Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Walter, I am so jealous of that new sparkling dashboard. I made do with my original with the small cracks but it looks good despite those. I may be able to find someone that can repair those cracks. There are miracle workers out there.

Let us know about that windshield when it arrives. I would like to have a spare someday.

Your hard work is paying off!

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw81jetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:

The ultimate prize, a pristine dashboard from Germany installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully my new windshield from the UK will arrive in June. It takes 10-12 weeks from Pilkington.

Walter

Is the orange knob for Fog lights?

Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club Staff
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Yes. Fog lights which I don’t have at the moment. But the knob looks really cool.
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

The windshield(s) arrived yesterday from Pilkington, UK. The shipping is expensive so it only made sense to get 2 windshields right away. I ordered them in March and they arrived in October. So you have to be patient. Here is the crate they came in.

And how the inside looked like.

Headliner is in.

At the moment, the transmission and engine are being installed. Can't wait to hear the engine running.

Then back to the upholsterer to finish up the interior.

Eventually...it will get done.
Cheers, Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Finally got here! Looks like everything is in one piece… cause for celebration! I like that container they used to ship. Seems like they care about what they are doing.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

After taking the winter off (so it seems), I'm back. The upholsterer finally got around to installing the front windshield and the rear windows. Now it will be heading to the mechanic to see if the engine will finally start. He claimed we needed a new fuel pump and an ECU. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this will do the trick. If so, then back to the upholsterer for all the rest. The brown seat in the pictures is only temporary...so don't panic! Cheers, Walter

Front windshield from Pilkington's; the chrome trim needs to be inserted yet:

Right rear window:

Rear window...hopefully the defroster works; also needs the chrome trim inserted:

Left rear window:

Sorry about the quality of the photos...should have taken them outside!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Very nice!

Do yourself a favor.....test the defroster BEFORE you install the glass. First just check the ohms between the two male terminals. If you do not read resistance it's got a break somewhere.

Also.....fuel pump I can see for sure if it's been sitting. If the pump does not run and voltage is there ....sure it needs a pump. Also if the pump runs and fail volume test, volune at pressure test or leak down test. You need a pump. Test the leakdown of the fu pressure regulator as well. If the pump is bad at this age the regulator suffers from the same issues.

You need to inquire as to HOW it was ascertained that an ECU is needed. That would be EXCEEDINGLY RARE. Just because it does not start does not indicate it needs an ECU.

If the ECU has been visibly submerged and is corroded....sure. Do not replace the ECU until all else has been set to spec. Throwing an ECU at a car where the ECU is not the real problem, may get it to start simply because the output specs from ECU to ECU are different enough to cause a change in fuel mixture.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

We have missed you Walter.

Yep, totally agree with Ray on your Computer/ECU. It would be very rare for it to be bad unless it has been abused. There are alot of other components that are problematic, including the wiring harness for the injection. My original harness checked out ok after doing a bunch of resistance and continuity tests. I had to rebuild my MPS and also get new trigger points. I also had to rebuild my fuel pump. I wanted the stock pump so sent it to Mr. Adney for a going over. Works flawlessly! Oh, almost forgot… new fuel injectors also. It’s all in my 2 threads. It was a few months of persistent sweat to get this engine right!

Beautiful work on the windows and rubber! What front windshield rubber are you using? Do you know what type of trim is going to fit? Also same for the rear window. My rear glass defroster quit working years ago… it is the original. It did not matter to me so I repurposed aand modified the rear defroster circuit to light up my fog lamps. A perfect fit for the fog lamps because of the higher amp draw for the defrost window originally. Wish I had a nice dedicated fog light switch like yours. Oh well…

Good to see you back,
Bill

Last edited by Pepperbilly on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
We have missed you Walter.

Yep, totally agree with Ray on your Computer/ECU. It would be very rare for it to be bad unless it has been abused. There are alot of other components that are problematic, including the wiring harness for the injection. My original harness checked out ok after doing a bunch of resistance and continuity tests. I had to rebuild my MPC and also get new trigger points. I also had to rebuild my fuel pump. I wanted the stock pump so sent it to Mr. Adney for a going over. Works flawlessly! Oh, almost forgot… new fuel injectors also. It’s all in my 2 threads. It was a few months of persistent sweat to get this engine right!

Beautiful work on the windows and rubber! What front windshield rubber are you using? Do you know what type of trim is going to fit? Also same for the rear window. My rear glass defroster quit working years ago… it is the original. It did not matter to me so I repurposed aand modified the rear defroster circuit to light up my fog lamps. A perfect fit for the fog lamps because of the higher amp draw for the defrost window originally. Wish I had a nice dedicated fog light switch like yours. Oh well…

Good to see you back,
Bill

We need to open a thread about type 4 window gaskets. Aside from the chrome trim...we can taklk about that too....but the type 3 rubber cross section is sooooo close to type 4 I know it will work.

And....from a thread in here....I think it was the guys at Wolfsburg west or West coast metric that pieced together a set for someone here....was that you?

Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

I'd say this is a noob question but since I don't own a Type 4, I don't even qualify for that name!

But unlike all other VW window trim, does the Type 4 trim go on after window installation, or does it have to be inserted into the rubber before the window goes in?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'd say this is a noob question but since I don't own a Type 4, I don't even qualify for that name!

But unlike all other VW window trim, does the Type 4 trim go on after window installation, or does it have to be inserted into the rubber before the window goes in?

If you are talking about the original seals and trim that the car came with, the method is the same as the older air-cooled cars. Meaning with the rubber fitted on the glass first on a bench or table. Then the trim is inserted carefully into the rubber with the end clips. With everything together, the complete unit is then installed in the car.

Now, I have noticed that on Walter's 412, he is using a seal that has only one channel or groove. This is a later style seal that was common on Super Beetles. This trim has only one point of attachment unlike the earlier style trim that had two. It was a C channel style.

Bill
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
The windshield(s) arrived yesterday from Pilkington, UK. The shipping is expensive so it only made sense to get 2 windshields right away. I ordered them in March and they arrived in October. So you have to be patient. Here is the crate they came in.

So I did, 3 Years ago. It took nearly as long, but delivery directly to the distributor who did the implementation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLrCFOyF8OQ/?igshid=bl5k3k3uy6tg&img_index=1

I'm still glad, that I have changed it, much better sight in the nights.
And it is the laminated version, much safer in case of damage.

Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

MarcVoss wrote:
NurseryWalt wrote:

So I did, 3 Years ago. It took nearly as long, but delivery directly to the distributor who did the implementation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLrCFOyF8OQ/?igshid=bl5k3k3uy6tg&img_index=1

I'm still glad, that I have changed it, much better sight in the nights.
And it is the laminated version, much safer in case of damage.

Hi Marc,
Where did you get the front windshield rubber seal? It looks very nice and seems to fit perfectly.. You have a beautiful 411!

Bill
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Thank you.

The rubber seal was and old one in very good condition without any cracks.
I polished the trim and I took also a new seal with me. But the guy in the workshop descided to use the old (original) one.
-> Yes it fitted perfectly.

Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Walt. What’s that parked in front of the bug? Subie 360?
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

I worked with WCM to get front and rear window seals made, they have them on special order, we worked through a couple different profiles until we found an exact match; late beetle window rubber. It fits perfectly. Check the where to get Type 4 parts sticky for details. You have to use the WCM order numbers in that thread, because it's not in the catalog.
vw81jetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Chris Walden wrote:
Walt. What’s that parked in front of the bug? Subie 360?

that looks to be a Nissan Figaro

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw81jetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
I worked with WCM to get front and rear window seals made, they have them on special order, we worked through a couple different profiles until we found an exact match; late beetle window rubber. It fits perfectly. Check the where to get Type 4 parts sticky for details. You have to use the WCM order numbers in that thread, because it's not in the catalog.

hoping to get a set when i get the extra cash .

412STi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

HELLO

I had an inquiry in September last year, because I wanted to know whether they were seals with a chrome strip or not.
I didn't fully understand the description.

AMERICAN STYLE ?? = Cal Look ??

Also wanted to know whether they even deliver to Europe/Germany.

Got the following answer!!

Hello - - - - - -,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we do not carry parts for your 411 / 412.

Good luck in your search.

I responded like this...
.....no further reaction to it

UPPS....

And what was this ?? >>>>>>

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22969794-seal-fr...y-wcm.html
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22969806-seal-re...y-wcm.html

?????
That is what i'm talking about.

greatings

****In Septemer it was "in stock" (But order on special request)

The oil can not be, was none in it.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

412STi wrote:
HELLO

I had an inquiry in September last year, because I wanted to know whether they were seals with a chrome strip or not.
I didn't fully understand the description.

AMERICAN STYLE ?? = Cal Look ??

Also wanted to know whether they even deliver to Europe/Germany.

Got the following answer!!

Hello - - - - - -,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we do not carry parts for your 411 / 412.

Good luck in your search.

I responded like this...
.....no further reaction to it

UPPS....

And what was this ?? >>>>>>

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22969794-seal-fr...y-wcm.html
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22969806-seal-re...y-wcm.html

?????
That is what i'm talking about.

greatings

****In Septemer it was "in stock" (But order on special request)

American Style means the rubber has grooves for Chrome Strip

Cal Style means the rubber has NO grooves. It cannot fit a Chrome Strip

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: