Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Procrastination at its finest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

I’ve had this 67 bug for about 15 years. It’s one of these things that just got on a back burner while life happened and I procrastinated. I did sand it down to bare metal and did a re spray ruby red. Very Happy I lost some of the parts along the way but today became motivated to work on it. I located missing parts and found some NOS front drums I forgot I had, installed outer races. So we’ll do more tomorrow Very Happy you know you’ve been dragging ass when dirt daubers build nests on your backing plates.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

🤘🏼Good job, everything you do is progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

15 years is nothing! During this pandemic I have been working on finishing my Dad's 1968 RHD beetle that I learned to drive on as a kid. Due to the lockdown of our airports, there are very few cargo planes bringing in parts from the US so I have to put the beetle on the backburner temporarily.

So this number 1 procrastinator thought he would start pulling down a Lancia Flavia Coupe that I bought THIRTY-FIVE years ago with a seized engine. It's been in dry storage ever since.

I have a sickness. I don't like to finish (or start) things until I'm good and ready.

Good luck with yours!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Man, that’s an ugly angle on the steering coupler. Replace it & make sure that the steering box clamp is on the correct way.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

I have a NOS dash pad that I got when I restored my car in 1999.... it's still in the box.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Got further along today and found some problems. Don’t skip over this on your next brake job.

Two things really necessary, bright lights and a way to really clean parts. So I got the hard lines off and found some partially blocked. This would have been discovered later when trying to bleed causing headaches and chasing tail. Also I’m checking condition of ferrule and looking for cracks, corrosion. It’s all 1967 specific and reservoir and piping all good. Now days they make reproductions.

Here’s some new parts.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Got after it again today removed old master cylinder and got front brakes done. I took a few pics cause hey who doesn’t like pictures ? 😀

First off we got ATE OE brand cylinders and noticed they come in sealed bags, that’s a nice touch

Notice we are using never seize on the adjusters. I think I’ve had this can over twenty years and it’s still over half full, a little goes a long way.

Look at both pics you see a high side and low side. High side goes facing out it helps hold the shoe in place. I’ve set a bad example here not wearing gloves you really shouldn’t get this stuff on your hands.

I found some new hard lines I’ve had rat holed.

I built up the brakes on the bench by removing the backing plate ( 3 bolts) and taking to the table where I can work comfortably instead of the monkey on the football scenario 😀

What really makes these jobs easier is having a parts washer. Contrary to popular belief they aren’t expensive and depending on what cleaner you use they don’t stink. This old Zep brand cleaner holds about 20 gallons.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

dang, that work bench has seen better days Laughing

also, a picture of the car itself would be pretty dope.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
dang, that work bench has seen better days Laughing

also, a picture of the car itself would be pretty dope.

I built that bench when I moved in here back in 2001. I built the other one showing the new parts and all that shelving by the parts washer. I think I’m slowing down now though.

Pretty good layer of dirt and dust. I paid 800 for this as a runner a years ago. I did the paint myself and it’s not perfect. Times flies 😀 in the paint booth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Got a little bit done today reservoir back in, master cyl. Switches installed, fill port turned to align with reservoir. Back brakes removed, lots of grease and cleaning. Cleaned it all up found some bad parts. Bulkhead partially crushed because spacers were never installed for M/C

This brake line corroded and partially crushed.

Thankfully I’ve got spare line and some tubing benders.

Dirt grease and more. I even had some NOS blue hose and I think that’s NLA now. I’ve been looking at the front beam and seriously considering just removing it to do upper and lower Ball joints and the steering gear box and all the tie rod ends. Nothings ever been touched it’s all OEM reminds me of why I bought this car it’s showing 98k miles and looks to be original. No excuses I’ve got the time now Very Happy
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

… very nice'67. Your old work bench, looks like mine, minus the termite damage, adding character, to the whole thing...Like your cool old fan too...

… and I bought my old 1950 11A standard from Oklahoma Bugs - I drove it, back in Jersey from 1977 to '80, when I sold it to buy a 1956 BMW Isetta 300, bubble window - has been sitting for over 40 years and we got it back - this time we'll keep it through a procrastination period...

… life is good, to us > bc or z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

So I’ve been cleaning and dealing with hacked 50 year old parts. Some of this could be missed but would cause problems later. I took a few pics just for good measure.

It pulled it all down to look at bearings and replace seals

The weep holes are plugged shut both sides. By design if you have oil leak the leak will drain out instead of all over your brake shoes. Prior to this they used a cup and tube arrangement that clipped to the drum. Most people threw them away.
Here tis, knew I had one 😀 I must admit I’ve left them off too. Pic is all the way scroll down.

Next up you see the ears that hold the adjuster for shoes, these are bent too much should look like next photo, I fixed those.

I’m going to use new lines because the old ones are in bad shape. I had to use this 11mm line wrench would have been impossible without.

Found a nice OEM coupler from Eric @ Bughaus and this stuff too

What I’m doing here is giving a close look at every component and building a firm foundation for properly working brakes.😀

The story on that electric fan. It’s from the 1930s and was given to me because it had been left outside for years and was seized. I cleaned it inside and out especially the grease which had turned into a solid. It was missing blade guard but I found a used one for cheap, polished the brass and I’ve been using it seasonally for about last 20 years. It will outlast me. Once upon a time things were made to last, if you took care of them.😀

It’s here...... http://wkinsler.com/fans/index.html

Watch out it’s a slippery slope getting into fixing old things, people think you are weird.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Got the master cylinder in and a few lines installed. Reservoir all in. Wife helped with M/C install holding in place while in got bolts started. She’s also certified on brake bleeding but we’re not there yet. I removed a copper fuel line and installed a new steel one, just small detail items.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

under coat that frame head when you get the chance if you wish Very Happy wait, you live in one of them dry places dont you?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Pretty straight forward job but always a mess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Today’s minor task

About this much grease for dry pilot bearing in gland nut.

That green paint is left over VW paint for torque stripe or witness mark. The white paint is my handy work.

I used it up here too, can glance at this occasionally to see it’s still tight.

Grease in

I’ll wipe off excess later.

First up a disc

Then the pressure plate

Stick it in to the gland nut you’ll feel it line up

Run bolts down lightly using a cross pattern

You could even torque them

I’m using this real deal VW flywheel lock

Here’s a bastard engine it’s a single port 1776 with doghouse cooling.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

nice flywheel lock. my china garbage one had a hole that they had casted as is. no further machining. no drilling. wasnt even sort of round. hence, it didnt fit without some hogging out with the drill bit(it wasnt a real sized hole, not in metric or sae).

which gives me an idea actually...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

nice flywheel lock. my china garbage one had a hole that they had casted as is. no further machining. no drilling. wasnt even sort of round. hence, it didnt fit without some hogging out with the drill bit(it wasnt a real sized hole, not in metric or sae).

which gives me an idea actually...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Where did you get this chromed intake manifold? Looks nice. I wish I had that.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Procrastination at its finest Reply with quote

Ok...I like how you roll....you have a lot to study in your pictures Shocked The Mcdonell Douglas Super 80 picture. I want! I have so many hours working that AC. (AA. Retired the fleet this past year, there gone) I thought it should of be gone 10 yrs ago, it out lasted me by 1year S80 35 me 25 years @ AA. but I digress. < ? Used properly?
BTW, great work bench! Snap on tools..cool. I like the tubing bender gear. Great project car 67's, I have 2 Ive been working on. I think your working on brakes off car is a great idea, especially when we get older, cant count the times getting up and downs when working on brakes!
Its not often I see such detailed pictures I shuddered when I saw the red! I had thought you tore the tip of finger off! Please keep em coming. And I want to know about your DOKA.
Just a shout out thanks for sharing. Keep it up. I will follow .
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: