Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

I like slide hammer for gally plugs.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

the vwnos order is on its way at usps lightning speed... jk usps is slower than the life alert actors at this point in time. also added in a few items, and bought a few parts off the eboy. next up will be the cb order followed by WW. im dropping off the crank and flywheel here soon to a local shop, and the rods wll hopefully be sent out 2marrow if i get the chance(sorry modok Embarassed )

until then its more washy washy and measure measure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Parts started showing up today. I've got all the pieces to rebuild the dizzy. It would be awesome if someone could please point me in the right direction to finding a distributor diagram. I have two fiber washes and a few steel ones but I'm not sure where they are supposed to be placed. Thanks

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Found it Wink

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

That is for the "big cap" distributors. The 205m is a bit different I think. I'll see if I can find the diagram.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Here, check this thread. It's the 205T, but it has the same stack as the 205M.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606129
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Here, check this thread. It's the 205T, but it has the same stack as the 205M.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606129

awesome! thanks a ton!

the bottom(short) dizzy bushing i bought, seems to be bottoming out with a tad bit sticking out the bottom of the housing. should it be flush? thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Probably flush. Will the shims sit down over the part of the bushing that's proud?

You could trim it down pretty easy in your lathe no?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Diagram part #21 was also used on Land Rovers.

Confused Rolling Eyes
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Diagram part #21 was also used on Land Rovers.

Confused Rolling Eyes

Shocked does that make our cars unreliable oil leaking lemons? Smile

I fixed the bushing issue. Well, one of them. I ended up using the old bushing as a pilot and it tapped in pretty easily. The new bushing was also a bit small on the ID so I ended up polishing the shaft. So that's good now. The rest was just assembly and cleaning.

The color even ma th chest the cap! Dang I got lucky.

Sleeping in storage for now.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

crank and flywheel will be dropped off at the machine shop here soon. i asked a friend who he recommends here locally.

btw does anyone make 6mm stud hole filter pumps? can i use an 8mm OD x 2mm thick bushing and just use a new filter pump? oh, and will the maxi pump clear the stock muffler? thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

btw does anyone make 6mm stud hole filter pumps? can i use an 8mm OD x 2mm thick bushing and just use a new filter pump? oh, and will the maxi pump clear the stock muffler? thanks

Yep. CB... but it isnt a maxipump... shadek used to as well...

and whilst anything is possible with enough machining.... nope.. the holes aren't centred so a straight bushing wont work... you could sort it... some how...

but the cb pump is far quicker n easier....

Good luck!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Do you have bearings for that crank? You need ones with the oil groove on the inside.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Do you have bearings for that crank? You need ones with the oil groove on the inside.

No not yet. I ordered some but they were out of stock apparently. Mains with grooves in the ID are hard to find and $$. So I may just buy normal plain bearings, have them cut, then coat them. Either that ornfind someone who can cross drill my crankshaft.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

No not yet. I ordered some but they were out of stock apparently. Mains with grooves in the ID are hard to find and $$. So I may just buy normal plain bearings, have them cut, then coat them. Either that ornfind someone who can cross drill my crankshaft.

Yeah the inside groove bearings are tough to find.. I've been looking for a set for awhile. I wish someone would make them again.

But your plan of cutting a normal set will work. Just sucks the ID groove bearings are NLA.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Hole enlargement procedure, length set at 130mm, bored to .940

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy those look familiar. what kind of fit are the bushings? press? neat way of mounting the big end too. also is that the indian boring head you modified for lathe tools? im thinking about doing the same. i have a "junk" facing/boring head with an mt2 press fit shank(useless to me), i want to practice on to run the smaller lathe tools. thanks!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Yep, there is a washer turned to 2.275" bolted on that block to locate the big ends so they al turn out the same length.
Milling machine head is trammed to the block so the come out straight.

Now honed to about .9443"
For .004 press on the bushings.

Not the exact same boring head, but it is the same kind.
Does a nice job I had left .004 to hone out, but I could have left .001 to hone and that would have been fine.

You'd freak if you saw how easily the old bushings came out.
Decided to "TRY".....if using drill press as an arbor press is enough to push them out, and it was Shocked maybe 500-600 lbs force?
The OE bushings were just bronze, not steel backed like the new ones, but even so I was expecting a LITTLe more resistance.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

People have said the new main bearings that have the groove on the outside ARE TOO THIN to add a groove in the center. I thought about adding two small grooves about 8mm apart and parallel to center connected by the "crater" where the oil transfer hole is... but my crank is grooved so I didnt bother.

I dont think the coating will do much that's just me, just knock off any burrs/wet sand with 1500+ after grinding the grooves.

I added some small grooves to my cam bearings the other day. Why not? I used a tiny round burr bit
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

ok, so i made some progress 2day. i may have a few questions at the end of my post so bear with me. or bare with me? idk. from here on out, i will try to make the updates more easy to follow with bold wording and headings and such.

Lifters/cam followers

i started off my measuring the taper of the lifter faces. i meassured the old, which are actually concave! and the new, in which all 8 are exactly .001" in the center.

ok well somehow the picture of the old lifters didnt make it in so i will edit it in tomorrow although its not that important really.

Camshaft-the old one

ok ok i know the dial is facing the wrong way but i didnt realize it until i finished set up Smile
Heres the cam that came out of engine. just a stock brazilian cam. between my dial indicator and the cam not being mounted in the lathe chuck well enough(even with the tail stock support), i was not able to get a very consistent reading. the indicator would jump or drop randomly, and even touching the cam while it was secured threw measurements off a few thousandth.

crankshaft

when i bought my micrometer set, they sold me the zeroing tool defective. the stupid ends are machined offset so the spacer never sits straight and makes it 10x hard to find the parallel spots. wait oh crap i just realized pitburgh tools have life time warranties! anyways its a good thing i checked because my 3in micrometer was slightly off again.

#1 main AVG 2.1466", Runout .0005in
#2 main AVG 2.1467", Runout .0004in
#3 main AVG 2.1463", Runout .0008in
#4 main AVG 1.5557", Runout .0003in

as for the rod journals i ran out of time to measure them.

crankshaft straightness is at .0001 Very Happy nearly dead straight!!

before i meassure the case. thrust, align bore, bearing chrush, etc. i need to make a small order. figured i may as well buy the rest of the parts for the bottom end.

ok, here come the questions,

how does a cb 2280/cheater cam sound? with the 1300 heads, stock exhaust, dual 32 pdits, slight port work.

how do i explain to my local machine shop that vw flywheels need to be re surfaced in two areas? i ask because im wondering if the machinist actually keeps track of how much material he takes off the clutch surface, so he can remove the same from the pressure plate surface.

lastly, why did vw use plain bearings with a non cross drilled crank? and is it possible to machine the journals for cross drilled oil passages?

Thanks!

oh and btw acn recommends "hd springs" for the cheater cam. why is this? lift isnt too much more than stock. and the ramps look gentle.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: