Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Attempting to restore the original tools.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

The tools in my ‘66 were “restored” by the original owner, but not well. They are painted in red and black. The tool roll cleaned up pretty nicely with Woolite.

How would you safely return the tools to their original state? Paint stripper?

Anyone has a color picture of what an original tool kit looks like?

As you see, I also need a big screwdriver and a “big loop” cap puller.

What do you think?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Stockholm VW on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the original tools? Reply with quote

I like how someone high-lighted the tools in Red, and your pouch looks to be in great shapw. I havent had an OG tool kit for so many years I honestly cant recall what they are like stock. If i were going to re-do the ones you have i think a Vapor blast would be the way to go, then decide what color they need to be and re-paint them. I think you are also missing the long bar that is used when you use the double ended socket for a lug nut removal tool.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the original tools? Reply with quote

I've had good luck restoring old tools with electrolyte bath and a small power source.

There are some pretty interesting tutorials online, so I'll leave all the instructions there. However, I'll list some problem areas.

1. You would need to remove the paint first.
2. Make sure you have the electrical leads the right way or you will destroy the item.
3. Arm and hammer washing soda works well, for the solution, and is cheap.
4. If you just use an iron electrode, it will make the water a mess, but not too big of a deal.
5. Don't use too much power, or it will burn the item you are cleaning.
6. Only ferrous items.
7. You need to be patient.

I've cleaned up some old school tools purchased at a swap meet for .50c and are better than most new tools out there.

Vapor blasting would be awesome for something like this though. If you have access.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the original tools? Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
I like how someone high-lighted the tools in Red, and your pouch looks to be in great shapw. I havent had an OG tool kit for so many years I honestly cant recall what they are like stock. If i were going to re-do the ones you have i think a Vapor blast would be the way to go, then decide what color they need to be and re-paint them. I think you are also missing the long bar that is used when you use the double ended socket for a lug nut removal tool.

Big Bill,

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, red means “mine”. Lol My father-in-law used to paint all his tools blue. He always lent tools so I guess that’s how he kept track of them somehow.

The pouch is in fantastic shape after 54 years tossed in the spare well.

Were these tools painted originally? If so, whet color?

I’m not familiar with vapor blast.

The bent rod is in the trunk. I’m just missing the original cap removal tool and the big screwdriver. I did buy a troop cap remover, so I wouldn’t get stuck on the side of the road.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the original tools? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I've had good luck restoring old tools with electrolyte bath and a small power source.

There are some pretty interesting tutorials online, so I'll leave all the instructions there. However, I'll list some problem areas.

1. You would need to remove the paint first.
2. Make sure you have the electrical leads the right way or you will destroy the item.
3. Arm and hammer washing soda works well, for the solution, and is cheap.
4. If you just use an iron electrode, it will make the water a mess, but not too big of a deal.
5. Don't use too much power, or it will burn the item you are cleaning.
6. Only ferrous items.
7. You need to be patient.

I've cleaned up some old school tools purchased at a swap meet for .50c and are better than most new tools out there.

Vapor blasting would be awesome for something like this though. If you have access.

Thanks Pruneman,
Alas, I do not have access to or experience with electrolyte bath, so I would have to hire out.
What I decided to do is using a gentle paint stripper. I tried a bit on the lug socket, and it worked well on the thin coat. I’m currently soaking the tools in the
liquid. I’ll use a toothbrush and some Brillo pad tomorrow after the soak.

I know how we all love pics, so I’ll update as I complete this. Warts and all. 😂
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

You don't need anything special to do electro stripping.

I use a bucket, a piece of rebar, a bit of wire, and a very small trickle charger. A 9v battery would also work fine, but would run out of juice and need to be replaced.

I think the most expensive thing I bought was a 2 dollar piece of rebar. However, I've been thinking of buying a graphite rod to use instead of the rebar just to keep the water clean.

It's unreal how well a 70 year old pair of wire dykes cut after being rusted into a blob. My favorite cutters now.. I always keep an eye out for rusty old tools at the swap.

And once you set it up, you just let it do it's thing for a few days. I'm lazy Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

I would think a mild stripper like you are doing.

As far as I know they are not painted, except for the wood handled screwdriver.

They are plated. Black cad coating?

Original 65 Bug toolkit:

(Missing some stuff too)

In this photo the pliers on the far right are not original and have been added:
Quote:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I would think a mild stripper like you are doing.

As far as I know they are not painted, except for the wood handled screwdriver.

They are plated. Black cad coating?

Original 65 Bug toolkit:

(Missing some stuff too)

Great pic. Now I know what they should resemble. I’m getting there. The red paint is really stubborn, though. I’m letting it soak overnight.
You’re right. After checking in my manual I see that the big pliers don’t belong. Thanks!
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

Here's the tools from my 1972 SB.
The pliers are not org. I did clean them up and paint them, not sure what year they are from ?
I did clean the others up and put oil on them.

I put my tools in a pan of lacquer thinner and let them soak a little, after the paint was removed I cleaned them with ++++ steel wool then oiled.

I would not count on the tire tools to change a flat tire, as most of the tire stores
let their help use air guns with around 3000 lbs of air press because it's a lot quicker. when I have new tires installed as soon as I get home I use a "breaker bar" to break the lug nuts loose and retighten them with the tools that are in the car. just a thought. Wink
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

OK, so here’s the final verdict. These tools were painted by the PO and needed a good soak in paint stripper.
After a good clean and a light rubbed coat of 30 weight, I think they turned out really nice. Too bad the screwdriver is missing the chrome trim piece. ☹️
The original tool roll cleaned up nicely.
Original breaker bar and a repro cap puller is in the car.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

Nice! Those came out really good and look fine as-is in my opinion.

I'm surprised how well that bag cleaned up, even a couple super nice original ones I own have some stains.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Attempting to restore the original tools. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice! Those came out really good and look fine as-is in my opinion.

I'm surprised how well that bag cleaned up, even a couple super nice original ones I own have some stains.

Thanks! Yeah, I’m quite pleased. The roll was disgusting before the soak in Woolite. It took a couple of attempts, and there are still a few spots, but almost imperceptible.

Now on to cleaning up the spare tire well. Some touch up paint and a bit of wax and polish might do the trick. I’ll document it as I go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: