Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! !
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

I used Coinstar to cash in a bunch of Dollar pieces (1145) to be exact. When using Coinstar for Amazon you get full value, no discount.
They give you a voucher which is just like a gift card without the card. You then upload the numbers into your Amazon account and spend it as you normally would.
I made 2 purchase that equaled about $1050 US dollars. Which left me about $80.00. I decided to apply that towards a "Youtube" subscription for 6 months, since I'm tired of constant commercials and ads. The transaction went through with no warnings. 20 minutes later it still had not showed up as a completed purchase, and then the sent me an Email that I had purchased gift cards from an Unauthorized vendor and they closed my account, cancelled my orders and kept all of my funds.
The email stated that they will not refund my funds or Reinstate my account. Like any big company there is no one that answers the phone or that can help you.

"When you cash in at a Coinstar® kiosk for an Amazon.com Gift Card* eCertificate** there's NO FEE!
That means you get to spend every penny on whatever you like. Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and can be redeemed for millions of items."

If you want to contest it, you must send a letter to a 3rd party intermediary that will review your case.
Amazon as we speak are having a promotion touting that you can use Coinstar with no fee for all Amazon products.
This is pure thievery with no oversite. So now I have to spend hours to recover that which is rightfully mine.
As of yet Amazon has just sent me boiler plate responses to my questions. Coinstar washes their hands of it as they funded my account and that's where their liability ends.
When these compnaies get this big and powerful, they think they can do anything they want.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Check online and inquire with a lawyer... I doubt yours is an isolated case. if not, the threat of a class-action lawsuit would get more attention than one person.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Quote:
Like any big company there is no one that answers the phone or that can help you.
I can't tell if you called or just emailed or you are saying they couldn't help on the phone.

You called the Amazon phone # at 1 (888) 280-4331 and no one answered?

I called, said "gift card," and it went right to a live operator.

I've used the Coinstar Amazon gift cards a bunch of times but only for products straight off Amazon.com
So I know zero about buying a YouTube subscription with it and wonder if that process is messed up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

So who closed the card? Amazon?

This is why I like to do as much Direct business as possible. Instead of using CoinStar and getting an Amazon gift card (introducing two corporations into the mix), I'll go to the bank to deposit it. Then spend it. If there is an issue, I know can get it addressed at the bank.

I hope you get your money back.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Yes, Amazon did. Suspend my account, took my money and cancelled my orders.
Bastards.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

I've had to call Amazon twice for orders that were not as described. I've been connected to a live operator very quickly, and have had resolution immediately. Actually I was pleasantly surprised how quick my issues were resolved.

What did Amazon say?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

They said that I will expect a call within 24 hrs. I'm still waiting ! ! ! They use an outside "Neutral" arbitrator that I must send a letter to and explain my side
if I can't work it out with them.
We're talking about $84.00 here. I could care less about the money, it's them playing God with my money and making me jump through hoops to get it back.
I've looked on line and I am not the first person this has happened to and no one has commented on a happy or positive outcome yet.
This very well could have been the entire $1200.00. This could be money that someone needs to pay their bills, as they push this as a means for people that deal in cash that have no credit to be able to buy on Amazon and use their money freely.
This is thievery, if I didn't contest it they wouldn't pay it any mind and go on about their day.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Here are the terms and conditions from the Amazon/Coinstar website. I would definitely have a gripe too, but they do lay out some pretty tight restrictions on what the card can and cannot be used for.

Terms and Conditions

-Click here for more information
-When you complete an Amazon.com Gift Card transaction at a Colnstar
kiosk, you are purchasing an Amazon.com Gift Card In the amount you
select and automatically claiming It to your Amazon Balance.
-Coinstar transactions are non•refundable, except as required by law. Other
restrictions apply. For full terms, see Terms and Conditions.
-Coinstar transaction must occur between 12:01 am (PT) on September 15,
2020 and 11:59 pm (PT) November 30, 2020.
-Offer limited to the first time a customer gets an Amazon.com Gift Card -
claim code at a physical location.
-Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (look for “sold by
Amazon.com” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party
sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if fulfilled
by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
-Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and
free promotional items.
-Offer limited to one per customer and account.
-The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $5 off products sold
by Amazon.com.
-You will receive an e-mail from Amazon that indicates the dollar amount of
the promotional credit and that the dollar amount of the credit has been
added to your customer account.
-Promotional credit expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) December 31, 2020.
-Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
-Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
-Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in
your order.
-If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your
refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to
applicable refund policies.
-If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
-Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion,
promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be
redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards, prepaid open loop cards, or third-party
gift cards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

So it looks like the last paragraph ties it up. Because I used the funds to pay You Tube it is against the rules.
One would think that it would just not allow the transaction? It seems a pretty harsh penalty to close someone’s account and keep their funds.
This offer from Coinstar has an expiration date so it looks like they are trying to suck people in that don’t use credit and then it’s a Gotcha when it expires.
I will fight the good fight. But what a bunch of jerks, I would imagine there are a large line of people like me in the same boat.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

amazon needs to disappear off the face of the earth. like that musky boy.

they have... too much powa!!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

It is a case of the fine print put last. No different then a CC company raising you interest rate because of your late payments on your car that are reported to a reporting company, you either didn't read it, or understand it.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Mr Half assed is dead on. I did not read the fine print. But taking someones money and closing their account. Come on !

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Millions and Millions of people go to work every day trying to figure out how to extract value out of everything and everyone. Fine print is one example. They draw you in with big headlines like 'Free'

I am glad I know nothing about something like Coinstar.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
So it looks like the last paragraph ties it up. Because I used the funds to pay You Tube it is against the rules.

One would think that it would just not allow the transaction?

I agree, it should have disallowed it if it was done through Amazon.com

I'm on your side here regardless as you shouldn't lose the money but
You definitely have more of a legitimate gripe if that's what happened
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankc72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

I would file a complaint with the FTC.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/identity-theft-and-data-security/filing-complaint
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

This sounds similar to what happened with just $50 20 years ago on Paypal. My sister bought me a $50 GC to get me to kickstart a Paypal acct. Immediately, they denied me access to it because I didn't have an acct. Then they denied my sister access because she had put it in my name. I said FU to Paypal then and do to this day.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

I’m still waiting for my return phone call.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

The most pitiful out there are those who arbitrage in Frequent FLyer miles

I travel a lot, and usually accumulate about 500,00-1,000,000 per year. I consume them as quickly as I 'earn them'

I have no interest in further travel, and they are like Reichsmarks - always depreciating as the airlines accumulate huge loads on their books.

Its a shock to most to find out they dont actually own the miles that sit in theor 'accounts'
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The most pitiful out there are those who arbitrage in Frequent FLyer miles

I travel a lot, and usually accumulate about 500,00-1,000,000 per year. I consume them as quickly as I 'earn them'

I have no interest in further travel, and they are like Reichsmarks - always depreciating as the airlines accumulate huge loads on their books.

Its a shock to most to find out they dont actually own the miles that sit in theor 'accounts'

I find this to be shocking and funny......"arbitrage in frequent flyer miles" You can tell I'm old and dont get out much, but that shit is funny. Who would have ever thought that was a possibility. I mean, put up your frequent flyer miles to represent your dumb ass point. What is this world coming to?
Also miles being like Reichmarks.isnt that the truth. My brother in law who travels almost everyday (flying) was quoted a price to fly three states away on his off time, and had to cash in a real load of miles. And it changed from day to day, until he flew. There was no securing the price two weeks out. The airline wanted payment for the ticket, based on what the price was when he actually flew. Anyway, I completely do not understand how the miles work. Oh yea, this is about Coin Star.........they got me at Krogers when the sign said NO CHARGE when you apply monies received to a Kroger gift card. I shop there all the time anyway. So, when I was finished counting, the machine didnt even acknowledge Kroger. I was OUT 10%. I told the manager, and got pissed off enough, they called the police on my wife and me. Guess who lost....ME. The story is much longer, but you get the picture.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon / Coinstar thievery / Watch out for these clowns ! ! Reply with quote

Complaint filed with the FTC and letter mailed in to the Arbitrator and still no return call from Amazon. As well as a letter to Coinstar warning them about who they've partnered with.
The only difference Amazon and Jessie James is that the latter wore a mask.
Curious to see how this ends.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: