! For a budget build I would consider reusing them .

Bottle brush hones are good for deglasing bores and are easy to use .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
a few things to simplify your rebuild . With the heads , you wouldn't put a set of 42mm in 37.5mm ex heads on a 1680cc type 1 unless you were building an engine to run well over 7000rpm .

your standard 1700 valves will work well up to 6500rpm according to valve sizing calculators .

I say that REALLY depends on too many things...and not just valve sizing calculators. I have run 42 x 36 in 1.7L engines with excellent results.

My last 1.7L ran 42 x 36 and ran extremely well. It made right at 88 rwhp.
When that engine build gets going this coming year....it will have 42 x 36 again.

The issue itjat makes it work or not.....s a big pile of variables . What cam....what exhaust. More importantly....what intake system what gearing/rpm/tire size.....and most importantly....valve seat throat to stem ratio and compression ratio and deck....which = efficiency and velocity.

Add further....big differences with port injection or carbs.

All of these items combine to make the airflow volume and velocity work at the rpm ranges you need it to.

I will say that 42 x 36 is the absolute limit....imho.....for a normally aspirated 1.7L. And.....in as many cases as not.....it may be too much valve. Everything has to be aboslutely tuned the best it can be.
If your valves are at the limit in size....you cannot get away with having a TB or TB's too large or small. As you make fuel changes....you make ignition changes....almost always. And....low compression and big confortable decks......will = low throttle response....pointing out velocity and efficiency loss when it happens.

Bear in mind my engine was D-jet injected. The 1.7L intake runners and plenum are almost perfectly sized volume and diameter size. A lot of tuning went into it for exact fuel pressure....and I used a 2.0L TB (which worked better but the jury is still out). Compression was about 8.4.1.
The operative best peak rpm band was between 3500 and 4500 rpm. Cam was a web #73.

The heads had minor port work (unshrouding and seat blending). Ignition could have gone farther.....was only a pertronix module and 42kv coil.....and that was a noticable improvement with W7DTC plugs. A little more voltage would be ideal.

The two biggest control changes were stabilizing fuel pressure to 0.5 psi for better fuel mixture accuracy.....and readjustment of injection timing.....which is kind of a custom thing but affects fuel pressure stability on a MAP controlled system.

But it went to show that tbe 42 x 36 were very operable in this engine....when all else is tuned for it.

Oh.....final drive ratio of 3.73:1 with a 1:1 fourth gear.

Not saying you are wrong that he should stay with stock valve sizes....especially with carba. But if he is goinbg with aftermarket injection especially with full jgnitikn control and stay with the stock FI manifolds.....he could do well.

Oh......and 37.5 for the exhaust IS TOO BIG. 42 x36 or 42 x 35. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

If you need help measuring things, I'm pretty close, PM me.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

RWK, thank you! I may take you up on that if I need some help!

Either way, I can say no carbs for sure, probably new FI but fall back in D-jet worse case.

I kept track of everything, two connecting rod bearing shells fell down in when I was taking the P&C off under the cam. I will get them soon when I split the case. I cleaned the bores of the wrist pins before tapping them out with a brass punch.

Before I forget, is it a 12mm 12point driver to take the bolts off the drive plate?

Here are pictures. Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then parts washer and tools I got yesterday

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ray, thanks to the link for the dial bore gauge. I do have a micrometer but I probably need a new one, mine is too small for much I’d guess. It’s a Mitutoyo brand. Then I have calipers that are brown&Sharpe

Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

To clarify Ray , I just used the 42/37.5 size as a common type 1 combination . meaning if someone proposed on this forum that they wanted to build a 1680cc for a bay bus with those valves sizes people would advise to use stock valves .

Also being a budget build ,1700's don't have seat/valve issues the 2lt's have ,so there could be considerable saving to be made . If the heads check out OK .

I totally get the output you got from your engine , with the correct tuning and sizing of the intake and exhaust plus every clearance would be perfect .

It is amazing what can be achieved over "stock " power levels with know how and simple improvements .

A friend gets approx 80WHP from 1580cc TP's with stock heads ,manifold and 34pict with restrictor plate and a regulation cam based on a 1500s cam .

Cecker64 , I wouldn't be re using those rod bearings and would be measuring the crank with a micrometer .
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Wreck, the connecting rod bearings are pretty bad, none are great.

What about the wrist pins? They don’t look great but I don’t have a good frame of reference.

I think I will get the heads rebuilt, I don’t want to take any chances there.

I’m hoping to make those small improvements and that it will help performance and longevity.

Once I get a micrometer that’s bigger, I will check the crank.

Thanks, Aiden
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 21

Jump to: