Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Experience with mig welders?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

Question
I wanted some feedback on mig welders regarding warranties. I was told that harbor freight has a service plan on something like a vulcan migmax that allows you to exchange the welder if its got issues.
I was wondering if anyone had used their warranty or service plan on their welder. Not just harbor freight but other manufacturers such as Lincoln or miller.
My concern is that buying a welder for hobby type uses, the equipment might sit in garage for entire warranty period between uses.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

I use transformer type Migs,
Older Hobarts & Millers
I have never needed any repairs.
If they do need work, they are easy to work on anyway.

there were two times I THOUGHT it was broke.
One time I got a rock stuck in the gas solenoid valve, removed rock, reassembled.
The other time, The switch was in-between positions. didn't realize until after I took it apart tho.
20 years, three machines, that's the only problems Laughing

Warranties are stupid. If it broke I don't want another one.

At work I use a Lincoln, 5 or 6 years old, it's been problem free as well.

My brother got an eastwood. I don't like it because it's a gas hog and sometimes shocks the operator, but it welds fine, like a 140T, probably because they copied that.

My neighbor got a vulcan, it's also a gas hog, but works fine so far.
So light weight, there must be nothing inside the box. Shocked
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and buy a name brand. Miller, Hobart, Victor, ESAB. Some day the warranty will run out. Bonus if the gun is Tweco or Miller compatible, as those parts are in practically all welding supply stores.

The museum where I volunteer bought a Vulcan machine. It probably sat in the box, unopened, for 9 months before we used it. It welds ... OK. After a couple of months we had an issue with the tip adapter and the neck of the gun and could not get replacement parts ... had to replace the entire gun and lead all the way to the machine. Of course we had to wait a few weeks for that to come in. And it was out of warranty too.

I recently refurbished an old Century unit with new trigger switch, new liner and new rollers. Welds like new. Machine is no longer made. Parts are still available. This was for my Dad.

I bought a Hobart Handler 140, barely used, for myself. The guy wanted to learn how to weld, then left the machine to sit in his shed. Perfect machine for automotive body work and light around the house use. Parts in the gun handle are replaceable. After several years it still works like new. Loaned it to the museum while the Vulcan was out of commission. Zero issues.

The Hobart is available at lots of big box stores like Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, some home centers.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

I bought a Campbell Hausefeld from KMart over 20 years ago and I have used it to repair things and build VW dunebuggies. Its a flux core welder and it certainly has it challenges but it has performed flawlessly (for what it is) and has never had an issue.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

Dave588 wrote:
Question
I wanted some feedback on mig welders regarding warranties. I was told that harbor freight has a service plan on something like a vulcan migmax that allows you to exchange the welder if its got issues.
I was wondering if anyone had used their warranty or service plan on their welder. Not just harbor freight but other manufacturers such as Lincoln or miller.
My concern is that buying a welder for hobby type uses, the equipment might sit in garage for entire warranty period between uses.

I have a Hobart Handler 140 I am trying to sell; I bought another welder and this one is "superfluous to my needs". PM me if interested, I'll make a deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

I bought this welder in 1997 from a real welding shop. Still going strong. The one time I thought is was broken, I took it all apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turns out this had nothing to do with the welder not working. The tap switch was between positions but I was lucky to have found this. Repaired a chewed piece of wire insulation then done.

I have lots of crap tools. My Harbor Freight body hammers are perfect for when you want to hit a hammer with another hammer. But I tend to get good stuff for things I use a lot. Having a friendly neighborhood welding shop to get parts, gas, supplies and advice is worth it too.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

out of all of the "big 3" styles of welders. my favorite? TIG! Twisted Evil
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Older Hobarts & Millers

One time I got a rock stuck in the gas solenoid valve, removed rock, reassembled.
The other time, The switch was in-between positions. didn't realize until after I took it apart tho.

My brother got an eastwood. I don't like it because it's a gas hog and sometimes shocks the operator, but it welds fine, like a 140T, probably because they copied that.

Yes...I have an Eastwood 140 also. i have had no issues...it welds better than I do Laughing

Yes....it is a little bit of a gas hog. I'm not sure if its the nozzle or what...but always seems to require a little more gas psi than most other rigs would need for the same for the same task.

When I was shopping I looked at the Lincoln 140T.....but at that point in time about 7 years ago....all of the Lincoln 140's I found did not have infinite current or wire speed adjustment (either one or the other or both...can't remember). But about about 30% more for the Lincoln...not as adjustable...and basically the same unit....I went with the Eastwood. Its been good.

All I bought the Eastwood for is sheet metal and small stuff. Ray
Dave588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
modok wrote:
Older Hobarts & Millers

Yes...I have an Eastwood 140 also. i have had no issues...it welds better than I do Laughing

Yes....it is a little bit of a gas hog. I'm not sure if its the nozzle or what...but always seems to require a little more gas psi than most other rigs would need for the same for the same task.

When I was shopping I looked at the Lincoln 140T.....but at that point in time about 7 years ago....all of the Lincoln 140's I found did not have infinite current or wire speed adjustment (either one or the other or both...can't remember). But about about 30% more for the Lincoln...not as adjustable...and basically the same unit....I went with the Eastwood. Its been good.

All I bought the Eastwood for is sheet metal and small stuff. Ray

All I am looking for is sheetmetal. I have a Lincoln Idealarc for stick welding.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

great for sheetmetal.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with mig welders? Reply with quote

All welders are pretty much vastly different. What type of gun do you want? Stepped or variable voltage control?

If repairability is your main concern, I recommend looking at a HTP welder. If efficiency is a concern ,look into a inverter welder.All transformer welders have a board in them for wire speed which can fail as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: