Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Front End Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Front CV axle nut loose is bad.
That destroys the bearing and the hub.
Bearing is replaceable, Syncro hubs are NLA.
Hard to find replacements, and expensive.

Every Syncro owner should check that nut to be sure its tight.
258 lbs on a one-foot bar = 258 ft-lbs
129 lbs on a 2 foot bar = 258 ft-lbs
190 lbs on a 18” bar = 258 ft-lbs

Thanks for the details! Yeah checking that front nut is now part of the checklist. I’m no expert but it seems like the wheel bearing is slightly loose, I’m hoping it’s just the bearing (already have a wheel bearing replacement on the way). The hub wiggles a tiny bit. I can’t try to get it on video but I don’t know if it’ll really show anything special.
What’s a good way to make sure the hub is ok?
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

T3TRIS wrote:

Constant diameter all the way across, thru both bearing races.
Its a light press fit into the bearing.
See link thst I added to previous post.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
T3TRIS wrote:

Constant diameter all the way across, thru both bearing races.
Its a light press fit into the bearing.
See link thst I added to previous post.

Well this is all fun... not so much. I’m still fighting the driver side LCA bolt that seems to be rust-welded to the inner sleeve of the bushing, fun stuff again! About to take a grinding wheel to it.

I’ll have to separate the hub from the bearings (never done anything like it before) and see how it looks. I started reading through your post, I’ll measure what we have. Hopefully we noticed it quickly enough (not 30,000 miles later) that it’s salvageable.

Never easy is it!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261708#9261708

I posted a bunch of pics of replacing the wheel bearing if you want to get a preview of what you're in for. At some point down the road I ended up getting an acetylene torch. It's invaluable with really stuck parts. I wish I had it at the time I did the wheel bearings.

Good luck.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261708#9261708

I posted a bunch of pics of replacing the wheel bearing if you want to get a preview of what you're in for. At some point down the road I ended up getting an acetylene torch. It's invaluable with really stuck parts. I wish I had it at the time I did the wheel bearings.

Good luck.

Wow that’s really awesome actually, thanks! I got a bearing puller, ball joint kit and full set of bearing adapters. I’m hoping I can get it all done without a press... not sure if I’m dreaming or not but adding a press in the garage, though tempting, isn’t in the books right now. Neither is acetylene torch setup. However I have a ridiculously powerful propane torch, hopefully that’ll provide enough heat!

It’s almost 10pm here and I’m still working on all this and chasing parts online at the same time. Quality lower ball joints are hard to source!

So far I have every big part out and separated. Now I need to remove all the bushings from the UCA and LCA, a couple lower ball joints (uppers were easy), the studs and the bearings of course.

That driver side LCA bolt was a PITA. It’s rust-welded inside the bushing sleeve and the sleeve is so tight inside the bushing that I couldn’t get it out. Tried heat, penetrating oil, hammer and chisel, C-clamp etc. Had to use an angle grinder and cut the bolt on both sides of the bushings. Probably lost a few years of life because of the burning bushing smell (I did wear a mask). Even after I finally got the LCA out it fought me to get out of the bushing!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Well, this job is kicking my butt! Suspension, joints and bushings is tough work especially when you’ve never done it before!

I got stuck with the UCA bushings. I need to go to the hardware store to make some parts work together. Haven’t tried the wheel bearings yet.

I did remove the LCA bushings after a bit of fighting. Looks like the driver side (the one with the stick bolt) got a little damaged from my work to cut the bolt. It also looks like that area has been worked/welded before. The whole is not perfect, with a raised area toward the edge. Passenger side looks good.

Should I be worried about this?
More images:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Don't worry about it, that's not going to affect anything.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Don't worry about it, that's not going to affect anything.

Finally some good news! I might just smoothen the edge a little then. Also, I’m planning on a powerflex bushing there, that doesn’t change anything to the “don’t worry about it?”
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

T3TRIS wrote:

Finally some good news! I might just smoothen the edge a little then.

id knock it down a little and make it smooth if theres some built up scuzz and dings there. no worries.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

No it doesn't. Just make sure to grease the crap out of them. If you don't, you'll have to pull them and then grease them anyway because the squeaking will drive you nuts.

Ask me how I know. My friends joke about how much I love doing things twice. Mad

Have you done the rear trailing arms yet? I had to cut those bolts out, they were completely seized to the bushing like your driver side LCA bolt.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
No it doesn't. Just make sure to grease the crap out of them. If you don't, you'll have to pull them and then grease them anyway because the squeaking will drive you nuts.

Ask me how I know. My friends joke about how much I love doing things twice. Mad

Have you done the rear trailing arms yet? I had to cut those bolts out, they were completely seized to the bushing like your driver side LCA bolt.

Yep... I too have done things a couple times, or cheaped out and had to purchase again, but the right stuff. Right now I can't get my hands on MOOG lower ball joints for some reason!

I haven't done the trailing arms yet, those are probably the last bushings left that I'd have to replace. This is the first time I've done work that requires pressing things in and out, using a variety of tools. UCA's got me stuck, I have to go to the hardware store to get some metal pipes or see what Harbor Freight has to offer (I already have several of their kits).

Maybe it is time for a press after all... I want one but there isn't room in the garage. But there isn't room in the garage because I'm a messy worker leaving stuff all over the place.
So if I get a press, I have to clean up some space right?
And if the space is taken by a tool, that means I can't be as messy in that area, right?
And if I can't be as messy in that area, that means I WILL have to put stuff away as I work on projects, right?
And that finally means that I need to fill the garage with more and more and more tools, right?

I've finally figured it out!!

PS: looks like dealing with this front end and trying to buy lower ball joints at 1:30am is making me loopy... or smart, I don't know anymore. Speaking of, third seller out of 3 on eBay that tell me they don't have Lemfröder or MOOG lower ball joints AFTER I place an order. I'm going crazy here!
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

if youre already at HF picking up a press (their 20t ones are great, and go on sale sometimes for ~$100) grab a few casters and throw them on. it makes it a lot easier to shove it into a corner until the next time you need to use it!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
if youre already at HF picking up a press (their 20t ones are great, and go on sale sometimes for ~$100) grab a few casters and throw them on. it makes it a lot easier to shove it into a corner until the next time you need to use it!

Alright alright, I folded under pressure and bought a 20-ton press (blame my bad humor on lack of sleep). I also bought a bunch of piping and large conduit joints from Lowe's and also purchased anything that Harbor Freight sold that looked like it could help.

Given that the van won't be ready for the trip we had planned, I had to chase some longterm issues I've had with my 2009 Subaru Outback heavy oil consumption (just in case someone is knowledgeable with an EJ25 making about 2.4qts of oil disappear every 1,000 miles).

Anyhow, the press is still in its box laying in the garage. I'm hoping to assemble it today and press everything out of the LCA, UCA and upright. Since we're not in a hurry anymore, I figured I might as well do the work (more) right and get these parts, including the radius rods, sandblasted and re-powder coated (our van has a history of rust).

By the way, I ended up not going with the Burley UCA. It looks like a fine piece of machinery but I was able to get my hands on a set of bushings and with all the added $$, it doesn't make that much sense anymore.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Just an fyi because this tripped me up when I first put my van back together. The UCAs are directional. It is very easy to flip them upside down. The ball joint should be just forward of the strut, not behind. If it's upside and the ball joint is behind the strut, you will have alignment issues.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Just an fyi because this tripped me up when I first put my van back together. The UCAs are directional. It is very easy to flip them upside down. The ball joint should be just forward of the strut, not behind. If it's upside and the ball joint is behind the strut, you will have alignment issues.

Thanks for the reminder! I think I stumbled across your post (if it was yours) about having the 2 UCA's in different orientation. I promised myself to keep them on the same sides and in the correct orientation. But they both ended up in a bucket with penetrating oil as soon as the bushings gave me a fight and I have no idea which is which now Razz haha
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Yeah, that was me, haha. The sides don't matter, just flip them so the ball joint is forward.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Harbor freight sponsorship anyone?

This is typical me: I don’t want to add a press to the shop, not enough space... darn it, I need a press... [proceeds to get everything]
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

T3TRIS wrote:
This is typical me: I don’t want to add a press to the shop, not enough space... darn it, I need a press... [proceeds to get everything]

The worst thing is two parts:
    1) thinking of all the other times you needed it and didn't have it.
    2) after finishing your task, thinking that you'll rarely use it again.

At least you can help more Vanagon friends.
But regarding a hydraulic press, the friends need to park in your shop for a few days (weeks).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
T3TRIS wrote:

The worst thing is two parts:
    1) thinking of all the other times you needed it and didn't have it.
    2) after finishing your task, thinking that you'll rarely use it again.

At least you can help more Vanagon friends.
But regarding a hydraulic press, the friends need to park in your shop for a few days (weeks).

Haha, true (all of) that! I’ve already sent offers to help out locally, but they’ll have to bring their own parts over or be OK with their van parked for a while under a very VERY sappy doug fir. At least it’s cold now.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front End Rebuild Reply with quote

Just finished pressing all the ball joints, bushings and bearings out of the front suspension components, that was fun! First time using a press, terrifying but loved it.

I have no idea if the passenger side hub is damaged or not yet. I didn’t get to remove the inner bearing race yet (pretty tough but I saw a post about someone creating a groove into the race, seems easy enough). Anyhow, that’s how they looked when I removed them. Somehow looks like the passenger side hub got corroded, would it mean there was some gap maybe? I’ll try to remove the races tomorrow.
Driver side:

Passenger side:

Both:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: