Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Looks good!
I don't know what the 12mm hole is for. It does not have to be pipe thread, it could be any kind of fitting you want I suppose.

I was planning on using NPT sense thats how its usually done however im open minded. I know the race car and LS guys like to use a certain kind of fitting but i forget the name of it. its not the quick disconnect. they are the aluminum fittings with a "special" thread style.

On the case side on this late 40hp, with the galley plug pulled, the bore is 12mm, so i was thinking i would just keep it the same on the oil pump plate side as well. not sure if thats a good or bad thing Smile I plan on tapping the hole obviously after its machined(hand tap it).

edit- what do you think about JIC fittings?

I replaced the fuel system on my dads 1953 5 ton military truck and i remember reading that those fittings can take thousands of psi.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

hadn't decided yet Wink
RIght, most use a type of hydraulic flare fitting with 37degree seat angle,
called AN fitting (army/navy), also called JIS (Japan industry standard)
I don't care for the aluminum ones, but they also come in steel, stainless or bronze.

27/64 drill for 1/4 pipe

9/16 drill for 3/8 pipe
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

"SAE flare" aka "JIS-45" is almost identical, except they use 45 degree seat angle.

For some reason my local hardware store does sell SAE flare fittings, but not AN/JIS.....
Good selection of hardware, but somehow all of it is useless for any real purpose.
Fantastically outdated selection, but maybe so are the customers.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

ok so now that im done with my 1600 for the most part, i can get back to this. im going to have 3 built engines when im done with all this. but only 1 car Laughing maybe shove one in the trunk as a spare. or find an early notchback to shove one in? Laughing

i found an older CB fuel efficient series turbo cam. i need to email cb and see if they have full specs for me. but its basically a cheater cam from what i can tell with more lift. this one has the lobes chamfered too.

it looks like the carbs i have for this engine are '65 model 32 pdsit's. which means two things. A. they are the same year as my car which is coolio. B. they are jetted for a 1600 which may be helpful.

Heres thr question of the day... how big does my lathe need to be in order to turn down and resurface a 6v flywheel? mine is a South Bend 13 in. with the "flame" hardened ways but not that its relevant.

also, what should i be thinking about for jigs?

as always, thanks!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

does it have the removable chunk of ways? probably does.the flywheel should fit fine. just be sure it is centered up perfectly to keep the balance from going all to hell...I did one many moons ago on a old Continental I think,it was whored out real bad.I couldent get it to center up for shit. but I had a balancer 8 feet away, so I wacked it then balanced it. then put it on balanced crank to fine tune it...thats when I found those big nut big washers that fit like shit throw out the balance quite a bit.so i started using a rubber oring to center the washer on the nuts and all is good and repeatable.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Reminds me of a 1385 I put together a few years back.
I forget what cam I put in, but I had the case full-flowed and machined for cam bearings. The pump cover is a very old Gene Berg cast-iron piece.
Good surprisingly perky motor but always worried about OP what w/ the skinny 40-horse galleries and single relief valve.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
does it have the removable chunk of ways? probably does.the flywheel should fit fine. just be sure it is centered up perfectly to keep the balance from going all to hell...I did one many moons ago on a old Continental I think,it was whored out real bad.I couldent get it to center up for shit. but I had a balancer 8 feet away, so I wacked it then balanced it. then put it on balanced crank to fine tune it...thats when I found those big nut big washers that fit like shit throw out the balance quite a bit.so i started using a rubber oring to center the washer on the nuts and all is good and repeatable.

This one has solid ways. So no removing this one that i know of. Shit just seems edgy, I dont really feel like being struck in the face by a 20lbs flywheel spinning at 340 rpm or more. Or worse have it fly off and destroy the ways, chuck, cross slide, dry wall, etc. Things usually fall straight down from experience on the lathe parting things but they were all small in diameter.

I was thinking about cutting the butt end of a crankshaft off, bolting it to the flywheel, and then use the live end.

The biggest issue is, the lathes gotta 3 way chuck. not sure how centered i can get something that large and heavy.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

ugghhh this is taking too long lol.

been trying to scrape up money but finding a summer job is absolutely insane. even chick filla isnt hiring. so ive trying to get the mill ready so i can make vdub parts for our cheap ass community lol.

anyways i was thinking. you know how CSP makes those tail pipes for stock mufflers, with a larger ID? what would stop me from just cutting up some round tubing and using that without the baffles? would it help the flow?

also, the ISP rods, that Modok did a beautiful job rebushing with the wider 22re wirst pin bushings, and that i added piston squirter knotches to. i think i want to take one last step further, and lighten them up some.

but idk where the remove the material. or how many grams worth of the material i should remove. and then when im done, i will total and end to end balance them.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

i forgot to post a pic but a few weeks ago some more parts came in. 26mm gear 6mm stud oil pump, 40hp seal kit, magnetic drian plug, stuff like that.

ive also nearly gotten the induma CNC'd. i removed all the power feed, stoned the bed, designed the brackets and gears. i will post up on it in my other thread here soon.

i wasnt happy with my full flow cover design so i took in some feedback from modok and changed alot of it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i centered the outlet hole, extended that entire section to help prevent the bulge, made the base a little thicker, lowered and redisigned the area around the passaged way. i still need to fix the passage way. instead of a 90 degree, i want to bevel the gear side some more and change the entrence angle or lay it back.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Nice cover, reminds me of the one I picked up a couple years ago from Sewell Speed Shop-

Had to get a hold of them on Facebook and order directly as they don't have much web presence but it's very stout and heavy.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

thanks!

i continued work on the cover today, but had to basically start over once i found this...

yeah... thats not enough room lol. the good news is that the new version im working on is a bit beafier and looks better. i dont have pictures but heres some pictures of the model when i thought i had finished.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

all done. i went back to a 1/4in npt tap size. sense the 40hp oil galleys are only 6-8mm large.

im trying to modify an existing 1600 oil pump in SC instead of starting from scratch(the spur gear teeth pitch calculations are soooo hard to measure on this profile). Problem is the file is an .OBJ meaning it looks like this when imported...

So im having to do LOTS of repair work. although, i could never make gears like these from scratch with my machines so i could just not even bother with them.

ahhh. much better. 30 degree entry angle

ive been busy lately so progress is slow. Right now im visiting family. but it should all pick up again here soon.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Well i havent gotten to do any real work being i havent been home, so i finished up the intakes. Total volume is aprox .841 cubic inches. Im looking into casting these from aluminum but not sure how im going to make the mold yet. still doing my research.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

I think the best way to cast that in aluminum is to 3D print one and then bring the printed intake to a local foundry to have it sand casted. I bet you could find a shop locally that is willing to help you out.

I spend a year working on a boat yard in Washington and ended up meeting this guy who owned a foundry. I spent a couple days hanging out and helping with stuff, in exchange the guy taught me how to sand cast and I even made a few little things for myself.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking but how exact is sand casting? Obviously I'd be machining the flanges and all but what about dimensions wise?

What other materials are easy to cast that are also good conductors?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

I've always wanted to have a set of bronze cylinder heads.
It would work nicely......... but the cost of the material. Shocked
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Looking down on the carb mounting flange here which is at the top of your image, the material outboard of the carb mounting holes is very thin/narrow. I'd be concerned that tightening the nut and washer from underneath could break the manifold material. Or when installing them on the engine with the carb installed, by pushing down and twisting on the carb to fully seat the manifold on the head.

For comparison, look at the amount of material on these single-port manifolds- L to R: stock Type 3 PDSIT (steel), Dell'Orto 34 FRD (aluminum), and Kadron (steel). The PDSITs appear to have only approx. 1/8" to 3/16" distance/width from the carb stud hole outwards from the narrowest section to the edge of the flange, but they are steel so the flange will remain strong after tightening the carb stud's fasteners. The FRDs have a distance that appears to only slightly less than the 8 mm diameter of the fastening studs, which would be a good reference for the width of your flange material there.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Oh shoot your right. I had fixed this on my other model but had to restart after I "tried to get too fancy", and spaceclaim wouldnt let me reverse the issue. Is there any chance you could get out the calipers and meassure the distance from the outer edge of the hole to the long end of the flange mr Rome(looking for close to exact). I would do it myself but I wont be home for a while.

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

hell nowdays intakes are made from plastic, just print them and be done. Shocked or print the mold for the pouring . there is a guy on the old spees stuff that is in ga that was making 36 hp valve covers, extreamly nice. I fer get his name.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Yep, that same foundry did a lot of bronze work.

There is an art to quality sand casting... type of sand mix, placement of runner and riser, amount of and placement of vents, skill of mold maker, etc. But yes a good sand casting will be very nice and accurate. You might have to experiment with it a bit, but an experienced tradesman could take one look at the part at hand and immediately know the best way to make the mold, or atleast get very close the first time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: