Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door panel
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kjlavoie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Door panel Reply with quote

My 85 vanagon siding door panel needs to be replaced. Anyone know where I can get a new one? The cover is also damaged so I'll need a full replacement. I have found the wood part but not with the cover. Thanks!
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Just replaced mine with a high quality replica from GoWesty only to find out my window seal on the slider is leaking when it rains (thought the PO was just lazy and left the door open in the rain)

Wasn’t cheap, but after installation (and before the next full night of rain) it looked amazing. Also gave me a chance to lube mechanicals and add sound proofing to the door. Insulation was in good shape, so just put that back in.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Make your own. Cheap and doesn't take very much time. JoAnne Fabrics has some nice leather look vinyl which is extremely close to the OG colors. There are topics on this here.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Go to your local big box home improvement store and buy a sheet of MDF. Use your existing panels as templates to cut the new ones. Cover with fabric, vinyl, etc. We opted for MDF bead board and painted them with latex paint from Sherwin-Williams that we had colored-matched to our cabinets.
Mi3ke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Panel Reupping Reply with quote

Hello, first time poster here. '85 Vanagon. My sliding door panel is being replaced. Are there any "how to" on installing the panel out there. And any recommendations on the type of adhesive to use between the fabric and the raw pressboard? I have just enough clips to screw just one of them up.

Thanks in advance, Mi3ke
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Werksburg is the original in ABS. The other sites stole his idea. Werksberg is in the classifieds
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1395379
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mi3ke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Thanks TopBud. I already have my panel. I am looking for insight into how to best put fabric onto the pressboard (glue) and any instructions on actually installing it onto the door itself. One extra clip to screw up on.

Cheers, Mi3ke
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

JoAnne vinyl "leather", pimp-my-ride chrome strips from FLAPS. Use 3m 90 spray adhesive. it will not come off in hot weather. Wrap over the back edge for 2"
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

I looked at this video when doing mine. I opted to stay with the ABS. Good luck. Post pictures when you are completed.
https://ourkaravan.com/upholstered-wall-panels/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
Werksburg is the original in ABS. The other sites stole his idea. Werksberg is in the classifieds
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1395379

Thanks for the support Wink .... stay safe.

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

I am going to put repro vinyl paper onto mine. I cut a new panel from baltic birch, but pressboard is likely the same. I will use 3M 80 neoprene adhesive spray. It holds up under extreme temperatures. It's what the folks at bus-ok recommend for putting their paper on newly cut boards.

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v000074494/
Mi3ke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Update to the door project. We bought a nice bamboo fabric from Joanne's along with the 3M spray glue. We got the fabric on and went to install using theses clips:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/upholstery-tools-hardware/2323/door-panel-clip-exposed-head-black-

And they are not deep enough. Any ideas where to get longer clips/plugs? Right now the plugs go through the holes but the length ends at the depth of the fabric (x2) plus the panel. I need it to go about another 3/16ths.

The hole in my life I am trying to fill:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers, Mi3ke
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

The panels use holes which the fabric covers. This is what was used. You screw it in from behind. The head is designed to be covered. Maybe something else will work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mi3ke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Bueno.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

there are ALL SORTS of assorted door panel clip packs out there.
likely even your local NAPA has some on a rotating display by the counter.

but for $20 you'll have more than you ever dreamed of from Amazon/fleabay
https://www.google.com/search?q=assorted+door+panel+clips
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Kjlavoie wrote:
My 85 vanagon siding door panel needs to be replaced. Anyone know where I can get a new one? The cover is also damaged so I'll need a full replacement. I have found the wood part but not with the cover. Thanks!

To answer the question for the OP, you can get new door panels from the following sites:

https://sewfineproducts.com/Bug-Custom-Interiors

https://www.gowesty.com/shop/vehicle-parts/vanagon/body/upholstery/117?v=

Both sell quality products.

Not everyone wants to take the time or has the skill to make a home made product when you can buy professionally made panels for $180.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

I'm still in the market for a used original in decent shape.
(I know about ABS, birch, cover your own, new reproductions, etc.)

Hoping there's a used original one out there somewhere.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2458123

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel Reply with quote

Kjlavoie wrote:

I got a new one from Sewfine. Matching material and a perfect fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: