Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

The heater timer came with one of the dashboards I imported from Germany. I thought it would be a nice feature to have, even as a conversation piece.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Back again after an interlude. My restorer has been busy. Here are just a few of the photos.
The front end nose graft in blue and yellow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The two front fender corners to be grafted onto the blue 412.

The rear engine lid with patchwork.

The rear engine lid epoxied.

Front trunk epoxied.

Rear engine lid

Front fenders

Rear engine inside with paint

Front trunk lid with paint

Got to keep pushing this project!
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Amazing progress! The metal and body work is looking well done. I’s alot of work, much more than mine for sure. Just keep plugging away…

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

We have moved on from briefcase loads of money to boatloads! Here's the latest progress. Metal work all completed and the painting has started.

Next step will be to finish all the outside parts. Things are finally moving in the right direction. Hard to believe the front end is made up of a yellow car and a blue car!

Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Walter,

My oh my!!! I think you and I are shooting for 412s that are “ best in the west “. Your work is looking outstanding. With the work you are doing you are certainly a braver man than me…for sure! Keep up the good fight and when all is said and done we’ve got to get these VWs together.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Very nice! My first 411 was Alaska blue metallic like that!

Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Oh how nice this came out!!! Shocked
Good work, will become a very cool blue car!

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Looking amazing!
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Amazing work! Any updates?
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Hello ChicagoVW and others, I keep getting sidetracked with car shows, etc. Yes the painter has been busy. And reassembly has started. Here are some photos of his amazing work.

Here he kept the sticker intact and taped over it.

The masking tape removed.

Close up of the back end...nice!

Before and after of the gas flap. Decals were removed and then replaced just as crooked as before!

In the meantime, the gas tank and fuel lines are in and we are working on getting the electrical harness cleaned up.

Cheers,
Walter
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Sorry for drooling on your fresh paint.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Sorry for drooling on your fresh paint.

Yep! My sentiments exactly!

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Walter! Cooool blue. The car is coming along nicely. That Alaska Blue and my Maya Gold metallic are gonna look fantastic side by side Smile . Can’t wait to get them together. It’s good that we live fairly close together. I went ahead and reproduced my vin decal. There is a reproduction business (of all places), in BC that does them exact. Most of their business is Porsche, luckily the 914 decals are the same as type 4’s. Only you supply them with your car’s specs. You cannot tell the difference.

Bill
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful...can't wait to see it as it progresses.
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Hello again. I wish I had more to report each week. My restorer has been working on the turn signals. Looks like he took two bad ones and made one good one on the right. The left one is fine...just needs some cleaning.

The driver's headlight bezel and lights installed.

Cheers,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Ah yes, the front turn signal lenses. The left side is the hard one to find if you have to replace. I found a really nice one on classifides so I got lucky. The other side is more available. If they are not cracked or faded they clean up very nicely. Be careful when you tighten down the lenses, they like to crack around the screw holes. Looking good!

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

If you are looking to clean up a lens that is otherwise structurally in great shape....more of an aesthetic thing....A trick I learned from an Australian guy on YouTube (Marti's Matchbox Makeovers)....a guy who restores old Matchbox cars.....

He starts polishing the hazy areas with "Autosol" fine metal polish (like silver polish in a tube). This is mainly to restore "transparency"

Then after washing and drying you can see all of the little fine cracks or "crazing".

He then dips the whole piece into liquid "self shining floor polish" like long life in Australia and the UK or Safeguard 801 off amazon. There are probably many that work. In the old days it was like Future liquid floor wax from Johnson and Johnson.

This liquid fills in the fine cracks and puts a gloss surface on it. He dries it under a cover to keep dust off. Great technique for the car show guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-RpQqQXCl0

His windscreen resto starts right at 11:30 in that video.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
If you are looking to clean up a lens that is otherwise structurally in great shape....more of an aesthetic thing....A trick I learned from an Australian guy on YouTube (Marti's Matchbox Makeovers)....a guy who restores old Matchbox cars.....

He starts polishing the hazy areas with "Autosol" fine metal polish (like silver polish in a tube). This is mainly to restore "transparency"

Then after washing and drying you can see all of the little fine cracks or "crazing".

He then dips the whole piece into liquid "self shining floor polish" like long life in Australia and the UK or Safeguard 801 off amazon. There are probably many that work. In the old days it was like Future liquid floor wax from Johnson and Johnson.

This liquid fills in the fine cracks and puts a gloss surface on it. He dries it under a cover to keep dust off. Great technique for the car show guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-RpQqQXCl0

His windscreen resto starts right at 11:30 in that video.

Ray
Now that sounds like a trick I could use on my rear lenses to get rid of that “hazy” look.
Bill
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

That sounds like a trick that Quantum owners with the US style dual headlight setup could use for the turn signal lenses, which faded...I found a NOS pair for my '82 Coupe but they are super hard to find!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

The floor wax thing I do not know how outdoor UV permanent it is....but then again it should do no harm.

On the other hand I should have remembered and mentioned this. Two weeks ago I finally took a few hours out to re-store the yellowed headlights on my 2012 Golf.

They were really cutting down on night vision. My Golf just rolled over 250,000 miles yesterday!

So I heavily researched ...which headlight resto kit to get.

So the 3M is the best overall kit with the best selection of sanding media.

BUT....oddly....3M's kit while it has a sealer topcoat...whose job it is to do exactly what we are speaking of here...fill in the fine crazing and make it glossy and clear....3M's liquid sealer does NOT have a UV blocker in it Confused ...like WTF?

The best kit on the market for that hands down is the Sylvania kit.

So I bought both kits. I can fully attest to the fact that the Sylvania liquid which takes 10 seconds to apply properly.....absolutely looks amazing and works ...and has a UV blocker.

But it IS a solvent based varnish. So you need to put it on clean.

I do have some left...probably enough to do a pair of turn signal lenses. Give me a couple days and I may do a comparison. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: