Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

19super73, yes that looks like a match! I'm amazed how these vehicles seem to be rough in all the same places. The front signals always seem to be knocked out. Let us all know if you are restoring yours.

Walter
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

I believe I have your twin, in Southern Alberta.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Walter,
Wow! You are moving right along. I have ordered some carpet samples from a company named Sewfine. Looks like they do VW’s only. Their photos of material looked very stock. I will let you know what I get.

Bill

I have samples from Sewfine as well. They have nice stuff!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Walter,
Wow! You are moving right along. I have ordered some carpet samples from a company named Sewfine. Looks like they do VW’s only. Their photos of material looked very stock. I will let you know what I get.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Hello Rob,
I've got paid friends helping me!

Walter
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Wow! That’s good progress you are making. 👏🏻👏🏻

BR,

Rob
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

More Wheelie stuff on Saturday, but relatively simple. What the wheels looked like before:

What the wheels look like on my work bench at home:

What the tire looks like mounted on the VW 412:

Even the spare tire looks pretty nice.

The VW 412 ready to be towed to Buny's 'N Bugs tomorrow for the engine and transmission removal and rebuild. (I know the spelling of this shop is unconventional. Something about only a certain number of letters fit on the fax machine when they were starting out in business!)

This should give me some more room in the shop for a while!
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Oh yes! The rechromer will want suitcases of money. I’m in the middle of that right now myself.

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

More bumper stuff. My rechromer called to tell me he has started and he wants money!

While I'm waiting for the wheels to be finished, I decided to clean up some wheel bolts. Before:

After brushing with a wire brush:

The door windows looked a bit dirty. So I cleaned them up a bit too.

Razor blade is a good instrument!

Cheers, Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Good progress Walter! I have not started any metal or body work yet. My body guy is too busy right now.

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

My restorer has been busy the last week. Wheels are media blasted.

He also got busy on some of the body panels.

To me that is very exciting. Once the engine is out and the whole body gets media blasted, that's a sign that everything moves forward again.

Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

I knew the late type 3 and type 4 REAR only (thru 1973) were interchangeable. The fronts are a 411 part only. So does the bumper bracket have to be modified or does it slide right in? I thought the bumper brackets were different.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Well that is easy! It’s so simple you don’t have to post any photos...and this is good info to know. Thanks!

Bill
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
I knew the late type 3 and type 4 REAR only (thru 1973) were interchangeable. The fronts are a 411 part only. So does the bumper bracket have to be modified or does it slide right in? I thought the bumper brackets were different.

Bill

On the brackets, they just slide in. The 412 bumper bracket had three holes for mounts and slid right in. One hole both the 412 and T3s used. Another hole was for use in a 412. The other hole was for use in a T3. So, it was setup for that. But, my T3 bumper bracket didn’t have the third hole drilled. So the bumper brackets may have to be “modified” depending on what they came off of but the extend of the modification is drilling one hole. Hopefully that makes sense. I can get some pictures of the difference.

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Bill
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Nice build so far!

For some of the bumper pieces, you may have a lot of options. The rear bumper and other pieces is exactly the same as the Type 3s. The only difference is the bumper bracket for the rear on T4s has one extra hole. For the bumper guards, you may be able get some NOS ones or good used ones. T3 and some of the T1 bumper guards may also fit. Here’s a 412 bumper on my T3 Squareback. It just bolted in please with no modifications. The old bumper is on the ground and the 412 one installed.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Saturday was another bumper day! Took the bumpers to the re-chromer last week but he gave me some homework...remove all the brackets and rubber. So here was my goal for the day.

This was the original front bumper. Fairly bad shape. Luckily the spare front bumper was better.

The original front bumper had a nice reinforcement inside. Took a while to shake out all the straw. It's a barn find after all!

Rear spare bumper with a tow bar and sheared off hitch. Wonder when that broke off! The original rear bumper is in better shape.

Luckily I have all four bumper overriders in varying condition. Getting the rubber strips off was a bit of a challenge. Finally I took them home and chiseled off a few speed nuts.

Drove to Mission, BC to Atomic Plating and delivered my (stripped) bumpers. I guess the real fun will be to find matching rubber strips for the bumpers and overriders.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Hello Bill,
Regarding the carpets, I haven't got a sample yet. I told my upholstery guy to match the originals. I'll let you know when I see the new carpet.

Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Yes, they were a dealer installed option. I have them also on the wagon. If you look closely the rubber impact part on the overriders has a VWoA stamping. Mine are still good to go.
Hey Walter, you say you have a good interior guy. Does he have connections to the original carpet material?. I am trying to get the same material so I can replace the fronts. The rest of my carpet is in great shape in the back so looking for a match. I have the black color with a bit of the salt and pepper.

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Abel,
I think they were dealer installed.

Walter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: