Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I bow down to the excellent work. It looks like showroom fresh. It just needs that new car smell. (And a fresh off the line ACVW smell is unique.)
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I put the carpet kit in over the weekend. I am 90% happy with it.

When the car was at ISP, we had pulled the rubber mats out to do pan repair work, rocker repairs, and lots of other stuff. It was necessary that they came out, but I was really worried about them being out of the car and cracking further, or warping. When most of the repair stuff was complete, the mats were one of the last things to go back in as they weren't sure what I was going to do about the carpet. Hell, even I wasn't sure what I was going to do. But I made the decision to get them back in for the time being. Flash forward a couple months and I have a carpet kit that I had made locally, patterned from a few NOS pieces I have. They did a good job with them, not much to complain about.

I knew I'd have to install these somehow without pulling the rubber mats, and that's what I did. Looks good to me and does the trick. I still need to seat the column tube seal and clean up some overspray.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

carpet turned out nice!

I hear ya on the mat, that's nerve wracking
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Looks really good.

Unfortunately my rubber mats are completely shot. I will need to find a different solution.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Looks really good.

Unfortunately my rubber mats are completely shot. I will need to find a different solution.

Thanks. Just go with some nice carpet and some coco mats. Anyone that looks in and goes, "Oh...this guy doesn't have the rubber mats..." is a dick. Laughing

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
mdege wrote:
Looks really good.

Thanks. Just go with some nice carpet and some coco mats. Anyone that looks in and goes, "Oh...this guy doesn't have the rubber mats..." is a dick. Laughing

90% Happy? That looks great! Where do you want me to send the 1500 Club sticker?

My mats in my 64 are haggard. Yours are in great shape, have the checked paint pattern still on them. No worries about the "dicks" Laughing

I'm happy to have the ones I do. Your resto is spot on and well done Cool

Ill pull mine eventually, clean them, new carpet Im sure and try to put some backing on my cracks.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I love the carpet-mat combo. It looks so inviting and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more.Plus it should be even quieter with the carpet under the mat. Great job. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I love the carpet-mat combo. It looks so inviting and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more.Plus it should be even quieter with the carpet under the mat. Great job. Cool

Thankfully it's just a little tucked under the mats. Just rockers + front kick panels, and center section on the firewall.

Follow ISP West on:

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

I'm curious how they would have made the original, was that a patterned sheet that was heat shaped , or vacuum formed. Or was it a mold that had rubber injected.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Id think it was a molded sheet. The part around the pedals and tunnel are form fitted, hence the cracking/tearing you see on mine. The sheet has a pebble grain to it similar to the dash and arm rests but bigger that you can kinda see where my feet go. Its then sprayed with a basket weave type pattern that is seen on Mikes very predominantly and on mine near the tunnel. That eventually wears off.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

And when it goes rotten, it just becomes rubble and bits of rubber like mine was Sad Crying or Very sad There was no way to remove or recover. I have been looking for big pieces at my VW recovery centers (Salvage yards) and see the same.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
And when it goes rotten, it just becomes rubble and bits of rubber like mine was Sad Crying or Very sad There was no way to remove or recover. I have been looking for big pieces at my VW recovery centers (Salvage yards) and see the same.

For years, I looked at a couple of things I needed on hand before I was going to tackle any kind of early 61-65 era restoration. Good dash, arm rests and a floor mat. The mat being the least of it as it can be covered with coco mats, floor mats and the like. Those hard to find interior bits are the toughest. Lots of the other stuff you can get by or get close.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
For years, I looked at a couple of things I needed on hand before I was going to tackle any kind of early 61-65 era restoration. Good dash, arm rests and a floor mat. The mat being the least of it as it can be covered with coco mats, floor mats and the like. Those hard to find interior bits are the toughest. Lots of the other stuff you can get by or get close.

Same...learned that from all of you here and while working at ISP. You buy when you have the chance because when you need it...you can't find it. Thankfully, Chris the PO of this car had already collected most of the hard to find stuff. It's part of the reason I jumped into it. If I had to find some of this stuff, no way.

Follow ISP West on:

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Has an NOS one ever popped up for sale? I know Dave Orozco had an early early patterned rear mat for squareback, but I have never seen of an NOS one foe sale

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Has an NOS one ever popped up for sale? I know Dave Orozco had an early early patterned rear mat for squareback, but I have never seen of an NOS one foe sale

I think Mario had some NOS later mats with ribs. It was a few months ago, but I think he found a few fronts.

Follow ISP West on:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

The closest I ever saw to NOS was in this car. The front was wadded up and unloved. The rear was nice from what I remember - ISP BBQ 2007

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

I've never seen any of the floor mats.

I've seen carpet pieces, front and rear trunk mats (Notchback), and a rear Squareback rubber mat before.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:

Pattern is very nice! I remember this early mat from Dave O (RIP)

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

I remember this early mat from Dave O (RIP)

He was so stoked to show that thing off when they got back from Germany. Miss that guy.

Follow ISP West on:

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ruby Red Notchback Preservation Reply with quote

Follow ISP West on:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: