Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

I'm listing a car to sell. Starting to read about the scams Everett has posted.

What is the most common way to sell so both parties are protected?

Thank you
-Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

#1 Cash in hand.

#2 Personal check or bank cashiers check.Cash it at their bank then release vehicle.

#3 Electronic bank transfer

#4 Escrow service
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

I forgot that my brother-in-law buys and sells call all the time (12 already this year) and I just called him.

He said 1) Cash, 2) Bank Wire Transfer (his preferred method).

Thanks
-Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I forgot that my brother-in-law buys and sells call all the time (12 already this year) and I just called him.

He said 1) Cash, 2) Bank Wire Transfer (his preferred method).

Thanks
-Mark

This is my opinion and current recommendation too.

As a seller: Wire transfer over any sort of "bank check".

Wire transfer is the seller being protected.
The buyer is SOL once it gets sent.

If you are a buyer, make sure you have gotten all the information you need and some detailed photos of a car you are buying.
This means asking for specific photos that are NOT in the ad here and talking with the seller on the phone.
If you wire money to a scammer - In almost all cases you will lose it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

This is my opinion and current recommendation too.

As a seller: Wire transfer over any sort of "bank check".

Wire transfer is the seller being protected.
The buyer is SOL once it gets sent.

If you are a buyer, make sure you have gotten all the information you need and some detailed photos of a car you are buying.
This means asking for specific photos that are NOT in the ad here and talking with the seller on the phone.

If you wire money to a scammer - In almost all cases you will lose it.

This^^^^^
When I bought my 67 sight unseen from the samba classifieds.
I spent many hours over days talking with the seller. He was very forth coming with all my questions.

When it finally came time to make the deal. I asked for a specific "proof of life" photo. Left index finger pointing to the steering column clamp. That was via email. The pic came via a text message. In under 5 minutes. The seller wasn't offended by the request.
We then worked out the wire transfer details.

If is sounds like I was being a pain in the ass. The seller initiated some of the phone calls of his own accord.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

I always wondered how the buyer is protected. But in my time here on the samba i have never had an issue with anyone and i've bought many things.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

I wont buy anything sight unseen that I am not prepared to lose either the money outright or not get what I thought I was getting.

If it doesnt fit this criteria, then I do it in person.

It is so cheap to move around in the US, there is no excuse to not travel for a major purchase.

If Im selling Ill accomodate one round of photo requests, after that, its "Meet with me with my ask in cash"

I am happy to wangle, but if you dont have my ask in cash, dont come.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

It is so cheap to move around in the US, there is no excuse to not travel for a major purchase.

you must be retired
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Common/Safest ways to sell a vehicle on the Samba Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I always wondered how the buyer is protected. But in my time here on the samba i have never had an issue with anyone and i've bought many things.

For parts - Paypal and don't pay with "Friends" so you can challenge it.

Cars - It's risky but apart from actual scams, I don't know if I've ever heard of someone not getting a car or their money returned.
Deposits lost? Yes
Car not as represented? This is the bigger issue. I'm sure there are tons of people who were unhappy with the condition of something they bought sight unseen. Usually rust or unknown damage.
Most of my cars I bought in person and I still found unexpected issues later.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: