Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

I have a cargo bag that I keep on my carrier. It’s got my bus cover and some tools in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

When I was a kid, Grandad and I used to go fishing for a week or so every summer. He had a 5.5 hp Johnson and the 5 gallon fuel tank on the rear rack of his '73. Also up there with it he had a set of "big wheel" wheels on a wooden frame that he used to move the 12' wooden rowboat we carried.

Grandad had put a roof rack made of 4x4's on there to hold the boat, so it was one heavily loaded Westy! I would imagine that the boat and all of it's rack and engine etc must have weighed in at about 500 pounds total. Much of that was not on the rear area, but it still was a good 150 pounds of heavy dense objects on the back alone. Never any problem, but I can imagine that it was not a great handler on the Hope-Princeton highway back in the day!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

This makes me wonder if my bars on my 72 are weaker than others for some reason.

I can reach up there and flex the bars down toward the paint with 2 fingers easily.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

I drove from eastern Quebec to Montreal with 3 bikes on the roof rack. The roof rack held up but the old passenger tires did not. Had an old fashioned blow out on the Pierre LaPorte bridge with flying chunks of hot tire. Doesn’t look like it would hold much but it does.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

Just went out and took some pics for science.

Excellent condition of original crossbars (pardon the dust):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Me pressing down on the center of that crossbar with 1 finger to make contact with the paint.

I dont know what Im missing here, but I do know I just bought 3 bundles of firewood and they weigh ~40lbs each. There is no way I could put a single bundle up there without destroying the paint under the bars.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

Someone has been walking around up there in the past and has bent the bars, they should have a slight upwards bow. If you are concerned about the paint fold a cheap yoga mat in 1/2 and slide it between the bars and roof before loading it up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

Or perhaps the crossbars have been replaced by someone in the past with straight and less-rigid bars.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HermanDT2b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

During our 8500 kms/5300 miles road trip through Spain and Portugal we used our luggage rack to transport our SUP board under a custom made cargo net. Great solution, no problems at all.
If you can push the bars down hitting the roof that easy, they cannot be original! I replaced mines a couple of years ago and they don't bow at all.

NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone actually use the early bay Westy luggage rack? Reply with quote

My crossbars were damaged so I had a buddy fab up a rack out of conduit.
Haven’t had much on it but large parts I picked up at vw shows, but I know it holds 330 lbs easily.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: