Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emblem
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Emblem Reply with quote

Found This emblem for a type 2 t1.
How is it supposed to look at the backside?
How would it attach to the front of the car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

The mounting studs are missing, crappy pic from the gallery:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The mounting studs are missing, crappy pic from the gallery:

I see. The emblems are pricey over here, so I bought it anyway.
I will need to weld some studs on then.
Thanks.
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

Does it look original to you?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

Studs bare or studs threaded is an easy way to tell unfortunately. Someone may know a weight of original here though
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

For those with an original nose emblem with the studs and clips, placing a clip on the stud behind the fuse box and another up near the wiper motor just wasn't for me. So, at the local Hobbytown USA, I found a package of rare earth magnets made by Magcraft, part number NSN0589/N40; specs are Countersunk #10 (M5) screw, D=0.75" (19.1mm), d=0.200" (5.1mm), thickness = 0.125" (3.2mm), a package of 6 were about $14. They fit the posts exactly and the posts have length to protrude into the nose of the bus. So the order is magnets over post on emblem then stick the emblem to the nose. Requires considerable force to remove the emblem. And you'll have a couple of spare magnets.

How the 4 rare earth magnets in an array on the nose of my bus will affect police radar when I'm wound out doing 55 in a 70 is yet to be discerned.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

If I had a studless emblem I would consider welding 4 short screws on there for ease of install (like the repops). One could file the screw heads shallow enough to not interfere.

As for having an emblem be half-anchored like the above idea. No. Nothing worse than frustrating a thief. Either make the emblem impossible to steal or extra easy with magnets. Giving a thief hope begs to have your bus f-d up dude. Frankly that's the most bizarre advice I've read in a while here.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

"Half Anchored"? How so?

4 rare earth magnets hold the emblem on. Easily snatched off by a would be thief intent of all things thieving a VW emblem, yet won't fall off when hitting a pot hole or getting passed by a semi truck. Boy Howdy. Tough crowd!
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

Thank you for the good advice. Luckily we don’t have thief’s over here, as we are all mega happy, and honest with free healthcare and schools.
I don’t think I can manage anymore rare items, as I’m building a patina 62 westy Kombi so34. I think I will weld on some threadet studs and find some rubber spacers some nuts and maybe even use a bit of loctite.
Bonus info: I payed 110$ for the emblem including shipping from Germany.
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Studs bare or studs threaded is an easy way to tell unfortunately. Someone may know a weight of original here though

When studs are bare we can consider as original?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

^^^yes.
eroseme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
"Half Anchored"? How so?

4 rare earth magnets hold the emblem on. Easily snatched off by a would be thief intent of all things thieving a VW emblem, yet won't fall off when hitting a pot hole or getting passed by a semi truck. Boy Howdy. Tough crowd!

I used the magnet idea for my 1964 emblem. I bought many different widgets from ACE to try to securely mount it, but that was useless because I cannot get my 2XL Sasquatch hands in there. So hobby magnets from Amazon worked perfectly. The emblem has been flopping around for 20 years so this is a great fix for peace of mind. Thank you!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

Glad to see someone with basic reading comprehension skills find my suggestion helpful. You're certainly welcome! However, for the purist amongst us trying to deal with the metal clips and 2XL hands, the task could be done with a length of fishing line, a small bolt or toothpick even, and a friend.

Tie a small bolt or toothpick or washer....basically anything small, in the center of 3 feet of fishing string. Slip the metal clip over the string and then push that end of the string through the hole in the nose of your bus from inside the cab to the outside. Have your friend place the emblem and then pull the string pulling the clip up towards the stud. From the inside push the clip on the stud. Retrieve the string with the bolt, toothpick, washer or whatever you used to guide the clip into place on the string from the inside and repeat 3 more times. Of course a fellow that was really thinking would use 4 pieces of fishing line with doo dads tied to the center of them holding the clip in a near position with the ends of the string on the outside of the bus taped to the nose ready for your friend to pull for you one at a time while holding the emblem in place against your hand pressure pushing the clips on.......!

But I do like the 4 rare earth magnets. I can always take the emblem off and store it should I ever find myself worried about thieving VW emblem bandits. Special events I could even swap out my velvet green emblem for my chrome deluxe emblem. 99.9% of the loving public wouldn't think twice about a chrome emblem on a standard microbus.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

Getting tired of the emblem sitting loosely with the clips, I have threaded the studs and put nuts on. I had to be careful when I did the threading because the studs seem to be made out of a rather soft metal. That, and the emblem was a chromed version.
Works well though.
It is an original emblem, so now i have an original emblem with threaded studs Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Emblem Reply with quote

What's the best way to replace rusty or broken emblem studs? Drill a hole and plug weld?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: