Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Filter...my first KG
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVHS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

Hi all,
My first KG, normally I'm a mustang person so just trying to get my head around this little beast

First of many questions (I've already spent hours here)

The air filter and assembly connected to it.. I'm not familiar with this but from what I see it looks like some sort of unit to pre-warm air before carb? Maybe best for cold climates?
I'm in Australia, its hot pretty much year round. I've seen pics of setups just running a standard air filter on top of carb with none of this.
Can I remove the this assembly and just run a foam/ paper air filter on top of carb

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

People do it all the time. Most of the pre-heat is done by the intake manifold. That oval canister is primitive emission control for fuel evaporation, so you will remove that too and either plug the hose or remove it. It runs into the front trunk to an expansion tank that looks identical.

If you do remove these things please post them on a classified ad here on the site because I know there are a lot of people looking for original air cleaners expansion tanks and charcoal canisters.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

You *can* replace it, but why would you? It works great and you don't need to maintain a filter. When you do an oil change this takes care of the extra half litre. I'd leave it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:
You *can* replace it, but why would you? It works great and you don't need to maintain a filter. When you do an oil change this takes care of the extra half litre. I'd leave it.

^^ I agree

IMO for a stock single carb engine, the oil bath air filter is a better option than any of the aftermarket paper or foam air filters.
1) as mentioned above you just change the oil in it when you change your engine oil. No paper filter to buy. It's a very small amount of oil that goes into it.
2) the crankcase vent deposits oil mist into the oil bath. With a paper filter, the crankcase vent typically gets plumbed right to the mouth of the carb, and then you're re-burning that oil mist, which isn't ideal
3) if you don't need pre-heat, you can disconnect the hose from the underside of the snorkel, and plug the hole in the engine tin.
4) the paper filters look cheap and ugly (my opinion, no offense if anyone here is running one)
5) You're probably not concerned about rain in Australia, but you will probably wash your car from time to time. Being directly under the engine lid vents, those cheap chrome paper air filters give a direct path for water to fall right into the intake if you don't have a rain tray.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

Plus those cheap paper filters have been known to catch on fire if your carb backfires.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

It might be hot but I’m sure that it’s quite dusty too, that’s where the oil bath filter excels. The paper & foam filters are only good for separating out the pebbles.

The oil bath also is cheaper in that you dump out the old oil, clean the the sediment out & replace the oil in the filter with what you drained out of the crank case.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

What you outlined in red is the "standard air filter"!!! It's not a pre-heat!
DaveVHS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

Thanks! some great advice.
Sounds like I need to keep it, I just need to understand it better Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filter...my first KG Reply with quote

You do need to replace the rubber tube between the carb & filter and also hook up or block off that fresh air tube and the hole that it’s supposed to fill.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: