Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Swing Arm
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

Here’s the visual story of last weekend’s DIY project: a bumper swing arm on the van for carrying bikes, tools, and more.

Started the process with a GW tow pkg rear bumper that I reinforced in the corner, and an upper GW ladder. However, the steep price-tag, lack of robust features, and lower weight limit on GW's swing arm kit made the case for a custom swing arm. Given I had the GW items as new-to-us at a discount but am function-focused and not brand loyal, I considered the VanCafe or Burley sheet metal swing away on the rear upper van pillar, but ultimately decided to stick with a straightforward bumper swing arm build.

Used a 1/4” dual sheer steel bracket, massive 2 3/8 collar, and greased internal bearings on a 3/8” grade eight bolt, suitably overbuilt. The swing arm is 2x3” 1/8” tube also with grade 8 bolts for the removable upper ladder. The swing arm locks at 90 and 110 deg when open, plus an interior latch that drops into a new hole in the bumper: both latches are welded up but use replaceable spring based pins for security and longevity.

I ended up needing to tweak and bend the swing arm top plate to match the GW ladder base's angle, a factor I hadn't originally considered. It didn't look pretty at first but after paint and in practice it works fine with the ladder, and without the ladder it easily attaches to our XL aluminum tool box with another bracket I fabbed up.

A primary emphasis of this swing arm is hauling family bikes, specifically the monster heavy SurlyBigDummy cargo bike via a modified Yakima FrontLoader, while still being able to tow the raft trailer. Total materials cost was about $150, and I'll also recommend the new Titanium 125 flux mig welder from Harbor Freight, picked up to complement my old Lincoln stick welder. The 125 is surprisingly robust, super lightweight with lots of adjustability; it did great on thinner steel at a significant price savings compared to a name-brand flux mig set-up. Looking forward to using the 125 on a roof rack tube build for the hightop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

Nice work. I used the same hinge for a 2 sided rack on my van. They're fantastic Smile

Available here if anyone's interested:

https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Assembly_p_109.html

There is a right and left side available. Not cheap, but they'll hold up a team of horses.

Robyn
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

That's freaking great work man!

All for a Big Dummy, nonetheless.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

Very nice! I'd love to see a closeup and parts list for your top latch

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

The top latch is what came to mind for me as well. I think on both the RMW and GW swingy-outs the top latch could be improved, perhaps by clamping or bolting a more positive engagement point to the top of the hatch. Just latching to the top of the hatch is a wear point. The vinyl on the latch wears through then there's metal on metal touching. I have RMW racks and they're outstanding but I'd point to that latch as being 1 step behind the quality of the rest of the rack.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Very nice! I'd love to see a closeup and parts list for your top latch

The ladder top latch is GoWesty’s design. I had to bend it to fit the hightop orientation and my custom swing out dimensions: metal alloy seems decent.

I’m considering a latch upgrade; something along the lines of a Destaco J Hook with locking mechanism.

Seems a gold standard latch atop the rear hatch, for tall ladders, would be a bolt or t hook attached into the sheet metal, but that would require drilling and fabrication with close tolerances that still allow for rear hatch opening.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

Love it when people build their own stuff.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

BCGee if you're still around ... so the spring loaded pin you're using to hold the swing to the bumper ... is that holding up well?

It's the same one as the hold out for the arm when opened and i'm in the middle of a build now and hadn't thought of that option.

Been contrasting and comparing the various latches like you were considering, but haven't settled on one yet. Some are way too long for my liking. Especially for up top ...

I've got my bumper all welded up and I made a swing away hinge from scratch but am still working through securing it when closed.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

I have this pin. Seems pretty awesome. I will be adding another modification to my bumper soon.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Components-AI1-2...6P6Y8753NF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Swing Arm Reply with quote

Anyone ever try bolting a hinge like this to a RMW bumper at the existing chain loop mounting points? I just want to mount a water and Bas container - not a heavy tire or bike.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: