Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New inner right tie rod end too long... what to do
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: New inner right tie rod end too long... what to do Reply with quote

I searched the forum for an issue like the mine but it did'nt found this exact issue.

I ordered a set of Meyle tie rod ends for my '63.

The inner right tierod end (the one with damper connection) is longer than the original, see photo.

The issue is that, with the steering box at center position both right tierods (inner and outer) shall be fully screwed in to have the wheel in a almost correct position.

The issue is that I can not screw in the tie rod ends into the tie rod, about 1cm of threading remains out.

So I have thought about those 3 solutions, please comment and add if other:

1) to shorten the tie rod ends, to make they screwing in deeper; but... how can I be sure that the threading is still engaging in the tie rod?

2) to thread deeper (I dont know the values of threading) into the tie rod, only the clockwise part, so I should screw in tierodend for more length;

3) to reposition the wheel on the steering box in a different position, off from the alignment, but I think geometry and driveability are not the best.

In the photo above you can notice where the new tie rod end is longer, near the attach point for the steering damper.

Thank you for you replies, Simone

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: New inner right tie rod end too long... what to do Reply with quote

I would say your best option is 4) Return that tie-rod end that has to be for another application and get one that is properly threaded.

I know it's not the easiest for you to order from Wolfsburg West but they do show the correct tie-rod for your application.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113415813

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: New inner right tie rod end too long... what to do Reply with quote

I resolved the question.

The Tie rod was not correct, also if the dealer confirm that the long one can be used.

So I have found the right one (shorter) from an other dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: