Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine crank handle storage
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

I searched but did not find where the crank handle used for manual starting is stored. Looking at kubelwagens it is on the inside of the engine cover, but mounts which way? I know there are some original military 181 around, anyone have a picture? I have a regular '74 181, but came across the handle and drilled an access hole in the tin for it and have the clips that hold it, just which way to mount. Any help is much appreciated.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

Here you go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

Thank you Al...ask and you shall receive. I love the samba.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

Alternatively you can stow it like this.

Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

Thanks Semper...I have a Tamiya Kubelwagen model and that's where they store it. I like the hidden way better, it's no show car.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

I am not into show cars and being cool at all, and would worry about a handle stored in the engine compartment coming loose and causing major damage to the engine.

My first Thing had the special pulley bolt for the hand crank and the crank itself. The handle stayed stored in the front boot together with the tire changing stuff.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine crank handle storage Reply with quote

The clamps that came with the handle did not hold it tight enough and it did not have the fancy clamp on the right.
I stuck behind the jack in the front.
I installed the special pulley bolt for the handle.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: