Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Lots of great information shared in the last thread I started https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674875
But now i have more $ and i cant decide and need to know, if you had no budget limit(performance being priority), what would you do? I read someone say they think the cdh is better than propex?

-I need my bench seat storage so thats not an option

-mounting underneath vehicle seems good as far as saving space but it feels like there could be other drawbacks for that

-would be nice to have something that ties into propane or gas lines- but I could also carry a small can of diesel ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

-I want to maybe install a electric fridge instead of my propane one and wondering if i could then vent it out of the flu vent or if anyone has done that?

-or if anyone has connected it to the air vents above the sliding door

Thanks for helping me avoid frostbite and or mild discomfort this winter Very Happy
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

im in the same boat, guy up here is suggesting the webasto diesel heaters.. says that they work amazing for the sprinters he builds.
I measured, and they are small enough to fit in a box in the center console area kicking heat back
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

You'll need to decide on the fuel being used. Gas, propane, or diesel. They all can work well especially if price is no object. Do you want to add another fuel tank to your existing system?

Many of those who went CDH did so because of the extremely low cost and decided that running another fuel tank was worth it vs spending another $1000 or so for a heater that would run on their existing fuel tank(s).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Love my gasoline Eberspatcher B1LC. Small, quiet, and I only have one fuel source. Love it so much I installed one in my 73 Westy too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I have a Propex, so am therefore biased. That being said, I would choose either the Webasto gas furnace or the Propex LPG furnace, because I don't want to have to carry a third fuel type on board.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I vote for single fuel.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I have a diesel and the best money that ive spent on my van has been the eberspacher d2 diesel heater. They make a gas version and it is so nice to never have to worry about filling up a propane tank or figure out some other form of fuel and heat. It is definitely a luxury and one that you have to pay for but in my opinion it is well worth the cost. The heater takes up very little room, is super safe (regardless, one should still use a carbon monoxide detector) and is very fuel efficient. I dont have to pack an ungodly amount of blankets and sleeping bags when camping in cold weather and everyone sleeps in comfort. If you have the money it is well worth it. many threads on cheap Chinese diesel or gas heaters that dont cost much. run the fuel that your vehicle uses. As long as your car is fueled up, you will never have to think about your heating fuel.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Hate to say it but my main source of heat is an electric blanket, with the diesel heater for when it gets too cold. The blanket is “low voltage” made to run on 16 volts AC but I plug it into 12v and it just heats less. It is really gentle heat and can never get hot enough to burn its wires. I use springy clips to layer blankets depending on the temps. The blanket’s controller can’t run on DC so I have it set up with a cheap programmable digital thermostat from eBay. Considering the truble with running the full blown heater in milder weather, its a good compromise. Especially with the high capacity Li batteries coming out.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I like the Propex HS 2211 under the van, but I should admit that it is quite noisy. Not that much noisy, but I believe there is furnace more quiet than this one.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I have a pump-gas powered Webasto, Single fuel set up, it sips so little gas I notice no difference in tank level.MPG when I am using the heater. Unquestionably the best upgrade I have done to the van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I can hear my Espar, but I actually sleep better hearing it making heat.
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

thanks for contributing, all.
I am curious how much gas exactly it really takes a day/week?

anyone have something to say about the flu vent thing?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I’m sure there are specs, but running the Espar for a 3 day weekend is not detectable on the vans gauge. Battery life is more of an issue than fuel consumption.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I have a propex and CDH and Suburban RV furnace in my/family campers.
if $$ were no object I'd travel to warmer places in the colder months Wink

but seriousness I'd go single fuel.

the propex should have a larger propane tank or dual tanks.

the CDH can have it's fuel tank in a variety of places the propane can't.
just takes a little ingenuity and imagination. but many CDH installs lack both. (well mostly the Bay side installs that I've seen)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Money no object, I would go with a name brand that uses the same fuel as your van. So I think that means either the Webasto or Espar.

The Espar allows under-van mounting; I'm not sure of the Webasto. (I have an Espar under my Bus.) That is a nice feature simply because it doesn't take up any space inside. I cut in a return hidden in the seat pedestal, and the heat enters the Bus through the old stock heat vents.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

^^^ x2...

Having said that, I'm running a CDH on kerosene & it basically sips fuel, but having
a big 16 gallon supply gas tank would be very easy to deal with. Just sayin... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Im running the CDH for three years now and zero issues. I had propex, it was great. Didnt like the way it cycled on and off all night however. But it heated great. Decided to ditch my under carriage propane tank as the only indoor cooking i do is coffee and maybe a light breakfast. Also mine is a syncro that sees its fair share of off-roading, it always made me nervous about bashing the tank. Not to mention its getting harder to find competent people to fill the stock tank. So i now use refillable 1# cylinders. My fridge is 12v so my propane needs are minimal. My cdh i run on kerosene and a tank (5.5liter) will easily last me a few days To a week in the very cold. And I can see my fuel level and fill it anywhere that sells diesel if needed. As mentioned battery power is the real concern, especially on startup and shut down. Otherwise when Running they are pretty low draw. I also like the fact it doesnt cycle on and off, so its like soft white noise all night which for me is great to sleep to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Just installed 150aH LiFePo4. I have a 2k CDH. Whatever you do - don't put diesel tank inside van. I'm working on building an aux diesel tank where my propane tank went. Like Candyman, I don't use my inside stove much and am using 1lb canisters now.

Oh, also Afterburner controller Cool
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Gasoline heater. Why add another tank for diesel when you already have 15+ gallons of fuel onboard?

I mounted my Eberspacher behind the passenger seat.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

You can mount the Webasto under the bus. I've done two that way. You need to fashion a splash shield to keep it dry but other than that it is not a big deal. Even the Webasto tech guys say it is OK to mount it that way.

Webasto spec sheet says it consumes 4 - 8 oz per hour of gasoline, depending on demand.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: