Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Last time I did this was about 1985. What confuses me is the auto trans mounting. Why does the trans have to be supported while removing the engine only? Is the trans not supported by the cross members above it? Seems to me if I have disconnected all wiring, cables, 4 bell housing nuts, the three torque convertor bolts, and disconnect the engine hanger the motor should then just pull straight back with the floor jack. Am I not seeing this procedure correctly? Before I try anything I want to make damn sure I don’t screw up.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Still trying to drop the engine only and finding info on this is really sketchy. I took a photo of the mid trans hanger and the mounting bolts. I believe that I have to remove a bolt or two bolts to lower the trans a bit so I can slide the engine back and out with a floor jack. The photo is taken on the driver side almost straight up at the end of the trans hanger. Is it the copper colored nut that I should remove? Is it accessed through the engine firewall trim? I think it is all coming back to me now...
Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

OK....slow down! Wink

There are NUMEROUS important adjustments for engine position and drive train alignment.

They want the transmission supported so you do not damage the tail cone bushing or let the torque converter or oil pump driveshafts fall out. Also...letting it hang from the tail distorts the case. Its less of an issue with the automatic...but can fatally damage the four speed.

There are SEVERAL ways to remove the transmission midpoint mounting. How you do it requires more or less position adjustments to be re-done.

1. This one is the simplest....to get the transmission out but is THE LEAST recommended
Pull the two rubber plugs from the forward engine firewall backing tin....and support the transmission and take weight off the two bolts you see. Remove those bolts....and lower the engine and transmission down. These two bolts go through the center of the rubber bushings on the transmission hanger ears.

The problem is that as the engine and transmission lower...they pivot around the rear/forward tailcone mount....and the transmission moves in an "ARC". As the bushings slide out of the ears...they get tight as they change angle.
Getting it back in this way...sucks...means prying and cursing...and can damage the bushings. I did it this way for years thinking it was the only way.

2. This one is the next in line and works well but is a bit of a pain to get the bolt holes re-aligned....but its not that bad. But God help you if you strip one of these bolts.....so I try not to do this unless I have to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the picture above.....the vertical bolt in the green circle...one on each side....NOT the gold colored one with the gold arrow pointing to it...are what you want to remove.
This allows the entire mounting bar to come away from the chassis with the transmission.

NOTE: the gold arrow is pointing to a slot in the crossmember. If you take that bolt loose on either end...you disturb the side-to-side adjustment of the drive train position. Leave those bolts alone.

3. This method is one of the best. Its what I use:

Note in the picture above...the bolt on the right hand side with the red arrow...part #18. There are two of these on each side...vertical bolts....10mm I think.

These bolt the mounting bushings/brackets to the chassis mounted carrier bar. If you support the transmission.....and pull both bolts on both sides.....the transmission drops straight down. I use two 12" ratchet extension bars while laying on my back.....with a breaker bar to crack teh bolts loose...and then ratchet them out.

IMPORTANT NOTE:...notice the part in the red circle on the right hand side....part #24. These are shims that are clamped between the bushing brackets and the chassis mounting bar. They are VERY IMPORTANT. They set the alignment of the engine and transmission in the vertical plane at the mounting bar.
There may be a different shim in each side or one side may have one and the other not...or there may be more than one shim on either side. Mark them for the side they came out of...bag them...put them in the glove box....and do not lose them.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Ah yes! It’s all coming back to me now. I only pulled the engine two times and that was way back in the ‘80’s. I always used method #1 and never any ill effects. I certainly did not know though that there were so many critical adjustments and alignments! I always am in the habit of marking positions when taking things apart. Maybe that’s why I have very few problems. I will stay away from “GOD HEIP ME” method #2...LOL! Maybe I’ll go with #3. I am pulling the engine first but the trans will come out also for resealing etc. There will be no shortcuts on this 412. Thanks for getting back to me...you are the MAN!
Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Method # 2 is not bad....its just that on e hour start jacking the engine up until tje bar makes contact with the chassis....the hole in tbe bar and hole on the chassis rarely line up. Hou have to jiggle and slew things around....and you want you make sure the bolt goes in straight.

#3.....is really good.....it has a small amount of jiggling but the mounts flex a little. You put one bolt in on each side.....with the shim(s) on that bolt. This locates it and keeps it from falling out. The other end of the shim is slotted so you put in tjat bolt and then swing the shim sideways to the bolt and then tighten everything up.

The advantage of #3 os that the mounting ears and bushings stay on the transmission in the same positions.

The upper horizontal alot adjusting bolt is there to allow side to side movememt of the whole package....to make sure the side gaps on the tail cone bushing are correct. You alao have side to sixe adjustments on the ends of the rear hanger bar. You alao have bertical adjustments on the rear hanger bar to adjust the vertical gaps on the tail cone bushing and to prevent exceasive load on the middle nar bushings and control the crush of the center rear hanger bar bushings.....for which there is a apec.

Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

I'm glad to see this information, because I'm strongly considering removing my engine and transmission for the same reasons. I personally can't do it by myself. I have competent VW vintage help available, but not Type 4 oriented. There is a post about removing the engine, but so far I can't find it. I remember in that post there was instruction not to remove a certain bolt. I need to know which one. Bob
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

I'm going to remove the engine in my auto 412, too - glad you guys are discussing how to do it! I've been removing all the tin and exhaust and intake parts ahead of time, so it will be just the long block that comes out. Hopefully that makes it easier.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
I'm going to remove the engine in my auto 412, too - glad you guys are discussing how to do it! I've been removing all the tin and exhaust and intake parts ahead of time, so it will be just the long block that comes out. Hopefully that makes it easier.

You don’t have to remove any of the tin. Removing as much of the topside stuff like the injection, intake runners, and intake plenum is helpful. The exhaust mufflar and maifolds are also good to remove because it makes the engine lighter and less bulky. Also removing the exhaust “cheese grater” gives you more clearance.

Bill
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Does this information work for automatic transmission too? Bob
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Dropping a ‘74 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Hey There,

Guess what - I'm next. Getting ready to remove the engine and Auto-trans from my 412 wagon. So, after all that great information ya'll shared question. I've been told that pulling both at the same time is a must or easier. Is that the best way ? My end game is to replace the auto-trans with a manual from a donor car

Cave
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘74 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

CAVEHEAD wrote:
Hey There,

Guess what - I'm next. Getting ready to remove the engine and Auto-trans from my 412 wagon. So, after all that great information ya'll shared question. I've been told that pulling both at the same time is a must or easier. Is that the best way ? My end game is to replace the auto-trans with a manual from a donor car

Cave

Yes....pulling them as a unit causes the least problems and potential damage.

The car needs to be jack up with wheels on with about 3" of space under each tire to make this super easy . If you have wheel ramps and a high lift floor jack you got it. If the jack is not so high lift....keep some thick blocks of wood around.

Either way, before actually separating the two you have to remove the 3 torque converter bolts.....and then rig up a method to keep the torque converter and shafts connected to the trans so they do not fall off, leak fluid, bend shafts or decouple the center shaft from the transmission oil pump......all of which is bad for the transmission.

So the easier way to take all of this out as a unit....is to disconnect the harness, fuel lines, heater boxes duct tubes, throttle cable etc.....and up top remove oil breather and distributor cap. Remove cheese grater at the back. Remove cooling air duct.

Jack placed right about where flywheel is. Loosen the two 8mm cross bolts at each end of the rear hanger bar. Unbend the lock plates on those bolts and loosen but do not yet remove the nuts.
Going off memory here, but you will need to loosen the lower vertical nut at each end of the hanger bar to take pressure off of the two cross bolts to be able to remove them. But do not yet remove them.

Now.....scroll back through this thread to the point where you find the diagram....on 0ctober 14th 2020.

Pick one of those three methods of releasing the mid point hanger. I like #3.

Just be sure you have not removed any of the bolts at the ends of the rear hanger bar yet. Once you release the mid hanger....all of the weight will be resting on the tail cone and rear hanger bar.
So first put the floor jack under the trans and engine....give it about 1/4" lift to remove pressure.....remove the four vertical bolts as listed in method #3.....and make sure you collect the shims fron each side....mark and bag them for what side they came from and put then in the glove box.

Now remove the two 8mm cross bolts at each end of the rear hanger bar. Now remove the nut from the vertical stud at each end of the rear hanger bar....but do NOT remove or even turn the nut on the vertical stud that is ABOVE the hanger bar.....this is an adjustment.........now the whole drive train package is free.

By the way, the floor jack needs to be aligned straight fore and aft so it rolls straight and amooth you can pull the whole package rearward.

Lower it straight down until the rear hanger bar clears the vertical studs. Pull the whole package rearward about 3" until the rubber bumper know on the transmission tailcone bushing clears the bore. At this point you will instantly know if the fuel injection runners are going to bump the rear sheet metal. Lower just a bit more and pull the whole package out.

Usually the biggest issue at this point is balance of the whole package on the floor jack. Once the rear transmission bushing clears the bore....if the floor jack is not placed perfectly.....the rear end of the transmission either wants to tip up or down.

If it only shifts in the fore and aft axis....you are lucky! A lot of times the package wants to slip sideways as well. So....I use a block of wood about 2" thick and about 1 foot square made of screwed together 2x4 or 1 x4.... both work....to give a larger pad. Also keeping a flat furniture dolly around with a few wood blocks to slip under either the trans....rear of engine or one side of the engine....to arrest whichever way it is tipping in the jack and aow the whole package to roll outward....really helps.

Usually at this point in time....stop and assess EXACTLY where your jack needs to be placed next time for good balance.

Interestingly.....putting the whole thing back in works better by putting the transmission in first and then applying the engine....on my experience. Ray
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Hey Ray,

You are the man, a cornucopia of 411 and 412 information and instructions. Have you ever thought of putting all your help and instructions based on your years of posts on Samba in a book or Q&A web site "Type 4 tips and tricks" ? I would buy it or subscribe to the site right now

Best Regards
Cave Head
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

CAVEHEAD wrote:
Hey Ray,

You are the man, a cornucopia of 411 and 412 information and instructions. Have you ever thought of putting all your help and instructions based on your years of posts on Samba in a book or Q&A web site "Type 4 tips and tricks" ? I would buy it or subscribe to the site right now

Best Regards
Cave Head

Very Happy ...or since virtually all of its here....I could just post a complete list of links to my "how to's"

Ray
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

Perfect Idea , please Smile post the links - Where is the "How-To" section ? Cave
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dropping a ‘73 automatic wagon engine Reply with quote

CAVEHEAD wrote:
Perfect Idea , please Smile post the links - Where is the "How-To" section ? Cave

It will be a couple of days. My laptop succumbed to the "black screen of death" yesterday.....working on it.
I have copies of my how to list elsewhere but it may not be fully up to date.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: