Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

Thanks to Valvecovergasket who I don't know how to tag. Super helpful.

I actually just posted video over on my IG story and don't really know how to link it directly here.

I'm hoping this isn't a terrible faux pas

https://www.instagram.com/davedufournba/
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

It’s appreciated when photos are uploaded to the samba and linked. Way too often, links die to really good tech articles rendering the posts useless. It also makes it easier for other members to link to photos in the gallery, when a question comes up. But no rule against it. Just courtesy. Plus, I don’t click on links.
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

That's fair.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

Nice!

How's the panel/board mounted to the stock cluster cover? I'd like to see build pics if you've got them.

There's no way to view the video from your IG story through that link. Maybe if you're logged in? You might upload it to vimeo or somewhere else and share it that way.
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Nice!

How's the panel/board mounted to the stock cluster cover? I'd like to see build pics if you've got them.

There's no way to view the video from your IG story through that link. Maybe if you're logged in? You might upload it to vimeo or somewhere else and share it that way.

The panel is just mounted with tivek tape for now. I've got some ideas for permanent mounting though.

Honestly, it's very straight forward. Used a router to shape out some wood, cut some holes.

The goal is to make something from aluminum or abs that is freestanding with support for the top cover.

If anyone knows of suitable replacement light switches, let me know.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

How are they at night? Are the gauges deep enough into the hood to keep a glare off the windshield at night?

Hans
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

Looking good!

Did you get a chance to confirm your fuel level is the latest 10min filter constant?

hdenter wrote:
How are they at night? Are the gauges deep enough into the hood to keep a glare off the windshield at night?

Hans

Yeah it'll be a non issue, the angle of the dash and windshield keeps the glare off... At least in my experience

I have a little bit of night glare in the windshield from my digital ashtray gauge (the speed hut gauge with the needle seems to have enough depth to just barely get away with not much glare) but none from the main cluster

Mine as well again for posterity

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

I checked them in the dark and they are perfect.

I haven't checked the fuel, but it is exactly the same reading as the stock gauge right now.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's my take on a dashboard with Speedhut gauges Reply with quote

It'll be the rate of change rather than the stationary reading, but if it doesn't bug you all good... Otherwise definitely send it in and they'll fix it. It's also possible depending on when it was built that it already has the larger filter constant in it already.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: