Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

Not just the bedliner, it's bubbling everywhere. That is worse bubbling than my van had and my van is a completely rusty piece of shit. As a rule of thumb in my experience, any place that has bubbling larger than 3" across has some place that is a hole and the metal is so thin you can't tack it back up. It'll be a cut out and replace. That is a remove the glass, strip all the paint, cut and weld, and repaint job for sure. It does have the 1.9 TDI though, that's nice. Interior is nice too.

Even with the TDI, it pales in comparison to the burgundy one posted.
trekker6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

I'm going to put my 1986 army doka 2wd on sale soon. The body was totally redone by vintage vw also known as soflovw, it's painted a semigloss forest green. It has an an ahu tdi 98, modified tranny with higher gearing for the tdi and it also has peloquin torque biasing. manual steering, no radio, it has less than 80000 miles.It has vanagon wolfsburg seats front and rear, mercedes clk 16" wheels. It drives great and is economical. I took out the electronic fuel injection pump and installed a lmr 300 manual injection pump, which is very reliable and works great.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
The pics of the rust coming through the bedliner on the BAT doka would make me very nervous.

Most of the ones you ee on BaT on near perfect- this one not so much. Perhaps they feel that a Tristar will get top dollar no matter what.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

Thought I would update on what I decided on. Thanks for the good advice here and a couple of PMs from someone in the know I decided on the maroon 89 Syncro. Took some time and a couple small issues but delivered a couple days ago.

It's not in the condition I was lead to believe and I wouldn't suggest doing a long distance buy to anyone. Seller seemed pretty honest and another Samba member looked at it briefly but aside from small items it has some serious issues with missing, lack of power, back fire, etc. I know I will get them all resolved but would have been nice to have gotten a more objective description of the truck.

Lots of questions for all of you in the near future.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

Dude, that looks awesome. Engines are swapped easily enough, honestly. They're the least of your worries. Body and the rest of the drivetrain are what's important. Some missing or lack of power, eh, probably no biggie. Might just be the timing that needs to be adjusted.

Congrats dude, that is really cool.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Dude, that looks awesome. Engines are swapped easily enough, honestly. They're the least of your worries. Body and the rest of the drivetrain are what's important. Some missing or lack of power, eh, probably no biggie. Might just be the timing that needs to be adjusted.

Congrats dude, that is really cool.

Thanks. It's only money, right? I'm not too worried about the issues- they will get sorted. Not the biggest fan of the 16" wheels though, might have to swap. The original green I find more pleasing as well. The basics first though and then the pretty stuff.
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

Welcome to the syncro Doka club
Does it have diff locks or decoupler?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

bajabones wrote:
Welcome to the syncro Doka club
Does it have diff locks or decoupler?

One knob.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Thanks. It's only money, right? I'm not too worried about the issues- they will get sorted. Not the biggest fan of the 16" wheels though, might have to swap. The original green I find more pleasing as well. The basics first though and then the pretty stuff.

Well if you want the original 14" wheels with 27x8.5 General Grabbers I'd be happy to trade. I'll even drive down there. Laughing
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

Beautiful doka, congrats! Keep us posted on your progress.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Thought I would update on what I decided on. Thanks for the good advice here and a couple of PMs from someone in the know I decided on the maroon 89 Syncro.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sweeet doka! Beautiful looking rig. Engine stuff is manageable - body issues can get get you down....

More pictures please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Doka- comment on 3 for sale here Reply with quote

nice Doka...

but needs beefier/fatter tires instead low profile tires... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: