Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Just over a week ago I became the next caretaker for a 1963 Ruby Red Notchback that is no stranger to TheSamba or the Type 3 Forum. I don’t think I can sum it up any better than Tom Mink who owned it previously:

///Mink wrote:
I also played internet detective for a while and figured out that this car has been passed around like a drunk sorority girl for the last decade or so.

You can view the previous thread from Tom and Chris here:

So what do I/don’t I have here? (‘63 Notchback)

Almost a decade later and there are a couple more names on the PO list, mine being the latest. This thread will detail the known history of this Notchback, and the preservation work that’s about to happen.

So what’s known? Tom was able to track down quite a bit of info regarding previous owners; tracking it all the way back to the 1970s:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scouring TheSamba gallery turns up some gems that line up with some of the names on the list. Here are some pics from when Martin from The DDB owned it from 2002-2004:

Flash forward to 2011 and it popped up in a thread:

63 Notch project

Nick had some serious plans for it:

nickg321 wrote:
Not really planning to keep it original; body will stay intact don't plan on doing any crazy body mods like last time. We do however plan on putting a 1.8t in it. Could do a Subaru, but I would much rather see all VW parts.

Also, just pulled out all the original trunk pad/liner. Will have an ad for that and the engine lid and a running engine.

Need to find short axles for the rear and I want wide 5 disc brakes up front, but not quite sure on whats needed for that.

-Nick

nickg321 wrote:
Well nothing is going to be sold and no body work is going to be done until we are positive that the decklid will close with the 1.8t from 2000 passat (I believe) will fit into the back nice and snuggly. I plan on keeping it the 1.8t since I can get one fairly cheap and they have enough power and reliability. Also, hopefully this won't be a hack, we will do it correctly. Keeping it original VW parts Wink Just off of different cars...

Which of course was met with some hostility...

krusher wrote:
Wow, nice car looks OG paint bar that one fender, shame to loose all the og stuff, but its your car.

turbomicrowaves wrote:
There goes another one.

Others said go for it, basically.

vwfye wrote:
Purists amuse me.

Bobnotch wrote:
Well, it is his car. Rolling Eyes

And others thought it wasn’t far enough.

supaninja wrote:
there is no reason to hack up a perfectly good notch to stuff a low powered water pumper in it. If you have to have a radiator then do it right, turboed K20!

Nick- if you want to do a motor swap so bad then maybe a type 4 motor?

Good thing for me, he backed away from this idea.

nickg321 wrote:
Yeah, the motor I want to use has 150 stock HP, think in 2001 they started being 180 HP stock. But I think you guys may be right; I should pick up a less OG notch to do this work on. So I think I may put this one up for sale, message me if you have any interest. If it doesn't sell after a while though, I will just keep it.

Sometime in September of 2011 it was listed for sale and Tom Mink purchased it.

Next up is Tom through Chris...

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest

Last edited by squaretobehip on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I recognize the handwriting in that first picture!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Congratulations! I miss my ruby red fender beading, I hope they are on the car. I was looking for someone to offer my early stuff.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

After Tom bought it from Nick, he started his thread. Being a Bus guy, I don't think Tom knew what he was getting into with it, but he's enough of a VW junkie to know when something is special. He did a lot with what he had, and these Type 3s, specifically in the state it was in, are really hard to do. For instance, if you replace something, the part right next to it just looks like shit. And if you start, where do you stop? You can end up going down a rabbit hole. And early parts? I think Tom did all the right things. He fixed the obvious, spruced it up just enough, and most importantly, made it a driver. It seems like a lot of people have really wanted to take this thing to the next level, but no one ever has the heart to do it. It's survived so much and that wear and tear tells some sort of story. There's something about an "original" car that just can't be replicated in any restoration Once it's gone, it's gone.

But enough about that. Let's go over what Tom did. These are the first pictures of the car from his thread:

Over the next two years, Tom did a number of fixes. I'm not gonna go over all of them, just the major stuff.

He dropped the rear end back to a more "stock" height. And some front end service work.

Pan work with Ghia/Thing sections for some quick fixing.

I'll leave this quote of his here... Laughing

///Mink wrote:
Sure, it's ugly as sin, but at least it's solid now. And it's a damn sight better than anyone else had done to it in the last 48 years and it should survive a nuclear winter. And it didn't cost anything.

Next up were wheels and hood work. The hood is all bad on this car and Tom did his best to "fix" it. Hey, it opens and closes, which I'm sure is more than a couple other owners can say.

///Mink wrote:
Also fixed up the hood - at some point it had flown up and torn the hinge mounts, bent the crap out of the hood and generally made a mess of things. I re-welded the hinges and got the shot lines looking 100% better than before.

Tom did some engine fixin' as well. Lucky for me, and whoever comes after me, there are photos of it in various condition over the last 15 years.

2004:

2011 (When Tom purchased it):

2011 (Tom's first pass at sprucing it up):

2011 (Fan came loose, and Tom spruced it up even more):

Along with the fixes there are a couple shots of the Notchback out and about.

Some photos I pulled from his gallery:

And then that was that. Tom listed it for sale. Here's that first shot again, and the last photo for comparison.

Lots of progress between those two photos and the others posted above. It's obvious from reading through his thread that Tom cared a lot. This car kinda has that affect on you. As I mentioned in my first post, Tom was able to trace this car back to the 1970s. Lots of people have loved this little Notchback...but more on that later.

The next update was just over a year later when Chris posted that he had purchased it:

Chris Paterson wrote:
Hey All, as an update. Tom has sold me this car! I flew up to the Bay Area met up with some VW buddies and we drove over to Sacramento to pick it up late September. I drove the car from Tom's place over to the bay area where we gave it a good once over. We changed the oil, adjusted the valves, set the timing etc... etc... Then I drove it 350 miles home to Thousand Oaks, CA.

I scored some parts for it: An original radio from Jacin Ferreira (still need the wrap around), a correct light grey shift knob. I got a red dot heater knob from Bert3 as well as a rebuilt carb (The other one started developing problems right before the drive home). I also got the factory birth cert and apparently, this car was an original German Domestic car! So that means, at some point I'm going to have to replace the SB12s on the thing and find me a nice set of Euro Headlights, and replace the side markers with the clear/red combo.

Presently, I'm driving the car daily to work and back. What a joy it is. This is my first type 3 and man these cars are like the best of driving a VW and a real car at the same time!

Just wanted to update this thread and have somewhere to post progress as I slowly get this thing back to og condition. Smile

Next up is Chris' time with it.

Follow ISP West on:

Last edited by squaretobehip on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
I recognize the handwriting in that first picture!

I bet you do! It's one of the coolest parts about this thing...can't wait to share more.

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Congratulations! I miss my ruby red fender beading, I hope they are on the car. I was looking for someone to offer my early stuff.

Martin
Allwagons

Thanks, Martin! They're all here, don't worry. Cool

Follow ISP West on:

///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Excited to see the next chapter of the story!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

It's going into the paint booth!

About time someone finally stepped up and restored this car properly..

Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

the long lost california cousin for mine Dancing Dancing

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

very cool! R Red seems to burn off that way.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

what I think is cool is you've wanted a ruby red early notch for quite a while Very Happy and now you're going to be fixing up a good known one
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

You guys are jumping ahead! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Follow ISP West on:

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

On 9/29/12, either Tom or Chris marked Chris Paterson as the new owner/caretaker:

On 12/10/12, Chris updated Tom's original thread with an update about purchasing the car:

Chris Paterson wrote:
Hey All, as an update. Tom has sold me this car! I flew up to the Bay Area met up with some VW buddies and we drove over to Sacramento to pick it up late September. I drove the car from Tom's place over to the bay area where we gave it a good once over. We changed the oil, adjusted the valves, set the timing etc...

The great part is that I have pics of this day from our mutual buddy Jacin(hoss). Check out Chris...he's all stoked. Cool

Over the next 10 months, Chris went pretty hard on the major mechanical stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of the pics are missing from the thread (I gotta get those). Thankfully they're not all gone. He had the transmission rebuilt and powdercoated:

He also had the long block rebuilt, and did a bang up job restoring a lot of the stuff on it. Here's a little of that:

A few years later and Chris was still updating the thread and tinkering with the Notchback. An attempt at cleaning her up a little bit in 2016:

The last major update was in 2018, and shows an installed uncracked dashpad, some super clean gauges, and what look like some really nice floor mats:

My favorite quote and picture from the entire thread are these:

Chris Paterson wrote:

Plus I have to spend some time to teach the boy about engines Wink

I've known Chris for a little bit and we've spoken about this Notchback, work, family, and time, or lack thereof, at multiple shows over the years. The picture above sums up a lot. No matter how cool the car is, family comes first. Which is pretty much what happened with this Notchback. His family grew, and the Notchback and other VW stuff slipped to the side for the most part. Every time we'd talk about the Notch, he'd tell me about the latest plans, and the latest parts he'd purchased for it. While he wasn't exactly working on it, he was still on the hunt for parts. When the idea of selling it came up during those conversations, he'd always tell me how much he loved it, and how much he had into it.

Personally, I think it was a couple things, because I've run into similar sentiments and issues around my Squareback. These early cars are effing hard to do...and I say this as someone who works at ISP West. Some of these parts are just unobtainium; they're impossible to find. If you do find what you're looking for, it's usually used, busted up, needs restoration, etc. If it's NOS or in good shape, you're paying some ungodly amount for it...praying to something that it makes the journey halfway around the world safely, because no amount of insurance is enough to replace it, and it'll be years before you find another one. Reproduction wrap-around dashpads are not on the horizon. Rubber floor mats are getting harder and even more brittle everyday. The really bad part is that these cars just don't command the money they really deserve when they're done right, and the word "right" is totally subjective. It's really easy to get underwater on one of these. Money wise, but also nerd-wise. All the nerds want the cool stuff; the correct bits that make these early cars special. If you don't have those, are you even cool? Laughing And if you have those cool bits, do you install them on the car the way it is? This is where everyone gets stuck with this car, and especially, Chris. He really wanted to do this car right, and it really shows.

This Notchback was in that weird middle ground. Everyone who has owned it has recognized its originality in some way, even if they weren't a Type 3 nerd. They've spared it, and it made it to 2020 relatively intact. A lot of Type 3s didn't make it through the 70s and 80s unscathed. But no one seems to know what do with it. Paint it? But then that original-ish look is gone. That patina, completely unique, is gone. And if you do paint it, how far do you go? If you do the interior, do you do it all? The question is always, where do you stop? How do you save that "original" feeling? The feeling that made every single one of those previous owners take care of it just a little bit more. It's not just another Notchback, and they preserved it for some reason.

A couple years later, and here we are. I got word earlier this month that it might be for sale, for real this time, and I made an offer for it. Lucky for me, Chris accepted. He said he was stoked that it was going to me and that he knew I wouldn't "slam it on earlies."

Definitely not.

More to come...

Follow ISP West on:

Last edited by squaretobehip on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I think it's important to mention that I made an offer on an early Notchback that I had never seen in person. I wouldn't recommend doing that for anyone reading this. Don't do that. Also, I'm up in NorCal, and the car was in SoCal with a global pandemic still ongoing. That being said, I sort of knew what Chris had collected for the car from previous conversations and I felt fairly confident about the decision. As he packed up the car he sent me some photos. The first photo I got of my newly purchased Notchback was this:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Chris had originally planned to take the car to ISP for a new headliner and window rubber/glass install that next week, and seeing as how I was up north, we kept to that plan for the most part.

Here are a few shots of it and the parts being loaded up:

Chris collected a bunch of driver's doors. He was looking for something that matched the patina, or at the very least, something correct.

Unfortunately, none of these are correct. Crying or Very sad

Then I got pics of it dropped off at ISP. You haven't been spending too much time on TheSamba, they're just small and kinda blurry. Laughing

As you can see in that last pic, there was a bunch of stuff packed in there! He did a pretty good job protecting all the good stuff.

Next up, I made the drive down to SoCal to see just what I got myself into.

Follow ISP West on:

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I went down to ISP last weekend, my first trip since lockdown began, and my first thought was, "Ut oh." It's rough. There's no point in sugarcoating it.

They shoved it in the paint booth to keep it and the stuff that came with it contained. I couldn't help myself.

First up...the really bad stuff. Besides the drivers door and passenger fender being swapped out...

This car is far from original paint, at least on the exterior. Tom even mentions it on page one of his thread:

///Mink wrote:
krusher wrote:
Can you put me out of my misery Mink and take some cutting compound and wax to a little bit of that car, ever time I see it I just want to polish that OG paint to see how it comes up Very Happy

Actually, it might be hard to believe, but it's not original paint. It was at least partially repainted a very long time ago. Also, the left door and right rear fender have been replaced at some time in its past.

So while it looks like original paint, it isn't. Therefore I don't feel bad about my plans to eventually do bodywork and paint it.

There's lots of evidence of an exterior respray at some point a long time ago. It has faded; revealing some of the OG ruby beneath it...but mostly, it's just cracked and terrible.

The inside of the front bumper, at least on the passenger side, is red. Laughing

Here's a shot of that drivers rear fender:

In some spots, there's no paint at all. Bare metal with some nice pitting going on.

Next up is the hood that Tom tried his best to make work. It's all bad. Not his work, but the hood itself. It was hyperextended at some point, and damaged the cowl, frunk lip, and did a number on the hood brackets. Check it out, it's almost straight up:

Passenger door is correct, and original to the car:

Driver's door...is not. It's a '66 Granada Red door. Unique, but not gonna work.

Thankfully, I know a place that has the right door. Er, left.

Lots of bumps and bruises. Lots. You can even see the wavy driver's rear fender in the first shot.

Rear apron was pushed in. The bottom of it is not so bad, but I forgot to take a pic.

It has all of the usual front fender rust, tops and bottom. There's also some on the rear drivers side fender as well.

After cleaning out the inside, got some pictures of some other rust, which Chris mentioned.

Not pictured is the super wonky rear hood. The bushings are totally worn. Also, Tom's pan work aside, they're pretty bad. The included repair sections are gonna come in handy.

Other than all of that, and probably some more after it's stripped down a little more, it's not too bad. It's pretty dry for the most part. Rockers are good, footwells are good, etc. Lots of good.

More to come!

Follow ISP West on:

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Let's talk about the good. As I mentioned above, or before, Chris was collecting parts for this thing the whole time he owned it.

After removing all of the stuff from the inside, I got a good look at the rubber mats Chris had sourced from Mario in Germany. They're really clean. The rear seat panel pieces do not have the heater holes...yet.

Mario also supplied the uncracked Dashpad:

Some restored gauges are in it as well:

Martin (ALLWAGONS) supplied the NOS Ruby Red fender beading:

Others supplied other cool parts like NOS window cranks, and a super clean Blaupunkt with surround:

Some other nice bits that are usually hard to find:

The trunks on this Notchback are still original paint and they're in really great shape.

The trunk before and after the stuff was removed and some vacuuming:

The engine lid is pretty nice, but it will need some new insulation.

The frunk is also pretty clean. The liner isn't so bad, and while the side pieces are not installed, I do have them.

Messed around with some polish for a split second opposite the VIN tag. Can't wait to really clean this car up...

Overall shots as it sits:

Motor still looks great. Needs a good cleaning though.

Can't wait to detail some of these areas up.

Next up, the plan.

Follow ISP West on:

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

👍😎
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Some absolutely fantastic reference photos there.
Answered many questions.
Thank You.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Very nice. Cool Very complete too. The big question will be what are you going to do? Repaint? Or just reassemble and preserve? It's the same questions that the previous owners have had to ask too.
I know on my own car, the rust repairs around the sunroof (and other spots) caused me to repaint, and I did a color change when I did that (mine was originally a ruby red car). What I found on my own car, was that it had been repainted multiple times (the outside), but under the rear fenders looked beautiful (original paint). Unfortunately, those were the only places that looked that good. The under trunks had definitely seen better days (this was back in September 1999) when I got it.
Looks like you've got plenty to keep you busy, just doing clean up. Are you going to redo the interior? Since you're planning on doing the headliner.
Nice project, and look forward to seeing more pics as you move along with it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I think the good parts far out weigh the bad. It`s going to be a really cool car when you get done.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Ya, this does look like a really good car overall.
The work put in so far, things like the dash pad and fender beading,
It's mostly restored already with just those two parts..!
Laughing

Because of the body damage to the cowl,
rust-thru holes under the back seat,
wrong door,
dents, etc.
-plus-
A previous respray is not original paint.
Plus,
The headliner and dash (Door panels and seats?) and gauges are all restored/new looking.

If you keep the door-jambs, dash, etc. original paint,
Buff what you can, shoot what you have to to straighten it out (i.e. cowl),
It will still feel original, and will (kind of) be.
Should still smell like an original car, right..?
You get to skip sandblasting the shell and all that pain,
and do just an exterior re-spray.
Match the OG ruby, maybe have the paint shop lighten it a bit to match the faded other parts you're keeping?
Do single-stage, don't cut/buff, duplicate the factory paint as much as you can..

Nobody would (rightfully Laughing ) chastise you for doing this.
Patina is supposed to be faded nice original paint,
Not some re-spray rusted thru with clear coat.. Rolling Eyes

And,
Come on,
Let's all admit it,
People do "patina" to avoid the pain that is paint/body.
Pretty much nobody with a rusted-thru re-spray wouldn't take a free nice paint job if they could get one.
Patina is usually just a way of pretending that your crappy paint is cool,
And enough people play along now,
That you can mostly avoid the painful truth that you have an old shitty-looking car.
And save thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.. Wink

So,
In the overall scheme of things,
This car is really ready to be resprayed IMHO.
Just like you said, if you have a nice dash, good mats, new headliner, new seals and...
The rest of it looks wrong beside it.

Let's see more pics of the nether regions buffed out;
Inside the frunk, door jambs, etc.

If all that stuff shines up nicely,
And you're getting the interior looking nice here soon,
I'm thinking that a 'sympathetic exterior re-spray' would be exactly the ticket.
And,
It will also set the stage for getting other crappy parts up to snuff over time.
That would all just be icing on the cake.
You are in a rather unique position in which to be able acquire some of the stuff the car needs, after all.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: