Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Greetings all- a few months back I had asked for input on air shocks vs gas/oil shocks. After a complete teardown and rebuild of my kit car on a 62 Bug frame, I had installed a brand new set of Gabriel Hi Jackers. Once back together, after a quick test drive it was squatting really bad on the left side. I thought maybe it was my fat ass (225 lb) that weighed it down, but when I hopped out I assumed it would recover.

That prompted my question about everyone's shock preference. After a four month hiatus out of the country, I just switched out to some KYB Gas A Justs. It seemed to be sitting a bit higher and level after the switch, but after a short ride, it squatted back down on the left and stays down after I hop out.

A couple guys weighed in and said to reindex the rear end. That's all well and good and SEEMS like not too bad of a job. (Of course I'll have to pull the body off my car to do so!!) My question(s) to the group is why would it be sitting up nice, high, and even before a ride, but come back squatting only on the left after a short ride? Would this be an indication of a broken torsion bar on one side? Or could it be worn bushings? Just wondering what parts to order before I start my project.

As always, your guidance is very much appreciated!! -Mark
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Why do you have to pull off the body to do re-index the spring plates?
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

toxicavenger70- It's a kit car on a bug frame. Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

here's a pic from behind. It's strange to me that the right side isn't squatting and staying there. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on whether the bushings alone would cause this or a broken torsion bar...
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

ladon67 wrote:
... why would it be sitting up nice, high, and even before a ride, but come back squatting only on the left after a short ride? ...

It could be something as simple as torsion bushings needing a fresh talcum lube; but with your kit body, maybe not all that simple to get at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Yeah, that would definitely be a case where I’d actually suggest stuffing some of those shitty EMPI coil over shocks under it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

ladon67 wrote:
... why would it be sitting up nice, high, and even before a ride, but come back squatting only on the left after a short ride? ...

because your shocks are old and worn maybe?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Shocks should not effect ride height, it's the springs that hold a car up.
If you have any doubts simply remove the Shocks temporarily and see if it makes any difference.

Being lighter than a stock Beetle did you have to reindex the bars when you had the body off?
If you have them set weaker than stock preload maybe something like the axle tube pivot at the trans end or as suggested the bushings are causing excess binding or friction not allowing it to come back up.

You say it stays low after you get out, so how does it get back up? By you bouncing on the rear or all by itself?

Hard to imagine a broken torsion bar, that would cause sagging all the time with no jounce or rebound at all.
Weak torsion bar maybe, did you happen to accidently swap them side to side when you had it apart? Once they have broken in on one side changing right to left might cause strange issues.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

ladon67 wrote:

That is a cool ride!

If it was me I would get some new torsion bar bushing and change them out. I bet they are keeping the arms from resetting.
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
ladon67 wrote:

because your shocks are old and worn maybe?

Guess you didn't read the original post. I just rebuilt the whole car and had a brand new pair of Gabriel Hijackers on then switched to a brand new pair of KYB Gas A Justs...
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
ladon67 wrote:

That is a cool ride!

If it was me I would get some new torsion bar bushing and change them out. I bet they are keeping the arms from resetting.

Thanks, toxic- I ordered a set and will begin pulling it back apart tomorrow. I think raising the back of the body won't be as bad as I thought. We shall see...
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Shocks should not effect ride height, it's the springs that hold a car up.
If you have any doubts simply remove the Shocks temporarily and see if it makes any difference.

Being lighter than a stock Beetle did you have to reindex the bars when you had the body off?
If you have them set weaker than stock preload maybe something like the axle tube pivot at the trans end or as suggested the bushings are causing excess binding or friction not allowing it to come back up.

You say it stays low after you get out, so how does it get back up? By you bouncing on the rear or all by itself?

Hard to imagine a broken torsion bar, that would cause sagging all the time with no jounce or rebound at all.
Weak torsion bar maybe, did you happen to accidently swap them side to side when you had it apart? Once they have broken in on one side changing right to left might cause strange issues.

61- I didn't pull the torsion caps off at all. Kinda new to the Bug game, so I didn't know how that even worked. I wish I'd done a bit of research while I had it apart!! It had a pair of blown out air shocks on it before and it worked fine, so i assumed putting on a new pair would just be gravy. Weird that it's doing what it's doing!! And to answer your question- it DOESN'T get back up. Just stays low. Sad
SirTimTIm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Is there any chance that the body itself is moving and not the suspension?
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

SirTimTIm wrote:
Is there any chance that the body itself is moving and not the suspension?

SirTimTim- how so? It's a fiberglass body bolted straight to the steel framework. We gusseted it while apart too, so I think it's pretty solid. -Mark
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

When someone built it originally, they adjusted the rear torsion bars incorrectly & then installed the air shocks to compensate.

Re-indexing the rear bars will be a PITA because the fiberglass body is much lighter so stock spring plate angles will cause the rear to be too high. You’re going to be doing a lot of trial & error type of tear down & reassembly to get it right, especially since you cannot tell exactly where it sits until both sides have been adjusted & the car is rolled out.

Good luck & don’t reassemble the body until you get the spring height finally dialed in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

This is a great example where adjustable spring plates would work well, lets you make fine adjustments without re-indexing...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Just jacked it up and got it on stands. Seems like the left side IS stuck. I think someone mentioned that could be happening. Will see what happens when I pull it apart!!
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Ok, so pulled it apart and the bushings seem to be ok. They weren't frozen on the shaft or anything. When I tapped the spring plate off, it didn't seem to have any tension on it- just slipped off, but when I disconnected the axle from the plate it had some tension on it.

Someone mentioned a fresh talcum lube. The Jbugs video didn't show any powder being put on during reassembly...is that something I'll want to do? Gold Bond good?? Thanks in advance for any input!!! -Mark
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

ladon67 wrote:
Ok, so pulled it apart and the bushings seem to be ok. They weren't frozen on the shaft or anything. When I tapped the spring plate off, it didn't seem to have any tension on it- just slipped off, but when I disconnected the axle from the plate it had some tension on it.

Someone mentioned a fresh talcum lube. The Jbugs video didn't show any powder being put on during reassembly...is that something I'll want to do? Gold Bond good?? Thanks in advance for any input!!! -Mark

NAPA sells pure talc powder. I don't know if Gold Bond contains talc.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reindexing/suspension troubleshooting Reply with quote

Your drivers side torsion bar may be worn out...it happens especially on the drivers side where there is always more weight.

I’d replace both torsion bars and install new bushings. Index one outer spline down and should be perfect.

There is a tool for compressing the torsion bar/spring plate that makes this job easy/safe. Adjustable spring plates are nice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: