Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snorkelfork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

Cream material all over my "Westy" is so stained, pealing and torn that it's sickening to look at but I'm afraid to remove it without knowing what I'll find beneath it.

1. Anyone one have detailed photo's of what's under the vinyl glued to the B pillars and over the windows?

Is it punched full of a lot of holes and ugly seams?

2. Has anyone wrapped this in new material? Seen that proposed but haven't found examples.

Preciate you,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

You can dye or paint the vinyl trim if you're not into removing and replacing it. Won't fix torn parts unless you can glue the tear or loose part down ,but WILL greatly improve the look of glue stained vinyl trim if that's what you're seeing with your Vanagon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not a Westy, but our Tin Top after painting the headliner and trim last year.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

I had such bad Glue Stains bleeding through the White Perforated Vinyl on our Vanagon that I had to try the paint or Dye route to get rid of them. Another shot of the work in progress.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
snorkelfork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.

Mines in such poor shape that I don't believe that this is the right path for me.

I did turn up a thorough conversation on the topic which helped to see what I'm up against.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

there isn't much under the vinyl. Flat overlap seams in the sheet metal , some bolt holes. Look at some of the body and paint threads , should find what you are after. The glue is the worst thing under the vinyl Confused .
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

under B pillars,
that glue is really stubborn

The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

If you are doing an in depth paint job, then perhaps just paint the pillars and window bottoms. Like the doors and rear hatch.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

Striped interior:

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

The Carrot wrote:
If you are doing an in depth paint job, then perhaps just paint the pillars and window bottoms. Like the doors and rear hatch.

Thats what I've got going on, not for some people. As stated flat seams, screw holes, and spot welds.

When I do upholstery work I tell people I DONT DO STRIPES, if you make me it will cost double.
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for pics of stripped Vanagon interior Reply with quote

how did you remove the glue from under the vinyl around the windows?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: