Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Troubleshooting generator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

Was working on the 71 Bus as it would not idle properly and would die when throttle was opened. The engine harness was hacked together and also rat bitten. So, I stripped it down and and rebuilt the engine harness.

The voltage regulator was a local old lucas style one and the voltage would vary from 10V to 16V when revved (measured between D+ and ground) - so it needed replacing. We had a new bosch electronic regulator so I also installed that. Also a new battery VW battery +ive harness. All wires were of correct gauge and crimped with OE style connectors.

After changing that and the spark plugs the engine fired right up and runs beautifully. But, the generator now does not charge.

Voltage measured between D+ and ground is now only 0.5-1.5V when revved. I also tested the no load voltage as described in Bentley -- disconnect wire from battery at the VR, connect negative of the multimeter to VR ground, and +ive to B+. Per Bentley it should read about 13.5V -14.5 at 2000rpm. I got nothing.

I'm a bit stumped now - dynamo was working before we changed the wiring. The new wiring is correct -- have triple checked it. And it's pretty simple.

While removing the leads from D and DF, the studs did turn around. Could it have broken inside? Should I check for continuity from D+ to D- (it just struck me as I was typing)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

I've had some generator issues myself recently....

Your output test confused me. The one I ran was:

1. Disconnect both wires at the generator and make sure they are well protected so they don't short out on anything.
2. Attach a wire from the DF terminal on the generator to ground.
3. Start the engine and measure the voltage at D+. As you rev the engine, it should increase quite a lot. Mine went to almost 50V.

Do not run this test longer than necessary to verify that the generator works.

If you get no output at all, I'd say it's quite possible one of the wires broke off from one of the studs when it twisted.

Check out this link for more info...
http://www.vw-resource.com/generator.html

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

Did you polarize your new regulator? I don't work on these often enough anymore to remember what to do without just getting out the manual and following their troubleshooting instructions step by step.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

Uh, regulators don't 'polarize' - only generators...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Uh, regulators don't 'polarize' - only generators...

so when the earth's magnetic field finishes its flop that is underway, will we all have to re-polarize our generators........... .
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

Nah, wouldn't worry about it - we'll all be dead from undeflected radiation as the earth's magnetic field goes through zero...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

i will wait the 10k years to figure that one out
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

You probably broke the wire off the post inside the housing but it can be soldered back usually without removing the generator.
I did this a few times when I was a young tech. We also were in the habit of
Taking the belt off and jumping d+ to run the generator/fan to cool the engine
Down faster in order to do the valve adjustment quicker.
The worst scenario would be pulling the generator and taking it in to a repair
Shop.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
You probably broke the wire off the post inside the housing but it can be soldered back usually without removing the generator.
I did this a few times when I was a young tech. We also were in the habit of
Taking the belt off and jumping d+ to run the generator/fan to cool the engine
Down faster in order to do the valve adjustment quicker.

The worst scenario would be pulling the generator and taking it in to a repair
Shop.

oooooh - nifty trick
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

I did try to polarize the dynamo. I was surprised when it turned very slowly when I connected the battery to d+ after grounding df. It did seem to slowly pick up speed but i had read not to do this for long so stopped.

Does the slow rotation during polarization give us a clue?

@old dkp driver - any how tos on soldering without removing?

Thx!
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

You should still be concerned that the connection may be broken under the
Housing.but glad to see the generator is working.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

I will also check the ground and see if it is a grounding related issue.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

you could look for a cheap core that is no good but cheap, and practice on it..
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I was surprised when it turned very slowly when I connected the battery to d+ after grounding df. It did seem to slowly pick up speed but i had read not to do this for long so stopped.

With the field (Df terminal) grounded, the generator will turn fairly slowly. This is because the back ElectroMotiveForce generated by the armature is proportional to the product of the armature speed and the strength of the magnetic field created by the field coils (which is proportional to the field current). If you reduce the field current, the armature will have to spin faster to create the same back EMF. Note: the back EMF is what counteracts the voltage applied to the armature, and thus what limits the armature current.

You can demonstrate this by either (1) adding resistance in series with the field coils, or (2) driving the field with a variable voltage power supply (positive connection to D+, negative to Df). As you reduce the field voltage/current, the generator will spin faster. If you were to reduce the field current to zero, the generator couldn't spin fast enough to generate the needed back EMF (so don't do this - bad idea!)

Note: this is all described in detail by basic DC motor theory.

Quote:

Not really - unless accompanied by a very high current draw, which could indicate a shorted armature winding.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

Would resistance measurements between D+ and D- (12ohms) and between D+ and DF (16ohms) tell me anything? What should the stock readings be? I guess I could check on my bug.

I checked the ground, was good.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Would resistance measurements between D+ and D- (12ohms) and between D+ and DF (16ohms) tell me anything? What should the stock readings be?

The armature reading (D+ to D-) is way too high - should be in the fractions of an ohm. Try rotating the generator shaft to get a different brush contact.

Don't know about the field resistance - will have to go measure one. Seems a bit high. Stand by...

Remember, measuring low resistances with a multimeter is problematic at best, as probe contact resistance can be high. To do it accurately, one needs to use a four-wire measurement method (two wires pass a known fixed current through the unknown resistance, and the other two measure the resulting voltage. The second two are high impedance, so probe resistance is no longer a factor.)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
bnam wrote:
I was surprised when it turned very slowly when I connected the battery to d+ after grounding df. It did seem to slowly pick up speed but i had read not to do this for long so stopped.

With the field (Df terminal) grounded, the generator will turn fairly slowly. This is because the back ElectroMotiveForce generated by the armature is proportional to the product of the armature speed and the strength of the magnetic field created by the field coils (which is proportional to the field current). If you reduce the field current, the armature will have to spin faster to create the same back EMF. Note: the back EMF is what counteracts the voltage applied to the armature, and thus what limits the armature current.

You can demonstrate this by either (1) adding resistance in series with the field coils, or (2) driving the field with a variable voltage power supply (positive connection to D+, negative to Df). As you reduce the field voltage/current, the generator will spin faster. If you were to reduce the field current to zero, the generator couldn't spin fast enough to generate the needed back EMF (so don't do this - bad idea!)

Note: this is all described in detail by basic DC motor theory.

Quote:

Not really - unless accompanied by a very high current draw, which could indicate a shorted armature winding.

Damn, he beat me to it. That’s just what I was gunna say
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

bnam,

I have the same issue with my rebuilt 6v generator.

The polarization test was passed successfully, but not more than 0,5v with my drill at 1600 rpm.

I have about 3ohms between Df and D+, armature and brushes are NOS but same value (0,5v at 1600 rpm) with the original armature.

I am desapointed, everything is new or rebuilt.

Last edited by cab57 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

Connect a battery (or battery charger) between D+ (positive) and Df (negative) [should pull around 4 amps.] Spin the generator again and measure the voltage between D+ and the case.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting generator Reply with quote

cab57 wrote:
bnam,

I have the same issue with my rebuilt generator.

The polarization test was passed successfully, but not more than 0,5v with my drill at 2000rpm.

I have 3ohms between Df and D+, armature and brushes are NOS but same value (0,5v at 2000rpm) with the original armature.

I am desapointed, everything is new or rebuilt.

Can you also check between D+ and D-? It should be low, but mine reads high.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: