Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

specs are,

-1964 40 hp type 1 case, 1st over line bore, lifter bores like new. very very low miles engine. everything else checks out.
-40hp 64mm crankshaft
-NOS ISS 40 hp rods
-NOS Brazilian 83mm pistons and cylinders. forget the brand. waiting on usps.
-NOS Metal Leve mains. we will see how they measure up.
-new Mahle rods
-Silverline cam bearings, double thrust.
-Stock genuine lifters
-Stock genuine cam and gear
-Super 1500 oil pump and cover. pump body is within spec but just for insurance i should buy a new pump. just not sure what size gears i should buy and what brand.
-Stock 6v flywheel and bus pressure plate.
-Rods and pistons balanced
-early 1500 heads with the boss repair. CB guides. NOS Brazilian valves. Gotta send the heads out and have the seats cut. German 35x32 valves. Hand ported, unshrouded, flycut, etc.
-Stock pressure german springs, stock retainers, keepers.
-1600 aluminum push rods, 1.1 rockers, solid shafts.
-Factory muffler and heater boxes. will do some clean up on them tho. will post pictures on what i mean by that.
-aiming for 8:1 to 8.5:1 static cr.
-Full flow.
-Stock 65 40hp dizzy. already forget the model number.
-28pict carb. home made 22.5mm venturi. Will be switching to EFI later possibly.

Engine should be going into a manx clone. if not then i will mist likely sell it. Meant to just be a reliable runner with a tad bit more pep. Like a 40hp has any to begin with anyhow.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"

Last edited by Chickensoup on Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

you might be surprised... the type34 with that motor (but small dual carbs) did 90mph stock because of the aerodynamics
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
basically, its a 45 PS bus/Variant N engine. 69x83mm. mild build. almost ready for assembly. just gotta send out the crank to be turned and finish cleaning up the parts.

specs are,

-1964 40 hp type 1 case, 1st over line bore, lifter bores like new. very very low miles engine. everything else checks out.
-40hp style 69mm crankshaft
-NOS ISS 40 hp rods
-NOS Brazilian pistons and cylinders. forget the brand. waiting on usps.
-NOS Metal Leve mains. we will see how they measure up.
-new Mahle rods
-Silverline cam bearings, double thrust.
-Stock genuine lifters
-Stock genuine cam and gear
-Super 1500 oil pump and cover. pump body is within spec but just for insurance i should buy a new pump. just not sure what size gears i should buy and what brand.
-Stock 6v flywheel and bus pressure plate.
-Rods and pistons balanced
-early 1500 heads with the boss repair. CB guides. NOS Brazilian valves. Gotta send the heads out and have the seats cut. German 35x32 valves. Hand ported, unshrouded, flycut, etc.
-Stock pressure german springs, stock retainers, keepers.
-1600 aluminum push rods, 1.1 rockers, solid shafts.
-Factory muffler and heater boxes. will do some clean up on them tho. will post pictures on what i mean by that.
-aiming for 8:1 to 8.5:1 static cr.
-Full flow.
-Stock 65 40hp dizzy. already forget the model number.
-28pict carb. home made 22.5mm venturi. Will be switching to EFI later possibly.

Engine should be going into a manx clone. if not then i will mist likely sell it. Meant to just be a reliable runner with a tad bit more pep. Like a 40hp has any to begin with anyhow.
........................................................................................................................................................................................................... no motor build is boring. i think its great build . any one who builds there dream motor . is building it for them selfs. and it does not matter what others think . as long as it meets your needs. good luck spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matheus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Nice build.. This buggy will be fun to drive!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Take care on the details, get the compression to ~8 or so, tight deck, and balance all in line and you'll be surprised what a nice 40 or 50 horse can do. I had dual 30pict-1 carbs on homemade manifolds on one a few years ago, and unless you told someone it was a 40 horse you couldn't really tell in regular driving around town. Peppy little engine, good on fuel economy too. Perfect fit for a light buggy or street baja. You'll be a 1500 but should be close.

I'll be keeping an eye on your build Smile

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

yeah, this was a factory rebuild engine. they had the deck set to almost 0. no joke. i could measure because one cylinder was rusted at the top. but they just had a copper crush spacer on the top of the cylinder and it was actually overlapping the cylinder ID Shocked Selling all my cars but my 65 beetle project and my TDI to make space for this manx. neighbor has it under his back porch.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Save yourself and throw the Silverline double thrust cam bearings in the trash. Malhe double thrust fit 100 times better.

1600 pushrods are going to be too long.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Save yourself and throw the Silverline double thrust cam bearings in the trash. Malhe double thrust fit 100 times better.

1600 pushrods are going to be too long.

Ok. I've heard about that as well. What about mahle or KB cam shells?

Yeah. I figured they would be too long as well. Between flycutting and the early style round boss heads. Before I order a set I will measure them anyhow. But I will probably end up just shortening a 1600 set.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

The Mahle set I got (after specifically ordering Mahle from 3 different vendors and getting Silverline as a FREE UPGRADE Rolling Eyes ) fit perfectly. And just holding them, you could tell they were much better quality than the Silverline.

The Silverline mains were very good however.

I can't speak to the KB.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Mahle it is Smile

And shit... just did some measuring. The crank is 64mm not 69mm lol. Soooooo. Now you guys are watching an even more boring 138whatever cc build. Eh, just means I can buy a crank instead if having it turned which is nice.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Will your 83 mm big-bore 40 hp cylinders fit into the early 1500 heads? That is, won't the cylinders be a bit too small for the head bores? Normally the BB 40's fit properly into 1300 single-port heads. The OD of the BB40 cylinder tops and of the 1300's 77 mm cylinders are the same and are each a few mm smaller than the bore for the 1500 cylinders. Do you already have those early 1500 heads?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

No, what I have is 40hpA heads. Just confirmed that. But i bought a set of early 1500 heads. I think they will fit right? I just put the cylinder into a late 1500/1600sp head and it's way smaller. I thought the early 1500 heads had the same cylinder register as 40hp. Maybe your getting confused with 67-69 1500 heads? Or maybe I'm confused lol.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

You could use a 69mm crankshaft in 40 hp case. Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
You could use a 69mm crankshaft in 40 hp case. Very Happy

and then have to narrow my rods. and shim the heck out of the cylinders. but, it is an option. that would also allow me to use my cast 12v lightened flywheel.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
No, what I have is 40hpA heads. Just confirmed that. But i bought a set of early 1500 heads. I think they will fit right? I just put the cylinder into a late 1500/1600sp head and it's way smaller. I thought the early 1500 heads had the same cylinder register as 40hp. Maybe your getting confused with 67-69 1500 heads? Or maybe I'm confused lol.
I've never had an early 1500 SP head in my hands. I'll be interested to hear of your fitment tests of the BB40 cylinders into those early 1500 heads. From your cylinder check into later 1500 heads it does sound like the early 1500's (40 hp A) have smaller cylinder bores than for later 1500's.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 40hp 1500cc Reply with quote

Here is the exhaust side of the header. Note the step AND gap about quarter of an inch after the flange. Note good. i will weld up the gap and grind and blend the step.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crankshaft closest to me is a late 69mm crank. used a "straight" edge but we all know these aluminum push rods are never really straight Smile i tried using my dial indicator but it doesnt have enough stroke/throw for 64-69mm.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

cant find any factory 83mm big bore cylinders so i think im just gonna buy a new AA cylinder set or turn down and shorten some later 1500 83mm cylinders.

For anyone who hasent seen what detonation looks like. this is a later 1500 head, not related to this build. but i had it out already.

the bad head(corrosion)

the good 40hp head. round boss, but w/ the repair kit.

Tins, carb, accessories, etc.

Too bad this thing sucked in a few chips from the brass drive gear b/c the rest of the engine is beautiful. the cylinder still look brand new if it wasnt for the pitting.

started cleaning the case halfs

torqued down and measured w/ my not very accurate telescoping gauge (gotta buy a dial bore gauge very soon), and this case is so low mileage its not even funny.

heres the "junk pile" of stuff i refuse to re use. in there is a head, all the cylinders and pkstons, oil cooler, rockers, stuff like that. the push rods will likely be going in there as well.

transaxle almost put back together. just gotta order axle bearings and a few clutch pieces. and then finish prepping backing plates, other ale tube, stuff like that for paint.

Beam almost done as well.

plans changed a tad. Im gonna not use the 1500 heads i bought and buy a set of 1300 heads, and rebuild and port them. i already have an intake manifold for it too. If it needs modding i will shorten or widen it. that or i will weld up or 3d print my own manifolds and just go efi.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

just for the hell of it im gonna run a bugspray 2100. just 1. ive got a 1300cc manifold that i will use to chop up and modify for the carb and heat risers.
hmmm. now what about a blower Very Happy Shocked
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
just for the hell of it im gonna run a bugspray

Oh it will be hellish alright if it runs anything like the one I had on my 1600 DP!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Don't do it! Bugsprays suck on smaller engines! Grab a single barrel autolite or something at least!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: