Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

More work on the window regulators. Turns out the first one I grabbed was the greasiest.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nicely cleaned up though:

The inherited Swabs from my late mother came in handy:

To take the regulator apart, you just need a screwdriver to bend open the tabs:

Previous owner left some stuff behind that was useful:

Now the big question, which one of these products do I use to lubricate everything before reassembling?

Cheers,
Walter
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Looking good Walt.

Last edited by ClassicCamper on Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

The problem is in the winder unit. Crimping the tubesworks...is a Band-Aid....but does not fix the issue which is wear and slop in the gear cog assembly. Look at the splined part the winder handle fits on.....and wiggle it and look at how much slop has worn around that shaft and teh sheet metal housing.

It allows the shaft to cock sideways and takes pressure off of the spring.

The only way I have found to fix it is to drill out he rivets, clean everything up and peen the sheet metal to make it a tighter fit. I have also been thinking about making a thin brass bushing to fit around the winder shaft to take up slack.

For the lubricants....you want something that does NOT thicken in cold weather or you will have a tough time winding the windows up and it tears up the winder cogs.

ATF works well....also the superlube synthetic oil...not the grease...works well.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Thank you for confirming Ray. I went ahead with the Superlube. Everything seems to work very smooth at the moment. We'll see how it behaves during the final installation.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Another small detail...the interior light. Looked pretty bad before:

Used some fine 0000 Steel Wool and it cleaned up quite nicely.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Additional shelves for my new addition to the car collection:

Quick road trip from Abbotsford to Logan Lake, BC. The scenery was spectacular yesterday.

Loaded up the '73 412 into the rental trailer. Got it for $800 CAD as the owner had removed both the engine and the transmission.

Outside the shed where all the fun starts again!

Under the front hood--amazing how nice the underside is!

Some previous body work, but still okay to work with.

I have been given strict instructions to not tear this car apart as it will be used to measure panels, and hoods for the blue car restoration. Maybe I'll just do a bit of cleaning here and there.

Cheers,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Wow! That front bumper looks really good. They are so hard to find.

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Not that it matters now, but the front tires were flat by Monday morning. This tire shown here, was so bad I poked my finger through the sidewall. Amazing the air held for the 3 hour drive on Saturday. Tie down straps were all tight on arrival!

My bodyman came by yesterday and picked up the front trunk lid and the engine lid. Everything looks good to him. He reiterates, "This was a good buy!" It also allows us to check things when we start rebuilding the Blue 412.

The organ transplants will happen soon...

Walter
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Your engine lid has the common cancer. It needs to be fixed.

I have a couple of methods in mind that have been years in planning Laughing .....

The big issue is that it has "death foam" inside around the edgea. Also it gets packed up between its double walls inside and collects leaves and dirt and clogs the drains and rusts from the inside out.

Simplest method if you dont want to do any cutting and welding.....and this is a difficult weld because ita thin metal.....and any lumpiness or waviness is bery visible in this part......is probably to clean it out...use wires and hooks through small holes......and then dissolve the ruat with acid. Trim away metal that is too thin....then patch and sand smooth with low temperature body solder.

You "could" patch this with bondo.....but its a wet area with intake air coming through it and would rust again. Lead based body solder melts at a lower temp than lead free and lasts lomger with no corrosion than putty.

The complicated way I have been planning......is to mark the inner and outer panels of the lid. Then detach the two struts inside by drilling out their spot welds. Remove the outer akin from the inner skin. Clean and patch by spot weld and then make sure both skins are clean and straight before spot welding back together just enough for strength and then use small amounts of body solder to clean up any cosmetics of reassembly.

Ray
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Thank you Ray for your post. I will pass this information on to my bodyman. I'm sure he will have a solution for this. He's a pretty decent welder, but he also knows how to rustproof parts. Nevertheless, this trunk lid is in much better shape than the first one. So in that sense, we are making progress!

Cheers,
Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Moving along quite nicely with the "Nose Graft" via the yellow 412 donor car. Here is the car with the front trunk lid removed.

Bumper and right headlight removed as per instructions by my bodyman.

Right and left fenders nicely removed with cutting wheel.

Quick change in plans to cut off the whole front nose. Trimming very close to gas tank, using extreme CAUTION.

Removing gas tank from the top! Gas tank was completely drained years ago and there were no fumes. All openings were taped shut as well. I stood by with two fire extinguishers. Kids, don't try this at home!

We have a nose transplant!

Not a bad day's work,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Rockin’ n rollin now! No turning back either. Good work and just keep it up. Did you not want to save the front fenders?

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Yes to saving both right and left fenders. Mine were both damaged due to an accident near the turning lenses. The yellow ones are all good at that spot and will be welded in to the blue ones. We were not too concerned about the rust along the bottom. (And there is a lot of it!)

Kind of fun having the second 412 and not worrying about keeping every little piece. I was working on those crazy wheel arch trims. Lots of fun getting those nuts and nylon spacers out of there. So far I have recovered 15 nylon spacers and I think they are all there. The blue car, I only managed to get 1 spacer.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Some progress has been made. Engine is now ready.

Now we have to get going on the body work!

Cheers,
Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

After 2.5 months, I'm back! Seems like there were a lot of interruptions. Big flood in Sumas Prairie, small flood at home, wiring of LED lights in the shed, snow storm collapsing part of the greenhouse, and restoring a wheel barrow. Also my restorer was sick for a while. Alright, he has made a bit of progress on the dashboard, making a stencil for the transmission marking. He spray painted this and then clear coated.

He wants the radio out of the spare yellow 412, so that's what I attacked on Saturday. I have great confidence that he will be able to clean this up nicely.

Cheers,
Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

One more picture of the dashboard. Like new! Still have to put in all the parts.

Time to keep moving!
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

That is beautiful stencil work on the dash. You’re going to be one of the rare type 4 owners without any cracks in a dash! Nice job.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Is that actually cut "stencil" work? If so....it is very nicely done. I screen printed my last one. Much easier.

Ray
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Ray,
I believe it is actual stencil work. He does good work!

Walter
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Quote:
One more picture of the dashboard. Like new! Still have to put in all the parts.

Looking good, Walt! I noticed you have the heater timer on the dash - that is a beautiful instrument. Did it come with the car?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: