Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

My 74 SB has the current u-bolt clamps with the exhaust tips inserted into the flared ends of the muffler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, the new exhaust tips came with these clamps. I don't think they are correct...seems like they are more for a sealing type connection. Can I use these with my current muffler with the flared ends?

What is the "correct" way the exhaust tips should be mounted?

Thanks, Bill
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

The U bolts are wrong, those multi piece clamps use the taper on the muffler flare in conjunction with the tapered ring in the clamp to compress that woven wire packing. It's not just a clamp, it's a seal too.

Good luck getting the old tail pipes out, those U clamps crush the you know what out of the tube.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

The clamps you got are the right ones.

That u clamp has seen better days.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

I will say there is some chance you might break the muffler trying to get those tailpipes out.

To make things easier on the muffler, cut the old clamps off rather than trying to loosen the nuts. A cutting torch would be easiest but a cut-off wheel or hack saw will suffice.

Once you get the clamps off heat the muffler all around the tailpipe until it's cherry red then try turning the pipe with slip joint pliers. This will break the rust bond between the parts as well as reforming the muffler outlets round again where the clamps have crushed it.

At the end of the day don't be surprised if the muffler gets damaged beyond repair requiring replacement.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The U bolts are wrong, those multi piece clamps use the taper on the muffler flare in conjunction with the tapered ring in the clamp to compress that woven wire packing. It's not just a clamp, it's a seal too.

Good luck getting the old tail pipes out, those U clamps crush the you know what out of the tube.

Thanks guys! Do I slide the woven/steel part up to the muffler flared end with the new clamps (with the solid metal flare facing the exhaust tips)? Or does that metal flare on the clamp meet up with the flare on the muffler?

Yep, getting the old ones out will be a challenge...between corrosion and the u-clamp having crushed the tube.

Thanks, Bill
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
I will say there is some chance you might break the muffler trying to get those tailpipes out.

To make things easier on the muffler, cut the old clamps off rather than trying to loosen the nuts. A cutting torch would be easiest but a cut-off wheel or hack saw will suffice.

Once you get the clamps off heat the muffler all around the tailpipe until it's cherry red then try turning the pipe with slip joint pliers. This will break the rust bond between the parts as well as reforming the muffler outlets round again where the clamps have crushed it.

At the end of the day don't be surprised if the muffler gets damaged beyond repair requiring replacement.

Thanks! Sounds like a good technique. One of the u-bolts snapped already when I tried to loosen it. That one shouldn't be too bad. If I can't get the other one loose, I'll cut it off.

I'd say its a 50/50 chance the muffler will survive Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

ncpi wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thanks guys! Do I slide the woven/steel part up to the muffler flared end with the new clamps (with the solid metal flare facing the exhaust tips)? Or does that metal flare on the clamp meet up with the flare on the muffler?

Yep, getting the old ones out will be a challenge...between corrosion and the u-clamp having crushed the tube.

Thanks, Bill

The woven ring goes up against the taper on the muffler, the funny looking cone washer goes on after that and the 2 1/2's of the clamp pinch the whole mess together with their inner tapers.

I'd be inclined to saw the pipe off almost flush with the muffler and split it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade internally (try not to cut so deep you scar the inside of the muffler), then you can collapse it and pull out the remains. Those clamps may have distorted the muffler to a pint where the new pipes don't slide in though, you may have to restore the inner roundness by pounding in a tapered socket or something. Just make sure you have a plan for extracting it later, like a length of all thread through it that you can use as a slide hammer for example.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ncpi wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thanks, Bill

The woven ring goes up against the taper on the muffler, the funny looking cone washer goes on after that and the 2 1/2's of the clamp pinch the whole mess together with their inner tapers.

I'd be inclined to saw the pipe off almost flush with the muffler and split it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade internally (try not to cut so deep you scar the inside of the muffler), then you can collapse it and pull out the remains. Those clamps may have distorted the muffler to a pint where the new pipes don't slide in though, you may have to restore the inner roundness by pounding in a tapered socket or something. Just make sure you have a plan for extracting it later, like a length of all thread through it that you can use as a slide hammer for example.

I've had some like that, took a hammer to convince them to loosen up.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Exhaust Tip Clamp question Reply with quote

Thanks again guys for your very helpful responses.
...Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: