Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro vacuum system replacement?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Syncro vacuum system replacement? Reply with quote

I have a 4WD Syncro drive train that I am planning to build into a buggy application. It has a rear locking diff and I plan to add a decoupler. Rather than locate/install the vacuum system I am considering using levers/cables or hydraulic master/slave cylinders.
Any issue with this? Is there something special in the transmission that requires use of vacuum actuation?
Thanks
Druck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Quattro Reply with quote

There is no reason that a vacuum system has to be used. A lever and cable system will work.

Having said that, I think that part of the reason that Steyer Puch and VW went with vacuum actuation is that is can be kept functioning despite mud, ice, etc. which can foul a lever system if the system is not weather-proof and mud-resistant.

You should also be aware that the diff lock often requires time to engage and disengage and the vacuum system keeps up the force to lock-unlock while you pay attention to the trail. With a lever system, you will be doing two or three things at once.

If you decide to use a vacuum system, you are not stuck with just the Vanagon parts. Many Audi quattro cars use vacuum-operated diff locks and the vacuum valves and vacuum reservoirs are available on E-bay for far less than the Syncro parts.

Have a look here:
https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/170940.phtml
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro vacuum system replacement? Reply with quote

the vacuum system is far simpler than the alternatives.
likely similar costs if not cheaper..
there's no voodoo in a vacuum system. and Ford used coffee cans for vac reservoirs in the 80s. it's not alot of negative pressure.
and with a running engine the power is always available. that's one reason 'most' cars have a vacuum power booster for the brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro vacuum system replacement? Reply with quote

Somewhere here, there is a thread documenting what you are asking about. Sorry I don’t have it book marked.
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro vacuum system replacement? Reply with quote

Thanks for 5he replies here
Looks like many possibilities and more investigation needed
Good to know I am able to use other vacuum systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro vacuum system replacement? Reply with quote

Thanks for 5he replies here
Looks like many possibilities and more investigation needed
Good to know I am able to use other vacuum systems.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro vacuum system replacement? Reply with quote

To help you think about it. The vacuum servos use vacuum to engage the locker/decoupler and vacuum to disengage the lockers.

The switch, swaps the vacuum to either side of the servo depending on if it's engaging or disengaging. Vacuum is always applied to the disengaged side of the servo.

The vacuum system is easy to route vs cables, electric motors etc. Plus the transaxle is already setup for that method.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: