Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plug wires and spark plugs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

Getting ready to do a tune up. Is there a favorite go-to that everyone has had good success with? I've had good results with NGK in the past. Is this okay for a '95 EVC? Stay with copper plugs? Stay away from platinum/iridium? Single electrode, or multiple electrode? Are there plugs and wires that I should stay away from?

Thanks for any and all advice.
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

I tend to go with Champion or NGK in copper for that engine - the 2.5L gasoline.

Looks like the OEM plug is BPR5EKU so that's what I'd get again.

If you can get OEM wires and they won't break the bank then do that. Otherwise NGK or any other top quality brand should be good.

If it's lasted this long as OEM I'd go OEM and get another 25 years out of it. Smile
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

I like NGK (I ride bikes). I fitted the iridum plug, used them on many bikes and found them to perform well and last well. BPR5EIX is whats in mine
Also got some NGK leads.
If your changing the leads then you may want to do the cap and rotor at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

i've been very happy with my 4 electrode iridium bosch plugs in my 2.5 aaf 5 cylinder. they are unobtanium at this point but bus depot still has their little brothers, the 2 electrode platinum.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses!

I placed an order with RockAuto earlier today. I ordered NGK wires, Bosch double tipped platinum plugs...they were on clearance for $0.99 each. I also bought a genuine VW cap, and a Bosch rotor. I hope to have them soon. I will report back once everything is in place. Hopefully it will eliminate the stutter I get when I step on the accelerator.
Mark in a Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Thanks for all the responses!

I placed an order with RockAuto earlier today. I ordered NGK wires, Bosch double tipped platinum plugs...they were on clearance for $0.99 each. I also bought a genuine VW cap, and a Bosch rotor. I hope to have them soon. I will report back once everything is in place. Hopefully it will eliminate the stutter I get when I step on the accelerator.

I have a ‘94 and tried the NGK wires (model RC-VWC028). Ended up having to return them because they a) didn’t snap tight to the plugs, and b) was too short to reach the coil. The NGK platinum plugs work fine, though. Hope the wires work better for you.
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

[quote="Mark in a Van"]
white74westy wrote:

I have a ‘94 and tried the NGK wires (model RC-VWC028). Ended up having to return them because they a) didn’t snap tight to the plugs, and b) was too short to reach the coil. The NGK platinum plugs work fine, though. Hope the wires work better for you.

There are two coil lengths for the T4 over the years but your part code looks fairly different to mine (95)
NGK lead pack number RC-VW902
It is the longer coil wire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark in a Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

[quote="dazey77"]
Mark in a Van wrote:
white74westy wrote:

There are two coil lengths for the T4 over the years but your part code looks fairly different to mine (95)
NGK lead pack number RC-VW902
It is the longer coil wire.

I contacted NGK Canada for their input and was told they agreed that the length was not correct but they said they did not offer an alternative set for my model/year. Back they went.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

As I stated above, I placed an order with Rock Auto. I was a little worried after reading some of the other comments that fitment might be an issue. However, I'm pleased to say that everything worked out.

Here's what I got:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My apologies...but I didn't take a picture of the cap, before I installed it. I ordered an original VW cap to go along with the items above. They have all been installed and are working well!

Here's what came out of the van:

All things considered, the plugs didn't look great, but they didn't look terrible either. They had an unknown number of miles since they were last changed. I have no idea when the cap, rotor, wires etc. were replaced prior to taking ownership. It is hard to tell in the photo, but the contacts inside the cap are pitted. The rotor was extremely stubborn coming out. As you can see in the pictures, the end was burned and corroded. Overall, the van seems to be much happier since they were all changed out. I'm waiting on a new oil drain plug, in order to complete the last portion of the tune-up. Somebody reefed on it and stripped the head. As soon as it comes in, I hope to drain the oil and put in some fresh oil.

I hope this helps!
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

At one point I had I installed the 4 electrode bosche plug. Performed worse than
The old ones I took out. Lowered mpg consistently .
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

I haven't had very good luck with the four electrode plugs, either, but some people dig them.

Changing plugs is usually a pretty easy job, too, so it's worth trying them out if you dig. I generally tend to stick with copper single electrode plugs.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

I changed everything out too (wires, distributor, rotor and plugs) in my 95 EVC.

The Bosch Platinum +2 plugs work great.

I bought the Magnecor KV85 8.5mm ignition wire kit from Pelican Parts. Expensive but the build quality is superb. Very happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback! I have no reference point, other than the way the vehicle ran prior to the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap having been replaced. So far, so good! I stayed away from the 4 electrode plugs, because there seemed to have been so many mixed results. The two electrode plugs seem to be doing well. There is a definite difference in the perceived performance. I don't have figures yet, because I haven't had her out enough to be able to gather any data, like mpg etc.

The thing that has me completely hacked off at the moment is the oil drain plug:

As you can see, somebody really went to town on this thing, and I can't for the life of me get it out. So completely aggravated and frustrated by this. I have tried a number of different tools and methods, and it still has not budged. I'm also struck by just how soft the metal on the bolt head is. I will figure it out...eventually. Evil or Very Mad
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

Someone made a right mess of that, good luck getting it off.

If you want an interim solution to the oil change, you can get suction kits for sucking all the oil out of the sump via the filler neck

E.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002EJ2GUC/?coliid=I12..._lig_dp_it
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

Get a good, new Vice Grip and get that locked on.that will get it.

Easy to weld a bar onto it , too.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

The problem is that the drain plug washers aren't soft.aluminun
so people goon them on to keep them from dripping. Good luck, use vice grips and get a new plug washer and maybe use an oring behind.it
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

dazey77 wrote:
Someone made a right mess of that, good luck getting it off.

If you want an interim solution to the oil change, you can get suction kits for sucking all the oil out of the sump via the filler neck

E.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002EJ2GUC/?coliid=I12..._lig_dp_it

Cheers dazey77!

This was on the list of options. However, I wanted to chase down all the other options before I went that direction. Update below! I will likely do something similar when it comes time to do power steering. Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get a good, new Vice Grip and get that locked on.that will get it.

Easy to weld a bar onto it , too.

Yes sir!!! I started with parrots nose channel locks and was going to work my way up to a good set of vice grips. Went a slightly different direction.

I would have forgotten about the possibility of welding, had you not mentioned it. Hopefully there's never a next time, but...
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

subdewd wrote:
The problem is that the drain plug washers aren't soft.aluminun
so people goon them on to keep them from dripping. Good luck, use vice grips and get a new plug washer and maybe use an oring behind.it

Man I was pissed!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I promise, there were lots of bad words thrown around, particularly after each new approach failed.

This will never happen again, as long as I own the rig. I just can't understand why anyone would think this was okay!
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wires and spark plugs Reply with quote

2 words,,,jiffy lube. R neighbors honda came home with a cracked oil pan.
Leaked out on their driveway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: