Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi bolt on valve cover seals.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Al
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

Short question, where can one buy them?

Been making them out of Neoprene faucet washers. I bore them out to 5/16" and just screw them on the bolt.

Tried "O" rings and other hardware store items and they leak.

Al in Tucson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

https://www.mcmaster.com/ring-seals/oil-resistant-rubber-sealing-washers/

This is what you need. Get the VITON ones. Make sure the valve cover and bolt or exposed studs are clean enough to eat on. Make sure the washer is a tight fit onto the stud. I would install dry first. Some might use a smidge of Loctite 518, three bond 1184, or even silicone on the stud and under the sealing washer but I would see if it leaks first before taking those extra measures, as they shouldn't be necessary IMO.
Big Al
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

Found some Neoprene size 0 faucet seat washers in my plumbing stuff. Bored them out to 5/16" and put it together. Hope they work at least until I can get something better.

I did find the correct size Viton washers in the link from evenfrucht but need to order them and wait.

My rig has EMPI valve covers that take the C channel gaskets. Had to use a cork gasket on one side as the gasket broke. With a cork gasket it's a pain to get the gasket under the cover properly. Ordered the right ones, $12 a set.

Al in Tucson. Should be the lone rider...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

Big Al wrote:
Found some Neoprene size 0 faucet seat washers in my plumbing stuff. Bored them out to 5/16" and put it together. Hope they work at least until I can get something better.

I did find the correct size Viton washers in the link from evenfrucht but need to order them and wait.

My rig has EMPI valve covers that take the C channel gaskets. Had to use a cork gasket on one side as the gasket broke. With a cork gasket it's a pain to get the gasket under the cover properly. Ordered the right ones, $12 a set.

Al in Tucson. Should be the lone rider...

Nice

The problem with neoprene is it will crank and dry up relatively quickly. Doesnt help being exposed to the elements somewhat and also the engine heat and fluids take their toll. Should work temporarily tho.

You could maybe find Viton washers, or sheet (punch out your own?) locally if you call around

...But honestly that company has been around forever and they sell quality stuff. The prices are good and also they ship quick. I recieve all my orders literally the next day. I'm in California tho, it might take an extra day for you. ONE TURNOFF about the online ordering process with them is that they don't tell you how much the shipping costs until it actually ships. But the catch is.... the shipping charge ends up much cheaper than anywhere else in my experience.

Good that you got the correct gaskets for those covers.

I like original stock covers but to each his own Very Happy
They are simple and look good, plus no extra leak spots. I like the design.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

Bolt on valve covers are the problem.

Stock work just fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

I don't have empi covers. ..but do have cheap generic bolt ons.
I did have to spot face the bolt contact point on the covers.

But

I use hydraulic Stat-O-Seals and button head or flange head bolts.
Works well .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

O-rings

https://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-size-203-minimum-25-pcs/

Gasket

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SILICONE-Valve-Cover-Gasket-T1-2-3-Pair-VW-1-p/vw-1.htm

Looky, looky! No more leaky!
Big Al
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

So far no leaks from the faucet washers. Hope they hold until the next valve adjustment.

Al in Tucson
Big Al
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi bolt on valve cover seals. Reply with quote

So far no leaks from the faucet washers. Hope they hold until the next valve adjustment.

Al in Tucson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: